DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can someone explain the car dock to me?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by PhontomF View Post
    Thanks I'll give that a shot but I'm betting it will kick into car mode as soon as you plug in the power
    I tried it a few minutes ago and placing the phone in the dock while having the charger plugged into the dock but not a power source, then plugging the charger into a power source after the phone is in the dock, DOES NOT trigger dock mode, nor does it force landscape orientation. This may be a temporary work around for some people until Motorola fixes this (assuming they consider it a problem in the first place).
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMcDroid View Post
    I tried it a few minutes ago and placing the phone in the dock while having the charger plugged into the dock but not a power source, then plugging the charger into a power source after the phone is in the dock, DOES NOT trigger dock mode, nor does it force landscape orientation. This may be a temporary work around for some people until Motorola fixes this (assuming they consider it a problem in the first place).
    Awesome I will try it out later, Thanks!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroprotagonist View Post
    Unfortunately for simplicity's sake, the usb out won't be able to power a stereo minijack output because usb is fully digital. The dock would require some sort of processing to convert analog audio out from the usb connector. The cable mentioned in the manual is a strange bird, because honestly I don't think something like that exists - not without a chip to convert the audio. Unless the Bionic has a non-standard usb jack with additional analog audio channels built in, which again is something I've never heard of.
    The car docks for the Droid3, the Atrix, and probably the Photon and any other similar Moto phones do allow charging and audio from a single USB cable. This was the feature that I was most excited about because I hate having to plug things in instead of just dropping it into a dock. My dock didn't come with the correct cable, but apparently if you order it from Motorola instead of through Verizon, it costs $60 instead of $40 and it comes with a rapid car charger and the "Custom Audio and Power USB Cable". I was disappointed when my dock was missing this cable, so I got on an online tech support chat with Motorola. After a while, the tech offered to send the custom cable to me at no charge. I am pretty excited that it will work the way I thought it would. I will report back when I receive it.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
    The car docks for the Droid3, the Atrix, and probably the Photon and any other similar Moto phones do allow charging and audio from a single USB cable. This was the feature that I was most excited about because I hate having to plug things in instead of just dropping it into a dock. My dock didn't come with the correct cable, but apparently if you order it from Motorola instead of through Verizon, it costs $60 instead of $40 and it comes with a rapid car charger and the "Custom Audio and Power USB Cable". I was disappointed when my dock was missing this cable, so I got on an online tech support chat with Motorola. After a while, the tech offered to send the custom cable to me at no charge. I am pretty excited that it will work the way I thought it would. I will report back when I receive it.
    That's very promising. I did an online chat with a tech support guy twice on Saturday (same guy both times) and he said there was nothing they could do. He kept telling me that it should have been in the case, and I had the Verizon store on the line and they said none of their boxes had the right cable, plus it just says the 3.5mm cable on the side of the box.
    Please do not text, place or answer calls while driving. Be responsible.

Let me Google that for you
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    Hey guys, found it. The full kit from Moto includes this USB/Audio cable, and a charger. I'm returning mine to the Verizon store and ordering this one:

Motorola Vehicle Navigation Dock for DROID Bionic™ : Auto
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.
  6. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConqSoft View Post
    Hey guys, found it. The full kit from Moto includes this USB/Audio cable, and a charger. I'm returning mine to the Verizon store and ordering this one:

Motorola Vehicle Navigation Dock for DROID Bionic™ : Auto
    Ok feels like an idiot, but why do you need a usb cable for the car dock?
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadez View Post
    Ok feels like an idiot, but why do you need a usb cable for the car dock?
    Check the pic somsone posted earlier in the thread. It splits the USB out to an audio jack to run to your AUX IN port, so you don't have to plug it into the phone's headphone jack. It all feeds through the USB plug, which stays connected to the dock all the time.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.
  8. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member
    Guess I have an older stereo, I dont even have an audio jack in my car stereo...lol
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMcDroid View Post
    Ok I tried it and found I need to start google navigation software first then I can plug the power in. If I just plug the power in w/o starting the navigation app it will kick into landscape mode for me. Oh well just so I know a way to make it work it's all good. Thanks!!
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    Got my "official" Motorola Car Dock kit today. SO MUCH nicer than the Verizon one that I will be returning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain the car dock to me?-2011-09-14_10-50-29_851.jpg   Can someone explain the car dock to me?-2011-09-14_10-52-58_561.jpg   Can someone explain the car dock to me?-2011-09-14_10-53-42_420.jpg   Can someone explain the car dock to me?-2011-09-14_10-54-05_104.jpg  
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links