DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Where to start?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @robbybettin
    Phone
    Droid Charge

Question Where to start?

I'm coming from a Droid 1 that had Chevy no1 mod on it and it was an amazingly fast phone. I then went to the Droid Charge thinking there would be the same amount of customization there was for the Droid 1. Boy was I wrong. Basically I want my phone to be debloated of all the garbage Verizon has put on it, I want it overclocked so its actually fast, no more lag, no more home screen redraws and app-drawer redraws. What else...basically I want my phone as fast as my droid 1 which was more lower end than the Charge.

Ive cruised around the forums here but don't know where to start. Should I just wait till Verizon rolls out the gingerbread update for the charge or root it now and put cfw on it. I thought I knew about droids till I got a new phone haha!
    Motorola Droid 1 to Samsung Droid Charge, GummyCharged 1.91

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by roboman342 View Post
    I'm coming from a Droid 1 that had Chevy no1 mod on it and it was an amazingly fast phone. I then went to the Droid Charge thinking there would be the same amount of customization there was for the Droid 1. Boy was I wrong. Basically I want my phone to be debloated of all the garbage Verizon has put on it, I want it overclocked so its actually fast, no more lag, no more home screen redraws and app-drawer redraws. What else...basically I want my phone as fast as my droid 1 which was more lower end than the Charge.

Ive cruised around the forums here but don't know where to start. Should I just wait till Verizon rolls out the gingerbread update for the charge or root it now and put cfw on it. I thought I knew about droids till I got a new phone haha!
    So you expected a phone that's been out for a couple months to be just as customize-able as a phone that's been out for years??

Anyway, I too came from a D1 (ran Bugless, Chevy, CM7, etc) and I love my Charge. You need to root it, install a custom ROM and kernel (enable the voodoo lagfix) and you'll be good to go. There are some overclocking kernels out there if you'd like. The only difference I noticed when overclocking is higher quadrant scores and AnTuTu Benchmark scores. Whoopty doo. This phone is plenty fast at the stock 1000mhz. (with voodoo enabled of course.)
    Every time a phone is rooted, an angel gets its wings.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @robbybettin
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Alright what do you suggest I run? I see what youre running is in your signature so I figure hey Ill do what he did. By chance you could provide me with some links or a point I could start from
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @robbybettin
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    OK im following a pretty decent guide on XDA Developers but what the **** is a kernel. I thought GummyChargedGBE blah blah blah 1.91 is the kernel. Whatever Im at part 5 which says its optional of this guide. [HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4 - xda-developers I feel like such a noob
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    Phone
    Bionic, Gnex, N7, RMHD, G2
    its best to get the ones that say "full Odin" everything you need is all in one flash. you dont just want root, its a waste of time.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
    its best to get the ones that say "full Odin" everything you need is all in one flash. you dont just want root, its a waste of time.
    Exactly. Flash an entire ODIN package and you'll be all set.

Here's a good write-up on how to use ODIN: [How to] Return to Stock, FULL with modem ED2 Odin package(Last resort fix) - Android Forums

Now mind you, there are some other things in that write-up, but using ODIN is the same for whatever file you decide to flash.

And here is the ODIN package that I am currently running:
    [ROM][EE4][ODIN]+[CWM] GummyCharge FE 1.9.1 07/21/11

GummyCharged 1.9.1 is the ROM. Peanut Butter Jelly Time is the kernel.

Think of it like this, a ROM is the operating system like Windows XP. A kernel is the drivers that make the hardware and software work together.
    Every time a phone is rooted, an angel gets its wings.

Links