DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Getting OTA Ice Cream Sandwich on Bionic while rooted

  1. Droid
    erich93063's Avatar
    Member #
    3329
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    42
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    #1

    Getting OTA Ice Cream Sandwich on Bionic while rooted

    So I have a rooted Bionic. I haven't installed a custom ROM, I'm just rooted. I'm reading all over that we can expect to receive ICS at some point. Will the OTA update just not happen because I am rooted, or will it happen and just get rid of my root privileges? I read somewhere there is a way to allow the OTA update to happen without getting rid of root. What's everyone else doing? What's the best way to handle this? I sure don't want to miss out on ICS.
  2. Senior Droid
    brandon9559's Avatar
    Member #
    172085
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    221
    Liked
    10 times
    #2
    You can receive the update successfully while rooted as long as all system files are in place. Normally after the update you would lose root but there is a way now to update and stay rooted. I will try to find the link for you unless someone beats me to it.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  3. Droid Sensei
    BayouFlyFisher's Avatar
    Member #
    14195
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    4,969
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by erich93063 View Post
    So I have a rooted Bionic. I haven't installed a custom ROM, I'm just rooted. I'm reading all over that we can expect to receive ICS at some point. Will the OTA update just not happen because I am rooted, or will it happen and just get rid of my root privileges? I read somewhere there is a way to allow the OTA update to happen without getting rid of root. What's everyone else doing? What's the best way to handle this? I sure don't want to miss out on ICS.
    How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only) by p3droid
    Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things)

    I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.


    RootExplorer Method

    go to /system/bin/
    open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
    add the following lines to the very bottom

    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk


    ADB method

    adb pull /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    open the file in your favorite text editor
    add the following lines to the very bottom

    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    Save file

    adb push mount_ext3.sh /data/local
    adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
    cat /data/local/mount_ext3.sh > /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    chmod 777 /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Master Droid
    ripper2860's Avatar
    Member #
    221427
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    462
    Liked
    41 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    #4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Themer Launcher
    Stock ROM (JB 4.3) -- awaiting KitKat





  5. Droid
    projektorboy's Avatar
    Member #
    78316
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    64
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    manicsocratic
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    Given the extremely overhauled architecture going on in Ice Cream Sandwich, I wouldn't expect root access to survive an OTA ICS release from Moto/Verizon whatsoever.

    However, with the SDK being out, maybe someone smarter than me can shed some more light on this and possibly prove me wrong.
  6. Senior Droid
    bigtex52's Avatar
    Member #
    30161
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Big D little a double-L A S
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    #6
    I'm thinking that weeks before you see an ICS OTA for the Bionic, devs will already have us on their ICS based roms, just like the GB process. Just a wild *** guess.
  7. kbatrph
    Guest
    kbatrph's Avatar
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only) by p3droid
    Doing the following will allow your device to maintain root through any upgrade (unless motorola changes things)

    I use root explorer, but you can also use adb pull and push.


    RootExplorer Method

    go to /system/bin/
    open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh
    add the following lines to the very bottom

    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk


    ADB method

    adb pull /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    open the file in your favorite text editor
    add the following lines to the very bottom

    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    Save file

    adb push mount_ext3.sh /data/local
    adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system
    cat /data/local/mount_ext3.sh > /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    chmod 777 /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh
    i want to do this, and right now, have Th3ory's 2.0 rom on my phone...am trying to go back to stock, but when i try to sbf (fxz), it fails....do i need to do a factory reset on the phone first, and then use RSD lite to return to stock??? or do i go into recovery and format the system first? any help would be appreciated...thanks
  8. Droid Sensei
    BayouFlyFisher's Avatar
    Member #
    14195
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    4,969
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kbatrph View Post
    i want to do this, and right now, have Th3ory's 2.0 rom on my phone...am trying to go back to stock, but when i try to sbf (fxz), it fails....do i need to do a factory reset on the phone first, and then use RSD lite to return to stock??? or do i go into recovery and format the system first? any help would be appreciated...thanks
    Have you done the .893 update?

    If not, this should work: (read the entire thread first) One-click fastboot restore and root for the bionic v2.1 I've read of people that had to do this multiple time to get it to work.

    If you have, then this should work (read the entire thread first as there are changes from the OP): [ROOT] R3L3AS3D W/FOR3V3R ROOT V1.0 (Get ROOT after 893 OTA OOPS)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  9. Droid
    oldguy's Avatar
    Member #
    118845
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    33
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by erich93063 View Post
    So I have a rooted Bionic. I haven't installed a custom ROM, I'm just rooted. I'm reading all over that we can expect to receive ICS at some point. Will the OTA update just not happen because I am rooted, or will it happen and just get rid of my root privileges? I read somewhere there is a way to allow the OTA update to happen without getting rid of root. What's everyone else doing? What's the best way to handle this? I sure don't want to miss out on ICS.
    I have a rooted Bionic. Just downloaded the ICS OTA last night and tried to run the install this morning. It failed. Here are the last few statements from the log (/cache/recovery/last_log):

    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
    blk: partition "" size 63861041152 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
    Verifying current system...
    file "/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
    failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
    failed to load cache file
    script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh", "1810bb2cd607e2f6cfbeafa158bb3a89629d60b7", "3a8382950bd4a6226349607d099afcbd93653d48")
    assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/mount_ext3.sh", "1810bb2cd607e2f6cfbeafa158bb3a89629d60b7", "3a8382950bd4a6226349607d099afcbd93653d48")
    E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    I infer that the chmod commands that have been added to /system/bin/mount_ext3.sh to maintain root through an OTA that are causing the check to fail and the installation to abort.

    Looking forward to someone with hacking skills to sort this out for us....

    I don't want to lose root. I really don't want to do an FDR and don't think it would necessarily restore this file, anyway. Probably an RSDLite restore would work. However, the experiences of those who have successfully download ICS seem to indicate a not quite ready release as various functions seem to be buggy.
  10. Droid
    oldguy's Avatar
    Member #
    118845
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    33
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #10
    ...and, just a postscript to my last comments: It looks like VZW is really intent on rooting out the rooted users and preventing ICS from having root. So, I hope that their goal can be defeated. Meanwhile, I will stay on Gingerbread until this settles out.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [THEME] [Theme][Release] Ice Cream Sandwich for Bionic Liberty48
    By kook in forum Droid Bionic Themes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM
  3. Updating Bionic to ice cream sandwich.
    By McGyver777 in forum Motorola Droid Bionic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 01:14 PM
  4. Ice Cream Sandwich
    By Jayohennn in forum Motorola Droid Bionic
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
  5. Bionic and Ice Cream Sandwich
    By Frankie15 in forum Motorola Droid Bionic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Search tags for this page

bionic ice cream sandwich root

,

bionic ics root

,
bootstrap blocks ice cream sandwich on bionic
,

droid bionic ice cream sandwich root

,

how to apply update from sdcard for phone rooted ics

,

ics update rooted bionic

,

ota ice cream sandwich update

,

plusone.apk what does it do ?

,

root droid bionic ice cream sandwich

,

root droid bionic ics

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+