DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: USB Port problem

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbold and Moto Droid

USB Port problem

After using my new Bionic for a while I realized that the USB port has a serious problem. The USB cable, any cable for that matter, has to be plugged in just to the point before it drops into place. So I have to do the equivalent of inching the plug in but with millimeters. If I don't get it exactly perfect then it doesn't work. Is there an easy way to replace the USB port on the phone, and if so, can somebody show me or tell me how to do it please? It's getting really annoying because charging the phone is pretty important.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, retired D1
    Have you tried cleaning out the USB port thoroughly? My headphone jack port had a similar issue and just had a bunch of lint in it. I used a combination of a small paper clip and compressed air to clean it out, now good as new. Also, have you tried a different cable and/or are you using the one that came with it? I haven't seen an easy way to replace the port itself.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I am using a cable that came with my Motorola droid. I just bought the Bionic from a guy on craigslist who is currently looking for the charger and will give it to me as soon as he finds it. I have tried multiple cables and they all do the same thing. I have not tried to clean out the USB port so I might try that. I have cleaned headphone jacks on my previous devices so I might try to clean out the USB port and headphone jack. I'll give it a try as soon as I can.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Tried alcohol and USB still broken. the headphone jack didnt work at all but i was able to clean it and restore functionality. it works if i put it in right. functional but tedious
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1417 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    OK.. you might try powering off the device and using alcohol on the end of the cable, plug and unplug it several times.. do the cables fit securely??? Could the guy have damaged the port by incorrectly plugging in the cable several times??

My wife's maxx had a similar issue, a new cable fixed it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hondasarecool View Post
    I am using a cable that came with my Motorola droid. I just bought the Bionic from a guy on craigslist who is currently looking for the charger and will give it to me as soon as he finds it. I have tried multiple cables and they all do the same thing. I have not tried to clean out the USB port so I might try that. I have cleaned headphone jacks on my previous devices so I might try to clean out the USB port and headphone jack. I'll give it a try as soon as I can.
    I too just bought a used (supposedly not much) Bionic and just plugged in PC for first time and discovered the connection is VERY touchy. NOT happy... Barely moving the cord causes connection to go off and on.
    --
    Droid Bionic while trying to unbrick Droid Razr MAXX, Fascinate, original Droid

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    I got mine new a few months ago, and this happens occasionally. Sometimes its just the charger plugin attached to the wall. Im sure you've already tried but make sure that's all the way plugged in securely. Lol.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Links