This is from a whole lot of brainstorming, reading, headaches & lack of sleep. I now understand Odin & Heimdall a whole lot better; & my skills with Samsung Android phones have increased a bit more. I hope that at least one person can benefit from having a modified param.lfs for a custom boot splash.
Let me know if there are any ways that I can improve this post.
Before you begin, this is for the fearless types that know what they're doing or go all out even if they're jumping into a tornado. Your phone may soft-brick if something goes wrong.
Modified Instructions (from kmalinich's thread):
- Rooted Samsung Droid Charge
- Working ADB
- Latest Odin3
- Hacked param.lfs (attached & mirrored)
- New jpeg boot logo size 480x800 (less than 64KB - test to see if larger works)
- Copy your new splash image (logo.jpg) to your sd card however you'd like.
- Remove your SIM card for safe keeping until this process is finished
- Start Odin
- Enter download mode (reboot to it or disconnect the phone, take out the battery, press the volume down button, plugin the USB cable, wait for the download screen to appear & place the battery back in)
- Extract param_mod.tar.md5 from droid_charge_param_mod.zip
- Flash hacked param_mod.tar.md5 via Odin3 in the PDA area _*ONLY*_
- Reboot into CWM recovery
- Mount the system partition from within CWM
- Open ADB shell
- Enter these commands:
Code:mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl7 /mnt/.lfs cp /sdcard/logo.jpg /mnt/.lfs/logo.jpg
- Reboot and enjoy!
- I've tested multiple versions of Heimdall with just the modified param.lfs & it fails to upload 99 times out of 100. I recommend Odin3, SamsungPST Lite, or redbend_ua.
- The boot splash image only appears for a short while since the Droid Charge kernels have splash images, too. If you'd like the same image for the duration of boot, utilize an app or a guide to change your favorite kernel's splash image.
modded param.lfs - http://db.tt/fjyx4uEf
sample boot splash - http://db.tt/Nj26hmb6
original param.lfs - http://db.tt/HcCZ6O0H
Free Your Android - Modifying Samsung Splash Screens (Galaxy S Series + SGS2) <- how I learned to do it
[Mod][ec09] samsung boot splash/image change 7.7.11 - xda-developers <- how I learned about it with the Fascinate
Fixes & verification of FP5E by Tanno of DroidForums