DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: High Current USB Charger Info

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Bionic

High Current USB Charger Info

I've got a benchtop PSU powering a USB charge only cable feeding the Bionic.

Keep in mind, most USB cables only output ~500mA. The stock Bionic charger outputs 850mA.

Now, if you use any sort of 4gLTE over an extended (2 or more hours), you'll notice the battery drain very quickly, especially with the stock battery. With my benchtop PSU I've measured a draw of ~ 1200-1300mAh while tethering.

This means that even if you are plugged into the 850mAh charger, with high usage the phone is still draining. This is especially true during USB Tethering with a 4gLTE connection, since USB ports only output 500mAh.

There is a measured MAX current draw of 1500mAh @ 5v while charging the extended battery by slowly increasing the current on the benchtop PSU. The phone won't take more than 1500mAh of charging current.

You'll need a 5v power supply and and old micro USB charger. Splice the two together and you've got a high output charger. Use a 1.3A-2A power supply.

I've noticed that even with max performance battery settings, irregardless of Stock or Extended, at around 20% battery the Bionic will cut all Data connections (most likely to conserve power.)

With the new charger you should be able to charge the phone AND use it at the same time. It will also cut down on your charge time.
    mugsy77 likes this.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Very interesting... How much will the power supply shorten charge time? Of it is significant enough...
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Isn't there a handshake between the charger and the phone to initiate high current charge?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I've been looking around online, I can't find any Micro USB cables that can handle power inputs higher than 800 mAh
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    The cables can probably handle it. It would just cause a small voltage drop across the cable. I really think the phone and charger handshake for the high current charge otherwise the phone would be blowing out aftermarket chargers.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Okay, I am willing to spend 20$ on a high power charger for my new Bionic. I have noticed that it takes a long time to charge my new toy.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    I used an old blackberry charging cable. AFAIK there is no "handshake" for charging.

As for time... charging is nonlinear... 0-80% charge will take approximately 40% less time. The remaining 20% of charge will still take the same amount of time to charge due to less potential difference between the charger and battery.

However, with this in mind... plug in your phones as often as you can. Charging after partial discharge increases the cycle life of Lithium-ion batteries. The more often you let the battery drain to the 20% threshold, the worse your battery life will get.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    OK, after some more search... something interesting came up: iPad chargers require 2.1A through a USB port.

So, for the fastest Bionic Charger, use an iPad usb charger.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875996400

12v Car outlet

Last edited by quizzard; 10-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    great post, sadly irregardless is a double negative and not proper grammar, call me a grammar Nazi if you must, I effing hate that word.

and before you argue Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Irregardless - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

regardless a high output charger is an awesome idea, I hate how tethering for multiple people still kills the battery.
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Quote Originally Posted by liftedplane View Post
    great post, sadly irregardless is a double negative and not proper grammar, call me a grammar Nazi if you must, I effing hate that word.

and before you argue Irregardless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Irregardless - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

regardless a high output charger is an awesome idea, I hate how tethering for multiple people still kills the battery.
    Actually, irregardless is not even a word so how can you hate it?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links