DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fragmentation sucks

1. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    OG Droid UD 3.0 -- GB :)

Fragmentation sucks

Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    some of that article isn't exactly fair i.e. how long the newest iOS has been out vs 2.3. its not a fair comparison at all, although i do agree with the overall theme that fragmentation is a problem
    DROID >>> THUNDERBOLT

movin' up.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    jfhrtn
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I agree with Boris on this one 2.3 hasn't been out long at all. The theme is kinda fragmented but the few parts that have been tested are good. 3g or the signal might need a lil attention? Any thoughts? I like GB just wish it would be officially released by vzw. Hoping February or march maybe?

Sent from my rooted D2
    Droid 2/Liberty v2.0.1/LP+/Oc'ed 1.3gHz LV

4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    gingersensed thunderbolt
    what you dont hear in that blog is the statistics where when they say 90% of apple products are on the latest iOS version, they are saying version 4.x (so 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3) and they compare that to one version of android. 2.3.....if you look at version 2.x for android, we are right up there with apple (i believe we were at 87%) then you have to take into consideration the ipod touch's and ipads as they all run iOS.
    i read an article about it but cant seem to find it.
    EDIT: found it
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/19...-iphone-users/

anyway, i agree fragmentation sucks, but to be honest, pretty much every phone out there could run android 2.3, but they dont take the time to money to do it since the latest and greatest is just around the corner....its silly to just throw money in something that doesn't get you any money. and i wouldn't say it is ANDROID (googles) fault for fragmentation, it is the manufacturers fault for insisting on running their skins over top of googles OS. if google forced manufacturers to run stock android, i would guess even a higher percentage would be on 2.x
    Last edited by turdbogls; 01-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    what you dont hear in that blog is the statistics where when they say 90% of apple products are on the latest iOS version, they are saying version 4.x (so 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3) and they compare that to one version of android. 2.3.....if you look at version 2.x for android, we are right up there with apple (i believe we were at 87%) then you have to take into consideration the ipod touch's and ipads as they all run iOS.
    i read an article about it but cant seem to find it.

anyway, i agree fragmentation sucks, but to be honest, pretty much every phone out there could run android 2.3, but they dont take the time to money to do it since the latest and greatest is just around the corner....its silly to just throw money in something that doesn't get you any money. and i wouldn't say it is ANDROID (googles) fault for fragmentation, it is the manufacturers fault for insisting on running their skins over top of googles OS. if google forced manufacturers to run stock android, i would guess even a higher percentage would be on 2.x
    i'm asking this because i hadn't seen this and not to be smart. where does it say that they're talking about 4.x when they mention the "latest version" of iOS and not the actual latest version?

and your last two sentences contradict themselves. it is Google's fault because they allow manufacturers to run their skins. Apple doesn't have fragmentation problems because (1) there is only one device, and one manufacturer and (2) because they don't allow anything on their OS that they don't approve including down to a logo from their carriers.

What Google allows is the very definition of fragmentation.
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  6. Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Premium Member
    this whole argument is a fallacy IMO. plenty of computers won't run certain software (or all features of an OS) on windows and linux, but nobody yells about this with them.
    this is only used as an argument against android.
    Dave MacLeod

7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by dmacleo View Post
    this whole argument is a fallacy IMO. plenty of computers won't run certain software (or all features of an OS) on windows and linux, but nobody yells about this with them.
    this is only used as an argument against android.
    i'm pretty sure all of the newer android phones from the D1 up have the capability to run gingerbread. it's not a hardware limitation. it's fragmentation
    Google Interview Q&A

Apple CEO, Verizon COO
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by czerdrill View Post
    i'm pretty sure all of the newer android phones from the D1 up have the capability to run gingerbread. it's not a hardware limitation. it's fragmentation
    But there is fragmentation in the PC business. You can't talk fragmentation in a vacuum ignoring installed base. Fragmentation is only an issue when the ROI isn't there for developers and so they quit making software.

I have mixed feelings on the UI. Sure, I'd prefer Google put an end to that so everyone can easily get pushed the latest updates. But the cell mfrs are just trying to protect margins. In PC, almost all the profits are in OS, software, and chips. But I don't see the custom UI adding much value. What the cell mfrs should really focus on is a proprietary home launcher that users have the option to uninstall. I guess that's kind of what they're trying to do and doing badly.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I'd much rather have fragmentation than one phone to pick from. I converted from iphone for a reason. If people want an iphone, go get one. There is always something to complain about, if you look hard enough.
    Thunderbolt
    CM7 Pre-Alpha
    Good bye MOTO
  10. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1567 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post

You can't talk fragmentation in a vacuum ignoring installed base. Fragmentation is only an issue when the ROI isn't there for developers and so they quit making software.
    Bold for emphasis...end of discussion. This is why I cringe when I see people use the word "fragmentation." Fragmentation has become this word that people in the blogesphere like to vomit all over the place.

Android fragmentation smagmantation....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links