DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By striker85

Thread: considering getting bionic

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung GSIII

considering getting bionic

was consdering getting a bionic sometime in the near future, being it seems to be the best out there from what I can tell. One of my big concerns is how rootable the phone is, and more importantly if there is a current hack for wifi teethering. Its been a while since ive bene o the forums so sorry for the noobish questions. I'm also open to suggestions to a different phone and input on the bionic since its been out a while

3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    679 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife13
    Phone
    Note2, Maxx HD, S3, Nexus
    Premium Member
    The Bionic is still a good phone and it would be rootable with a little work (there was a one-click method for .886). The Razr and Samsung Galaxy Nexus are nice phones as well and the Razr Maxx (extended battery version) is possibly set for release this upcoming week and the D4 is on the horizon.

If you are wanting root / modding / etc, the GNex is probably the best phone for that as it has the unlocked bootloader and TONS of dev support currently...the other phones, there are dev's working on stuff but not at the rate of the GNex.

Good luck on your decision!
    **Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken**

4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    The bionic and razr are great out of the box phones. Me and my girl have both. But they are not hacker friendly.

The encrypted bootloader on these motos....
    - make it a a lot easier to brick
    - make getting into custom recovery manually tough
    - lessen and complicate development
    - make it hard to go back to previous build if one installs a leaked build
    - no custom kernels

Everything works great stock on my bionic though, since the latest update. Connection, radio, performance, battery, speaker volume, gps, build quality all good on this phone. Its bootloader takes all the fun out of modding your phone though....so just know you aren't going to be doing much of that stuff with the bionic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAXXX
    Despite the shortcomings from a "hacking" standpoint, i love this phone. As a graduation from a D1 it is lightyears ahead.

Strictly speaking from a hacking standpoint, if you have a brain and patience, you can do it. Just exercise caution.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    AirborneSpoon likes this.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    droidbionicroot
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    As much as I love my Bionic, I would have to say get the Galaxy Nexus. I don't know as much about the Gnex, I would say it's a phone for rooting or what not.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    droid2 global
    It all comes down to preference and how much you want to spend. My experience is that the bionic is a beast of a phone.

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic-Eclipse 2.0
    I love my Bionic, but I wish I had been a little more patient and bought a Galaxy Nexus. I had a Droid 1 for 2 years and only rooted it. When I bought my Bionic, I started down the rooting process and decided to give a ROM a try... I quickly got addicted. The disappointing thing is that development has almost completely stopped. I'll have my Bionic for almost 2 more years and there won't be much more I'll be able to play with... As for wifi tethering, I use it all the time. I had to find the wifi tether apk, but no big deal.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    droidbionicroot
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by turflife2 View Post
    I love my Bionic, but I wish I had been a little more patient and bought a Galaxy Nexus. I had a Droid 1 for 2 years and only rooted it. When I bought my Bionic, I started down the rooting process and decided to give a ROM a try... I quickly got addicted. The disappointing thing is that development has almost completely stopped. I'll have my Bionic for almost 2 more years and there won't be much more I'll be able to play with... As for wifi tethering, I use it all the time. I had to find the wifi tether apk, but no big deal.
    Agree, development is slow, I've been using ICS4BIONIC with 1x data as my daily driver and really enjoy it considering I'm not a heavy data user. But as soon as the data is figured out, what could possibly be bad about it... lol.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic-Eclipse 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Concistency View Post
    Agree, development is slow, I've been using ICS4BIONIC with 1x data as my daily driver and really enjoy it considering I'm not a heavy data user. But as soon as the data is figured out, what could possibly be bad about it... lol.
    I'm using liberty with the .901 patch right now. I tried using eclipse 2.1, but it had a bug that drove me nuts. I'll definitely go back to eclipse when the final .901 build comes out. Btw, adw launcher ex has breathed new life into every ROM

Links