DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooting Charge On Mac OSX - Help

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge

Rooting Charge On Mac OSX - Help

Hey guys,
    So I'd hate to be a broken record if this is posted somewhere, but I have been searching all over for a way to root my Charge through MAC Ver 10.6.8. I can't find anything anywhere. I don't have access to a PC, nor do I have a version of windows to partition onto my drive. I'd say I'm familiar with rooting considering I rooted my Thunderbolt, but I kind of forgot how I did it lol. Someone actually helped me via Skype actually. Anyways, I would love to root this Charge of mine, so if you guys know a way, please help. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I'm still somewhat newbish to this. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

P.s. I have the EE4 version I believe...

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Bump. Really? No one??
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    i have seen a couple people working on things but nothing i am confident in suggesting at this point sorry.
    i have a friend on the other forum who flashes her phone plenty but she uses a friends pc because she isnt confident in whats available.
    she is going to put windoze on her mac soon, thats really the most reliable option at this point that im aware of, sorry.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
    i have seen a couple people working on things but nothing i am confident in suggesting at this point sorry.
    i have a friend on the other forum who flashes her phone plenty but she uses a friends pc because she isnt confident in whats available.
    she is going to put windoze on her mac soon, thats really the most reliable option at this point that im aware of, sorry.
    Well thank you for responding at least. No one else seems to want to lol. *High Five*
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    gcastilloo
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    I would never attempt it. I still keep my Windows laptop around for things like this. I can see why they wouldn't answer. They don't want to give you bad info or speak on something they don't know. Makes more sense than steering you in the wrong direction.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneCroughan View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I'd hate to be a broken record if this is posted somewhere, but I have been searching all over for a way to root my Charge through MAC Ver 10.6.8. I can't find anything anywhere. I don't have access to a PC, nor do I have a version of windows to partition onto my drive. I'd say I'm familiar with rooting considering I rooted my Thunderbolt, but I kind of forgot how I did it lol. Someone actually helped me via Skype actually. Anyways, I would love to root this Charge of mine, so if you guys know a way, please help. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, I'm still somewhat newbish to this. Thanks guys!!!!!!!

There is heimdall that you can use to flash Imnuts' CWM. I have used it on Ubuntu with no problems. It's a little bit more than using Odin3 but not bad.

The link below has a good guide for using heimdall.

http://goo.gl/huYNk

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rj57; 09-12-2011 at 05:58 PM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    Well thank you for responding at least. No one else seems to want to lol. *High Five*
    no problem
    as previously stated, i didnt want to give info i wasnt confident in.... sorry i couldnt be of more help..
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Twitter
    is a bird sound
    Phone
    S3, Nexus7
    Premium Member
    Hey guys,

Quote Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rj57 View Post
    There is heimdall that you can use to flash Imnuts' CWM. I have used it on Ubuntu with no problems. It's a little bit more than using Odin3 but not bad.

The link below has a good guide for using heimdall.

[GUIDE] Flashing with Heimdall - xda-developers
    Hiya Shane. I'm the friend Bwen mentioned...I have and love my Mac. Imo, Heimdall is not a straight forward process such as Odin and wading through the post s/he linked is rather tedious. I've been over it several times as well as other sites. I tried using it a couple of times and was never successful. The process breaks down some of the file packages and it's easy to get messed up whereas Odin just recognizes the md5 file and you don't have to extract deeper into the package to find individual files. I'm glad jr57 and other have been able to use Heimdall...but I don't want the headache of trying to figure out where the process went wrong.

If you want to give it a try, I strongly recommend you really research the process and be very comfortable using Mac. Read the initial post very carefully as there are specific Mac OS X issues with Heimdall. Linux, Ubuntu and Windows do not. If something goes wrong (as it did for me) you have to fix it with Odin. I am an experienced and long time Mac user and hack my Charge regularly (hacked my Fassy, too) but I don't believe Heimdall is a smooth process. That's my 2 cents worth.

You can also check out this forum's sister site: Droid Charge Forum
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    I just went through this last week. Heimdall is very sketchy on new Mac OS. The new release is attempting a more user friendly interface, but I believe sacrificed dependability. You could always down the programs and use a PCB at work, school, library.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by IamGov View Post
    I just went through this last week. Heimdall is very sketchy on new Mac OS. The new release is attempting a more user friendly interface, but I believe sacrificed dependability. You could always down the programs and use a PCB at work, school, library.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
    Since this was from months ago, has anyone found a way to root a Samsung Droid Charge using a Mac?
    Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links