Not sure what happened, but it appears that my Bionic's GPS decided to die on me. Appears to have happened sometime near the beginning of the Christmas weekend, when I had to use Navigation and my location was WAY off, like... next town over off. I didn't think too much of it due to the issues VZW's been having lately, with the network, but during the whole trip (at least an hour drive, and 70 miles into 3g territory) my location never got better than a 2400m radius and lagged way behind my actual position. Under normal conditions, I usually get 10m accuracy with under 30sec of sync time.
Rebooting, battery pulls, GPS Tester, etc all didn't help any, and neither did waiting a couple days to see if maybe the issue was network-related and would just go away. My phone was running OTA .893 radio/kernel and Eclipse 2.0, so I thought it may have been ROM issue. I wiped the phone and [K]IN3TIX a shot, but got similar results. I even updated to the .901 firmware, hoping the new radio/kernel would help things out. Unfortunately, now I'm getting data drops and very erratic wifi connectivity (dropped connection, very few bars even though I'm 8ft from the router and in line of sight).
I left Maps running all last night hoping to finally get a stable lock, which it finally did. Once I closed and reopened Maps, though, I was back to square one. I was in St. Louis today and even in 27Mb 4G, I can't get under a 90m lock. Navigation thinks I'm a few blocks away from where I actually am and is completely useless. Weirdest issue I had was yesterday, back at home. GPS said I was in the next town over, with a 1600m radius, and my marker was actually MOVING across the map. GPS Test actually registered a speed and heading.
Really sorry for the long post, but this is the first real major issue I've had with this phone and haven't come across anything similar to this, before. I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this and how/if they managed to solve it. Haven't called VZW yet; phone's fully covered, but I was hoping to exhaust other options before getting stuck with a refurb. :frown:
my gps had the same problems as yours.i had to have vzw send a new one.it wasnt a refurb it a used like new phone.2 days later i broke that phone and had to call asurion.they sent me a brand new phone still in its original box.
Both reps I talked to on the phone were just as dumbfounded as I was, although the first one tried to blame Google and their "3rd party apps". New phone arrived today and I got a 6m accuracy within 30 secs, on first run of Google Maps. Ran it side-by-side with my old one and it still can't even get a lock. Glad I pushed for a replacement.
This happened to me..I got a replacement from Verizon and haven't had issues(6m lock in under teen seconds) until I ran the eclipse ROM again..now it takes up to a minute to get a lock..it seems to be progressive..I think it has to do with the ROM...never had any issues until running that as a daily driver
Originally Posted by HonKudasai