This is a question I've been asking myself as of late.
I've had a Bionic since it was released back in September. Overall I really enjoy it and LTE. I did have issues with it, but 893 resolved a good chunk of them. All except the data drops.
The data drops have plagued me since the beginning, and they continue to today. I was hoping the 893 update would alleviate it, but it didn't. So then I hoped another update would. When 901 didn't do it I just assumed it was the network. That maybe once vzw grew it a bit more and fixed a few things it would be fine.
So, I just believed it was the network. Yet, overtime I keep on seeing posts like:
Stuff like that makes me wonder if it's actually the phone. Personally, I live in a fringe area:
- I live in a fringe LTE area and 893/901 fixed my data drops
- I never had a data drop on my bionc
- I got rid of my bionic for (insert other LTE phone) and haven't had a single data drop
That's where I live, which is where I notice most of the drops. I don't really look at my phone much when traveling about, but I have seen it data drop outside the home. I know it's fringe, but if others who live in fringe areas are not getting the data drops (or are successfully transitioning from LTE to EVDO) then I'd hope I'd have it as well.
I guess what I'm conflicted by is:
Do I keep my Bionic and hope that it's just the network. Or Get rid of the Bionic for another LTE device, and hope that it was the device.
I've put some money into the Bionic. HDMI cable (pretty cheap, but what other high end LTE phone has a microHDMI port?) and some of the docks. All which would be useless with another LTE phone.
I've done the following:
Think that's about it.
- Put battery in performance mode
- Installed the 893 update when it was released
- Installed the accidental 901 update
- Pulled the battery and the SIM countless amounts of time
- Factory Restarted around 5 times and not including the google restore data stuff
- Get a replacement
- Restart Connections is kind of a crap shot.
I'm just hoping to get some kind of guidance on the matter. I have no problems waiting for the LTE network to mature, or even going from LTE to EVDO. The data drops are just irritating, and if I can get rid of them then I'm all for it. I guess I just want to know which it is so I can do something about it. The last thing I want is to have a phone that is just going to constantly drop data till 2013.