DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper & ICS OTA Failure

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper & ICS OTA Failure

I permitted the ICS download from VZW but did not install. I went to VooDoo Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot and then proceeded to install ICS. About 25% into the upgrade, the yellow status bar at the bottom of the screen stopped and a white triangle with an exclamation mark appeared and the process halted. The device automatically rebooted back to it original state with a message that the update failed. In the next attempt, I temporarily unrooted with VooDoo FIRST and then proceeded with the upgrade process with a new download from VZW. The failed results were the same. I currently have: Bionic Bootstrapper, Superuser and SuperSU (from a previous recommendation), but have not done anything with them. The only reason I ever really rooted was so I could used Titanium Backup Pro. But, I have to wonder if it's really worth it all since every upgrade is never hassle free, no matter how I try to prevent it. Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks much!

3. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    You can easily root after the ICS .246 OTA using razr's edge..... so no reason not to be completely stock .905 in order to take that OTA, no need to try to have anything about root on your phone when taking the OTA.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Thank you, Mbk, for your response. However, I don't understand as to how you recommend I proceed at this point.
  5. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    If the update is failing, it is likely due to it not being completely stock .905..... so you can either FXZ back to .902 and perhaps even straight to .246 using the .2746 FXZ, or I think you can use Samuri's House of Bionics method (I've not tried the HoB method)....
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Thanks again for your response. Both. 902 and. 905 I had to "cable up" and run community provided routines which brought me up to date and left root in place. It now appears I'm faced with the same type of thing for the third time.

Would it be easier to perform a wipe? Though, if my. 905 is somehow or another not stock, wouldn't I just set myself back even further having lost apps, email setups, lost contacts, etc?

Maybe, I should try HoB or something and get ready to cable-up again.
  7. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    cabling up?? meaning connected via USB?
    .902 & .905 cableup and routine?? meaning you FXZ'd?
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Just noticed you were involved in my last FXZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    cabling up?? meaning connected via USB? .902 & .905 cableup and routine?? meaning you FXZ'd?
    Yes sir, I meant USB. For my last point release upgrade, Sargentmajord posted how-to instructions to: "5.5.5.893 fxz 901 and 902 compatible update" which allowed me to get to .905. As a matter of fact, he gave you credit for your contribution. Sadly, for whatever reason, I find myself in the same boat again. Is there a way to validate/verify that my current .905 is stock? Given that I've done nothing out of the ordinary with the device, not even removal/freeze of bloatware, I'm at a loss what is wrong, what I may have done and/or what to do about it. I'm about ready to give up on this root business since, aside from Titanium Backup, rooting has only given me upgrade headaches. If I perform a wipe and if my current .905 is somehow not stock, I'll have accomplished nothing since another OTA attempt will likely fail again. And, if I wipe and lose root, I couldn't restore with Titanium backup. Right? Again, suggestions or assistance are welcomed and thank you for what you have done for the Bionic user community.
  9. Android For Life
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Phone
    Premium Member
    wipe, FXZ'ing back to .902, then taking the .905 OTA, then the .246 OTA...from there you can root again using Razr's edge, reinstall titanium to restore your apps
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Easy for YOU to say....

Quote Originally Posted by Mbk View Post
    wipe, FXZ'ing back to .902, then taking the .905 OTA, then the .246 OTA...from there you can root again using Razr's edge, reinstall titanium to restore your apps
    Wipe: Settings->Privacy->Factory Data Reset (not SD card) - FXZing back to .902: (?Instructions would be helpful?) - OTA: Settings->About->System Updates (VZW will first update to .905 and when it done, I repeat the process)
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

246 FXZ ICS Bionic

If you are going to fxz, than go straight to 246 fxz & dont even worry about being rooted or stock or what is installed.
    FXZ will wipe everything except what is on your Sd card & put the phone as if it came from Motorola with 246 ICS.

Look at this post on how to do it.
    Guide to use RSDLite to install the .246 ICS FXZ - updated 10-24-2012

You can root after & use Titanium to re install all your apps & date that goes with them.
    madmako likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links