DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Verizon LTE Phone Release Dates?

  1. Senior Droid
    rybnik's Avatar
    Member #
    145606
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    #11
    I agree, from my POV, I think I might want something a little better than the Bionic, don't get me wrong, the Bionic seems like a great device...just not quite as good as the Optimus 2x or even more so..the Atrix. It does seem that positioning the Bionic like this will turn it in to another Droid Eris....I want the next X caliber device..Thin but with all the benefits of these latest devices.. FFC, same QHD level display Dual Core HDMI and 1930mAh battery!

    Is this too much to ask for?
    Last edited by rybnik; 01-14-2011 at 07:03 PM.
  2. Droid Sensei
    kodiak799's Avatar
    Member #
    39354
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,709
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    I agree, and I believe that's why it'll be the last one out (of the mentioned CES devices). But by June, the Bionic won't be the only dual-core phone on the horizon... which will hurt it. Seems like a rock and a hard place to me.
    Mostly guessing, but what might be happening is VZW telling the mfr what they want in each phone and when it will be slotted. Try to space them 4-6 weeks apart and make sure each has some incremental upgrade or differentiating feature so that, for 4-6 weeks, it's the latest and greatest for a batch of upgrades in that timeframe. Remember most users are on an upgrade cycle and are going to tend not to wait (most won't even know what's in the pipeline).

    Might seem unfair that the Thunderbolt gets a leg up and will continue to sell even when newer devices make it relatively obsolete pretty quickly, but perhaps that's the trade-off for HTC deliberately withholding features/hardware for when VZW wants to slot it.

    It's an interesting balancing act until the hardware becomes, essentially, a commodity (and we seem to be getting close). At that point, perhaps all bets are off and we start to see some truly exceptional, out-of-the-box design and features when mfrs can't differentiate on hardware any more.
  3. Senior Droid
    rybnik's Avatar
    Member #
    145606
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiak799 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    I agree, and I believe that's why it'll be the last one out (of the mentioned CES devices). But by June, the Bionic won't be the only dual-core phone on the horizon... which will hurt it. Seems like a rock and a hard place to me.

    Might seem unfair that the Thunderbolt gets a leg up and will continue to sell even when newer devices make it relatively obsolete pretty quickly, but perhaps that's the trade-off for HTC deliberately withholding features/hardware for when VZW wants to slot it.

    It's an interesting balancing act until the hardware becomes, essentially, a commodity (and we seem to be getting close). At that point, perhaps all bets are off and we start to see some truly exceptional, out-of-the-box design and features when mfrs can't differentiate on hardware any more.
    By hardware becoming a commodity do you mean, all the phones having almost the same specs, it just comes down to the quality of the parts, or what?
    Like say a Vizio LCD TV vs a Samsung LCD TV?
  4. Droid Sensei
    kodiak799's Avatar
    Member #
    39354
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,709
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by rybnik View Post
    By hardware becoming a commodity do you mean, all the phones having almost the same specs, it just comes down to the quality of the parts, or what?
    More or less, and I don't expect quality of parts to be a huge deal. And not to say that some won't try to differentiate on specs, but like the 12MP camera at some point it becomes overkill and there's no real value to the consumer.

    When I say "commodity" I mean there's not really any hardware you can add or upgrade that will enable you to charge much of a premium (in PC's, at least, tech drives prices down and you have upgrades to maintain price but most new boxes are all getting the same upgrades). Heck, I'm waiting for a streamlined mfring process where cell phones made-to-order becomes the norm.

    It's all going to play out like the PC industry in part because in a year or two the cell is going to be a serious competitor to netbooks/tablets/laptop's/desktops. For what it's worth, nearly all the margin in the PC business goes to just the OS and processor - the profits on putting the box together are blechhh. So when people say the PC is a commodity they mean margins for assembling the box are razor thin.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 01-14-2011 at 07:04 PM.
  5. Senior Droid
    rybnik's Avatar
    Member #
    145606
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    #15
    Ah..But in the PC industry, there aren't really contract costs built in. People pay the full price for the device and that is it. Cell phones are almost all subsidized purchases, although I don't know how much the carriers pay the actual manufacturers, what I do know is that we, consumers are paying WAY more than we would if we were just buying PCs....I don't really see that changing. The carriers will figure out some way of stringing along the consumers, just as they do now...After all, processors and form factor and (some ) other hardware features keep coming along..albeit, slowly.
    Last edited by rybnik; 01-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.
  6. DF News Team
    Preach2k's Avatar
    Member #
    83229
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    1,852
    Liked
    158 times
    Twitter
    DroidNCState
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by rybnik View Post
    I agree, from my POV, I think I might want something a little better than the Bionic, don't get me wrong, the Bionic seems like a great device...just not quite as good as the Optimus 2x or even more so..the Atrix. It does seem that positioning the Bionic like this will turn it in to another Droid Eris....I want the next X caliber device..Thin but with all the benefits of these latest devices.. FFC, same QHD level display Dual Core HDMI and 1930mAh battery!

    Is this too much to ask for?
    How is the Atrix Better then the Droid? Because it has a Docking Station to A notebook? Please do not say the 1G Ram? 5mp Camera? What is it that make it Better? AT&T lol Please?
  7. Senior Droid
    rybnik's Avatar
    Member #
    145606
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    OG Motorolla Droid
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rybnik View Post
    I agree, from my POV, I think I might want something a little better than the Bionic, don't get me wrong, the Bionic seems like a great device...just not quite as good as the Optimus 2x or even more so..the Atrix. It does seem that positioning the Bionic like this will turn it in to another Droid Eris....I want the next X caliber device..Thin but with all the benefits of these latest devices.. FFC, same QHD level display Dual Core HDMI and 1930mAh battery!

    Is this too much to ask for?
    How is the Atrix Better then the Droid? Because it has a Docking Station to A notebook? Please do not say the 1G Ram? 5mp Camera? What is it that make it Better? AT&T lol Please?
    Yeah, actually. That docking feature is quite a big deal..it is really not that far fetched to say that you could replace a low-medium power netbook with your cell phone..I think that is a fairly powerful idea....Also, as someone else pointed out, the number of megapixels a camera has is kind of moot when we are in the 5-8 range already...Other factors take over in importance like lens quality, for instance...This is less important but also the fact that the phone is slightly smaller but utilizes the same screen resolution means that the picture quality will appear slightly cleaner on the Atrix as well.

    Really the only thing I don't like about the Atrix is that it is on AT&T and really we all know why. Verizon gave up the opportunity to have all the best Android phones so they could have a piece of the fruit. That was the price they paid. The Bionic is a bit of a consolation prize...but don't kid yourself, it is second best..Just look at all the CES best of cell phone awards, it is pretty much agreed that the Atrix takes the cake.
    Last edited by rybnik; 01-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.
  8. Master Droid
    kingsway8605's Avatar
    Member #
    79936
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    478
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    Verizon 4G LTE Phone Release Dates?





    The most popular question seen on Twitter is easily, “When is [insert 4G device] coming out?”



    • HTC Thunderbolt – End of February, early March
    • Samsung SCH-i510 – March
    • LG Revolution – March, early April
    • DROID BIONIC – Early Summer, June

    Now, this is speculation at this time. We’re just going with every little detail that’s been dropped at our doorstep and are then attempting to piece the story together. All I can say is, can these get here fast enough? Anyone else bored with all of the current devices?


    by Kellex


    Source
    Well Verizon said early Q2 for the Droid Bionic. The second quarter is April to June, so early Q2 would most likely be April.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  9. Master Droid
    Vanilla Ice's Avatar
    Member #
    131494
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    City of Purple and Gold L.A.
    Posts
    289
    Phone
    D1.iPhone4.DX.TB.Next Bionic!
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsway8605 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    Verizon 4G LTE Phone Release Dates?










    The most popular question seen on Twitter is easily, “When is [insert 4G device] coming out?”



    • HTC Thunderbolt – End of February, early March
    • Samsung SCH-i510 – March
    • LG Revolution – March, early April
    • DROID BIONIC – Early Summer, June
    Now, this is speculation at this time. We’re just going with every little detail that’s been dropped at our doorstep and are then attempting to piece the story together. All I can say is, can these get here fast enough? Anyone else bored with all of the current devices?


    by Kellex


    Source
    Well Verizon said early Q2 for the Droid Bionic. The second quarter is April to June, so early Q2 would most likely be April.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I'd say verizon is going to give it at least a month or more after their big release feb 10th. so i would say end of march we should start seeing 4g phones.
  10. Droid Sensei
    kodiak799's Avatar
    Member #
    39354
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,709
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
    I'd say verizon is going to give it at least a month or more after their big release feb 10th. so i would say end of march we should start seeing 4g phones.
    Maybe....Depends on when their LTE handset service truly is ready to launch. Obviously data is up and running but heard voice could be a while, although voice will go over 3G no big deal.

    But VZW won't wait any longer than they have to for LTE handsets. They need and want to show ROI to investors. Really, after 2 weeks the big crush for IPhone sales will be over. They've got a week for existing customers and then that gives them a week for external. Plus, a lot of that will be done by Apple through its own stores. Only thing is number porting which shouldn't affect LTE all that much, at least initially.

    I'll bet the Thunderbolt is out no later than the 1st week in March. The way I see it, they have 5 devices, plus the IP5 (presumably), so that's 6 phones to launch over 5-6 months, so that would imply about 4 weeks between each device. VZW is really not in the business of selling phones, and the only reason they'd delay launches is strictly because of operational challenges and maybe if the mfrs each want to be showcased for a bit, although I'd think a mfr would want their phone on sale as soon as it's ready to ship.
    Last edited by kodiak799; 01-16-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Droid Release Dates
    By danDroid in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  2. Verizon CES 2011 Full Press Release
    By dgstorm in forum Droid Forums Member News Depot
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 07:08 AM
  3. Official with commercial verizon 4G release
    By Droid101 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 05:54 AM
  4. Motorola Droid X - Verizon Press Release
    By danDroid in forum Android News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
  5. Verizon Droid Release Date, Price
    By danDroid in forum Android News
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 04:11 AM

Search tags for this page

bionic phone release
,
droid bionic release date
,
lg i510
,
lte phone release dates
,
samsung revolution release date
,
samsung sch-i510
,
samsung-sch-i510
,

verizon bionic release date

,
verizon phone release dates
,
verizon phones
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+