DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Swapping Rom's

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Cool Swapping Rom's

Hey, I haven't been able to find a direct answer to this while searching so I'm just going to ask. I was a big fan of Liberty on my DX until I got MIUI. So I waited for the Liberty ROM to hit for my Bionic. I like it, its cool. I just want more. I've read lots of good stuff about this TH3ORY ROM and I feel like its far enough into development to try it out. What do I have to do to safely go from LIBERTY3 1.0 to this SHIFT3R v2.1? Or is there something more stable? I would really like to see an improvement on my battery life. Everything else is just extra. Do I just follow the instructions and do the wipe data/dalvik/cache?

Also, probably a dumb question, but I see so many people talking about their 3G, this rom will let me keep my 4G correct? Thanks for any advice. Sorry for being such a noob.

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    Just download the base rom from the forum, save in sdcard, boot into recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik, and format system, then flash rom. Do that exactly and you'll be fine. He's about to come out with an upgraded base though so id wait a day or two and keep checking the forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    jvanekel likes this.
    The ROMinator

rooted and rommed:
    droid bionic(overclocked 1.2GHz), droid x(overclocked 1.2GHz), droid x2, samsung infuse 4G, samsung captivate, samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket, samsung galaxy 10.1 LTE
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jkliving92 View Post
    Just download the base rom from the forum, save in sdcard, boot into recovery, wipe data, cache, dalvik, and format system, then flash rom. Do that exactly and you'll be fine. He's about to come out with an upgraded base though so id wait a day or two and keep checking the forum.
    Thanks for the speedy response! And I believe I will take your advice as well. Any idea on the 4G things?
    Droid Bionic: OTA ICS
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    Oh yeah. 4G works great. In fact he has a powerboost script that I think keeps Verizon from throttling your data when you start taking up a lot of bandwidth.

jvanekel likes this.
    The ROMinator

rooted and rommed:
    droid bionic(overclocked 1.2GHz), droid x(overclocked 1.2GHz), droid x2, samsung infuse 4G, samsung captivate, samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket, samsung galaxy 10.1 LTE
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Score! Now I'm pumped about this. Thanks again!!!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    Glad I could help. I also forgot to add that my battery has been top notch. Good idea to always calibrate your battery after flashing a new rom though. Can really make a difference if your battery life seems to be significantly shorter.

The ROMinator

rooted and rommed:
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I have the extended battery and I feel like I barely make it through an 8hour shift. I can charge at work so its not that bad, just kind of a pain. How do you calibrate the battery? I feel like I did it with my X but I don't remember.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    If that's the case then you need to update to the .893 kernel using the cheesecake app. The shifter rom is built on the .893 update but only the official OTA update from motorola can update your radio and kernel. You'll need the new script from dhacker to root again though since they fixed the exploit for rooting the .886 kernel or do the forever root before you update. Forever root is easier but if you ever have to do a fastboot restore after updating youll need dhackers script. Youll have to fastboot restore back to stock before you grab the OTA update. Since you're switching roms this is a great time to do this since youd have to wipe data anyway. Once all that's done and you've flashed your rom charge your battery to 100% (i recommend turning your phone off and making sure its at a true 100% charge) then boot in recovery, go to advanced and choose wipe battery stats. Reboot and let your battery completely discharge from 100% until it finally dies without charging at all. I know it sounds like a lot and I hate I don't have links but if your battery is dying that quickly its really your only option at the moment. In fact just fastboot restore to stock and check system updates before doing all that stuff. they may have pushed the update out already. Haha.

Last edited by jkliving92; 11-02-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    The ROMinator

rooted and rommed:
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jkliving92 View Post
    If that's the case then you need to update to the .893 kernel using the cheesecake app. The shifter rom is built on the .893 update but only the official OTA update from motorola can update your radio and kernel. You'll need the new script from dhacker to root again though since they fixed the exploit for rooting the .886 kernel or do the forever root before you update. Forever root is easier but if you ever have to do a fastboot restore after updating youll need dhackers script. Youll have to fastboot restore back to stock before you grab the OTA update. Since you're switching roms this is a great time to do this since youd have to wipe data anyway. Once all that's done and you've flashed your rom charge your battery to 100% (i recommend turning your phone off and making sure its at a true 100% charge) then boot in recovery, go to advanced and choose wipe battery stats. Reboot and let your battery completely discharge from 100% until it finally dies without charging at all. I know it sounds like a lot and I hate I don't have links but if your battery is dying that quickly its really your only option at the moment. In fact just fastboot restore to stock and check system updates before doing all that stuff. they may have pushed the update out already. Haha.

Hey thanks for this advice im also going to try it out im running th3ory 2.1 ics them. as soon as I light up the screen my battery starts dropping 1% every 2 minutes. I was thinking its the room and I've heard good stuff about liberty like in this link/video but haven't tried liberty.

11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    droid bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by eap369 View Post
    Hey thanks for this advice im also going to try it out im running th3ory 2.1 ics them. as soon as I light up the screen my battery starts dropping 1% every 2 minutes. I was thinking its the room and I've heard good stuff about liberty like in this link/video but haven't tried liberty.

Yeah I've been trying to find the cheesecake app and can't find it anywhere. There are some forums that have the latest .893 update that you can flash in stock recovery. Note that you'd flash that in stock recovery and not bootstrap so you'll probably have to change the name of the file to update.zip. just do the perma root before hand and you'll be ready to flash your roms. The liberty rom is very good rom but I personally prefer theory's. Developers are much more supportive and they're next rom, which should be out later today, will be based on the latest 7.893 update. Liberty 1.0 is still built on the .886 build if im not mistaken. Im about 80% positive you'll see a dramatic increase in battery life once you get the latest OTA.

Last edited by jkliving92; 11-03-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    The ROMinator

rooted and rommed:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links