DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [GUIDE] Return to stock or recover a brick using the new file format: FXZ

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic

[GUIDE] Return to stock or recover a brick using the new format: FXZ (OSX/Win/*nix)

Motorola has moved away from their SBF format. The Droid 3 is likely going to be the last Motorola phone we see with an SBF. So from now on we will have what we are going to call "FXZ" archives, or Fastboot XML Zip archives. What these are are *basically* SBFs, but in a more simplified version. It's more similar to a nandroid backup than an SBF. An XML has instructions that tell RSDLite to fastboot flash the stock partitions included in the zips. It works exactly the same was an SBF for the end-user, with minimal effort.

So this is basically how you're going to restore:

Windows ONLY:

1. Install the following:
    RSDLite 5.5
    Moto Drivers 5.2.1 - 32-bit or Moto Drivers 5.2.1 - 64-bit

2. Download the stock FXZ.

3. Plug in your phone to your computer (preferably a back USB port if you're on a desktop, don't use a front USB port if possible) and shut it down (leave it plugged in).

4. Hold down the vol-down button on the rocker and boot the phone up, it should boot into AP Fastboot Flash Mode and it should say "OK to Program".

5. Open RSDLite and make sure it shows your phone under entry 1.

6. Click on the ... button and search for the zip.

7. Click on "Uncompress only" and make sure the File Properties section (the right box) has the following information:

Code:
    Filename: default_flash_targa.xml
    Creation Date: 09/15/2011 00:31:50
    File size: 577
    Sofware Version: 
    For Phone Model: TARGA
    8. Once you've verified that click on "Start" and it should start the flashing process.

9. It will reboot when finished and you should be back to complete stock!

OS X/Linux ONLY:

Here's a guide on how to restore to stock using the FXZ for OS X/Linux users.

1. Download one of the following fastboot binaries: fastboot-OSX or fastboot-linux and rename it to just "fastboot"

2. Download the FXZ and untar it anywhere.

3. Plug in your phone to your computer (preferably a back USB port if you're on a desktop, don't use a front USB port if possible) and shut it down (leave it plugged in).

4. Hold down the vol-down button on the rocker and boot the phone up, it should boot into AP Fastboot Flash Mode and it should say "OK to Program".

5. Run the following commands in terminal

Code:
    ./path/to/fastboot flash system /path/to/system.img
    ./path/to/fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
    ./path/to/fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
    ./path/to/fastboot -w
    6. Shut off the phone by pressing the power button.

7. Boot back up and you should be back to stock!

Note: The FXZ posted is a minimal stock flash and only restores the following partitions: system, boot, recovery, and erases the cache and userdata partition. If you're just restoring your phone to stock, this is all you need. However, if you'd like a complete full restore including flashing the webtop partition, radio, and bootloader, among other things, you can download Full FXZ and use that in RSDLite following the same steps, instead. This is mostly for developers or someone who is paranoid... (side-note, the File Properties for this will be slightly different, creation date will be 09/14/2011 22:26:00 and File Size will be 1306)

MD5s:

Full FXZ - c3287f0d811c779c0261ebaa2f17693a
    Minimal FXZ - 08c76a533d74060a842ef5ddeea95a47

Credit goes to kennethpenn on XDA for getting the files for us.

9/17/2011:

Here's a nice video provided by Wnclivin in-case you'd like some visual aid:
    !
    Last edited by Berzerker; 09-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Retired: Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible. VZW iPhone
    Current phone: Droid Bionic

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Just wondering, can we still use the SBF Flash script in Linux/OS X to flash FXZ? I do not have a windows machine and would rather not install a Virtual Machine if I don't have to. Thanks.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
    Just wondering, can we still use the SBF Flash script in Linux/OS X to flash FXZ? I do not have a windows machine and would rather not install a Virtual Machine if I don't have to. Thanks.
    Unfortunately not. OS X and Linux users can use the fastboot binary itself to flash the images in the zip from the AP Fastboot flash mode (fastboot flash system system.img, fastboot flash boot boot.img, etc.) and wipe data/cache from recovery.

5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
    Unfortunately not. OS X and Linux users can use the fastboot binary itself to flash the images in the zip from the AP Fastboot flash mode (fastboot flash system system.img, fastboot flash boot boot.img, etc.) and wipe data/cache from recovery.
    Thank you for the reply

Excuse my ignorance, but would you know what the commands/procedure is to get that done using terminal? I just read the instructions when I used the sbf_flash script, not really too well versed in terminal command. Thanks again.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by kman79 View Post
    Thank you for the reply

Excuse my ignorance, but would you know what the commands/procedure is to get that done using terminal? I just read the instructions when I used the sbf_flash script, not really too well versed in terminal command. Thanks again.
    I updated the OP with instructions for Linux/OS X.

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    excuse my ignorance +1
    so once i use this and make my phone into stock, does that mean that even the deleted bloatwares (ones that i deleted accidentally without back up, and can't reinstall yet somehow-trying to find out how to reinstall these apps) will be back on my phone?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    The complete full restore linked in the original post has a password in the archive. The file name is "Atrix.7z" and is about 553 MB. Need to know what is up with that. Also why would the archive be named "Atrix"

Also I found what looks like another complete full restore with the file name "targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz" This file is about 684 MB. I'm able to open it and it looks like it would be a 100% complete restore. Wondering what the difference between this and the Atrix.7z file.

http://bandbinnovations.com/xda/bionic/targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz
    Last edited by wseyller; 09-15-2011 at 08:05 AM.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I can confirm the minimal file works great, I flashed my Bionic last night and it's working great.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    Phone
    D1/DX/DB/Nex/Note2
    Thanks for this!
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @berzerker7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by khhan View Post
    excuse my ignorance +1
    so once i use this and make my phone into stock, does that mean that even the deleted bloatwares (ones that i deleted accidentally without back up, and can't reinstall yet somehow-trying to find out how to reinstall these apps) will be back on my phone?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by wseyller View Post
    The complete full restore linked in the original post has a password in the archive. The file name is "Atrix.7z" and is about 553 MB. Need to know what is up with that. Also why would the archive be named "Atrix"

Also I found what looks like another complete full restore with the file name "targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz" This file is about 684 MB. I'm able to open it and it looks like it would be a 100% complete restore. Wondering what the difference between this and the Atrix.7z file.

http://bandbinnovations.com/xda/bionic/targa_cdma_targa-user-2.3.4-5.5.1_84_DBN-55-110814-Verizon-US.tar.gz
    Huh...that's...very interesting. I must have posted the wrong link.

You *can* use that one, but it will not wipe your data/cache. If you want to use one that will automatically wipe data/cache, I've updated the OP with the correct link. But again, in terms of bringing your phone back to stock, the minimal FXZ is all you need.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links