DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can someone explain the car dock to me?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    I think the hardware is not matching our manuals

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Droid Bionic - Rooted
    DroidTh3ory Rom - Axi0m
    Forever Rooted - .902 Update

Thank you to every one who made this Possible
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    It would have been nice if they could have had an audio jack in the back that could grab just the audio from micro HDMI. Then you wouldn't have to plug in the audio cable each time.
    Please do not text, place or answer calls while driving. Be responsible.

Let me Google that for you
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateles View Post
    It would have been nice if they could have had an audio jack in the back that could grab just the audio from micro HDMI. Then you wouldn't have to plug in the audio cable each time.
    You don't even need HDMI! The "Standard Dock" which I got with the Costco deal has only a USB port in it, but on the back there is a headphone jack and audio pops out just fine. I tested it already. So the car dock has all the needed connectivity on the phone side, but for some reason they didn't simply put a jack on the back of the car mount. They could have used the same circuitry from the dock!

Oh well, please keep up the good hunt for the cable, and please post if you find one. Thanks!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5 and DROID MAXX
    The usb connector shown in the manual would offer the same functionality it looks like, since it splits off to an audio jack. We just need to see if that's available anywhere.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    You don't even need HDMI! The "Standard Dock" which I got with the Costco deal has only a USB port in it, but on the back there is a headphone jack and audio pops out just fine. I tested it already. So the car dock has all the needed connectivity on the phone side, but for some reason they didn't simply put a jack on the back of the car mount. They could have used the same circuitry from the dock!

Oh well, please keep up the good hunt for the cable, and please post if you find one. Thanks!
    Ah, now I understand. Audio out the micro-usb - nice. But then I'll need to find a good usb-car power adapter. All the ones I tried before with my Droid1 couldn't keep up. I'd still get a slight power drain with music+nav+screen on, and I bet the Bionic is even more power hungry. Right now I'm using a straight car-micro usb charger, with no regular USB.

Edit: wrong item
    Last edited by Mateles; 09-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Please do not text, place or answer calls while driving. Be responsible.

Let me Google that for you
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Thank god for bluetooth head units
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    Unfortunately for simplicity's sake, the usb out won't be able to power a stereo minijack output because usb is fully digital. The dock would require some sort of processing to convert analog audio out from the usb connector. The cable mentioned in the manual is a strange bird, because honestly I don't think something like that exists - not without a chip to convert the audio. Unless the Bionic has a non-standard usb jack with additional analog audio channels built in, which again is something I've never heard of.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Anyone know is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic, OG Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by PhontomF View Post
    Anyone know is it possible to use the phone in portrait mode when in the car dock? Mine stays in landscape even when I turn the phone portrait.
    I'm not sure if this will get you what you want, but I was just experimenting with the car dock and found that if I have the (Motorola) car charger plugged into the dock, but not plugged into a power source, the phone does not recognize that it's in the dock, allowing it to change to portrait mode when oriented that way. Plugging into a power source after inserting the phone might still allow it to stay in portrait mode. I can try this tomorrow, but right now I don't want to interrupt the discharge cycle of my battery.

Strangely, inserting the phone with the charger disconnected from the dock allows the phone to sense the dock, and subsequently connecting the charger to the dock (but not a power source) causes the blue ring on the charger to glow, indicating that it's actually drawing power FROM the phone.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BIONIC
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMcDroid View Post
    I'm not sure if this will get you what you want, but I was just experimenting with the car dock and found that if I have the (Motorola) car charger plugged into the dock, but not plugged into a power source, the phone does not recognize that it's in the dock, allowing it to change to portrait mode when oriented that way. Plugging into a power source after inserting the phone might still allow it to stay in portrait mode. I can try this tomorrow, but right now I don't want to interrupt the discharge cycle of my battery.

Strangely, inserting the phone with the charger disconnected from the dock allows the phone to sense the dock, and subsequently connecting the charger to the dock (but not a power source) causes the blue ring on the charger to glow, indicating that it's actually drawing power FROM the phone.
    Thanks I'll give that a shot but I'm betting it will kick into car mode as soon as you plug in the power
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links