DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My update experience(what worked for me)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

My update experience(what worked for me)

Thought I would post my experiences on the 5.5.893 OTA. Two days ago I checked and the update was available. My phone was rooted(one-click), never applied any leaked update, had some bloatware frozen with TiBu. The only other hack was the Webtop hack to allow Webtop use without the dock. After downloading update, tried it without touching anything - failed. Unfroze the bloatware - failed. The webtop hack requied Bionic Bootstrapper, so I uninstalled Bootstrapper - failed. At this point I was pretty sure the failures were due to the Webtop hack. Scoured through this forum for a while last night and did the following:
    1. Full backup with TiBu
    2. Downloaded R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1
    3. Followed instructions and chose option 1 to restore, root and 43v3r root
    4. Phone now back to stock
    5. Check for, download, and apply 5.5.893
    6. Update successful, root retained
    7. Restore with TiBu
    Other than homescreen and widgets needing organized, all is back up and working. Haven't had the update long enough to comment on its effectiveness, but a quick test of the camera definitely shows improvement. Haven't yet tested to see if Webtop works, but I'm guessing it won't till I reapply the hack.

A huge thank you to all the forum members, devs and modders that made this all possible!!!
    RK KINGKONG likes this.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I got the update two days ago, my phone is stock and was not rooted. I have noticed that it retains the data network better (3g/4g) and the camera's response is faster. I was hoping it would resolve the buzzing sound when I use amplified speakers but it didn't seem to, it happens less, but it still happens.

Mike
    RK KINGKONG likes this.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I played with the camera today and it is incredibly faster than it was. I was actually amazed by how well it focused in low light situations. I can't put my finger on it but overall it seems like everything is a little snappier. I'm not a good one to comment on data drops cause I had very few problems prior to the update in that department. In any case, it seems that we are moving forward albeit slowly.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I'm to the same point...needing to reset back to factory and start all over. My issue will be that since I'm already on OTA without root I don't have use of TiBu. I tried pretty much all the adb hacks out there to add root. All fail.

I plan to reset to factory, root (+forever), apply OTA, reinstall purchased apps from market.android.com. Other than loss of data does anything about this plan appear as bad?

TiBu will be my 1st new purchase after this....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    droidbionicroot
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Rooted, even after using RELEASED ROOT tool option 1. I want to get the update, but it fails everytime. I can't figure out whats going on?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    BIONIC BEAST
    Quote Originally Posted by colorfulbliss View Post
    Thought I would post my experiences on the 5.5.893 OTA. Two days ago I checked and the update was available. My phone was rooted(one-click), never applied any leaked update, had some bloatware frozen with TiBu. The only other hack was the Webtop hack to allow Webtop use without the dock. After downloading update, tried it without touching anything - failed. Unfroze the bloatware - failed. The webtop hack requied Bionic Bootstrapper, so I uninstalled Bootstrapper - failed. At this point I was pretty sure the failures were due to the Webtop hack. Scoured through this forum for a while last night and did the following:
    1. Full backup with TiBu
    2. Downloaded R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1
    3. Followed instructions and chose option 1 to restore, root and 43v3r root
    4. Phone now back to stock
    5. Check for, download, and apply 5.5.893
    6. Update successful, root retained
    7. Restore with TiBu
    Other than homescreen and widgets needing organized, all is back up and working. Haven't had the update long enough to comment on its effectiveness, but a quick test of the camera definitely shows improvement. Haven't yet tested to see if Webtop works, but I'm guessing it won't till I reapply the hack.

A huge thank you to all the forum members, devs and modders that made this all possible!!!

according to your thread here / i did all the same steps but before so i didnt back anything up .cause i figured i can just go ahead and reflash once i had the new update .. however i was wrong . cause now everytime i try to reinstall liberty it fails ....

how exactly did you go about re installing your rom ... successfully ? you backed up the rom while still on the 886 before you actually reverted to stock / updated then you reflashed your backup ... ? what exactly did you restore your Apps or a Rom you were on prior to the update ? any help is appreciated thanks
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I received the 5.5.893 update about 48 hrs ago in the Jacksonville, Fl area. 4g has not dropped since which is a major improvement!!! Phone is much better now that your data doesn't drop any more. I tested the camera out a little but I don't see too much of a difference, it may run a little smoother.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I live in an area with mixed 3g/4g (there is some 4g but doesn't cover the whole area yet) and before the update there was data dropouts that lasted quite awhile. I still get dropouts but the duration is much shorter and happens less.

I also noticed the camera is much faster now. Still getting a buzzing sound when I use speakers or my FM transmitter (for the car) but it has been reduced.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Concistency View Post
    Rooted, even after using RELEASED ROOT tool option 1. I want to get the update, but it fails everytime. I can't figure out whats going on?
    Your phone has to have the stock kernel and radio for this to work. Any previous install of a leaked update will prevent this procedure from working. If kernel and radio are stock, R3l3as3d Root Option 1 should return your Bionic to original and allow for the update(with the exception of root being retained).
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by RK KINGKONG View Post
    according to your thread here / i did all the same steps but before so i didnt back anything up .cause i figured i can just go ahead and reflash once i had the new update .. however i was wrong . cause now everytime i try to reinstall liberty it fails ....

how exactly did you go about re installing your rom ... successfully ? you backed up the rom while still on the 886 before you actually reverted to stock / updated then you reflashed your backup ... ? what exactly did you restore your Apps or a Rom you were on prior to the update ? any help is appreciated thanks
    I probably should have specified that I haven't flashed any custom ROMS before or after the update so I'll have to let someone else answer this one
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links