DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: need unroot for updates

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 1

need unroot for updates

i rooted my bionic .902 with the motofail and have had no problems with it. but now there is an update for my phone, plus i just read that another is coming out, both just to fix problems with the 4g LTE, also read that 4.0 ICS update will be coming out eventually. cant update with rooted phone, cant find way to unroot after using motofail. tried petes root tools, didnt work. read that some ppl say there is an unroot method in the motofail zip file but i dont see it. i was going to try the sticky on the bionic forum 'how to get updates on your modified droid bionic' but im thinking it might not do it like the petes root tools wouldnt unroot it. any suggestions please

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 1
    nvm on the sticky, all links open a page that say there was an error...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    I was able to update to 905 and keep root by using an app called Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (I had previously done the forever root method as well). You install the app from the Play Store, run it, select "Protect Root", then you can select "Temp un-root". Once you have temporarily unrooted you can boot into stock recovery, flash the update. Once you are done with the update, go back into the rootkeeper app and select "restore Root" and you should be good to go.

I use this app all the time on my Kindle Fire b/c you can't watch streaming video from Amazon if you are rooted, this is the perfect workaround.
    Jay

BIONIC - Ice Cream Sandwich .246 SafeStrap 3 (ICS/CM10/CodenameAndroid)
    Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean 4.1.1 by HashCode
    OG DROID DROID CONCEPTS ROMS (looking for ideas to re-purpose this fine device)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 1
    i installed ota rootkeeper from play store. i dont see the 'temp un-root' option. there is 'protect root', backup root, restore root, delete su backup. even if i press menu button only option is refresh status. i pressed protect root but only a message pops up, 'su root protected' something like that. am i missing something? thanks for the help though.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    you can always update with root. You might lose root upon updating but there is no need to unroot prior to updating. If u loaded a custom rom or removed stock stuff u should revert those and you will be fine. I lost root but ran motofail again and all is good
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus300 View Post
    i installed ota rootkeeper from play store. i dont see the 'temp un-root' option. there is 'protect root', backup root, restore root, delete su backup. even if i press menu button only option is refresh status. i pressed protect root but only a message pops up, 'su root protected' something like that. am i missing something? thanks for the help though.
    after selecting "protect root" it should then give you two different options "Delete Su backup" and "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)" I have attached some screenshots to hopefully help describe what I see.need unroot for updates-snap20120618_110437.pngneed unroot for updates-snap20120618_110451.pngneed unroot for updates-snap20120618_110455.png
    Jay

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 1
    Thanks ! Took a little bit but i figured out the rootkeeper. You guys were a big help
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    glad you were able to get things going
    Jay

Links