DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Audio files not being detected

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless

Question Audio files not being detected

My Droid 4 is running ICS and I've noticed that some of the audio files that I have in the ringtone, notification, alarms, etc folders on the internal sdcard are not being detected by the OS so I'm unable to use them. I've tried using the .ogg and .mp3 versions of the files. I can put the files on my Droid 1 and the OS detects the files right away. For some reason ICS doesn't auto detect and I have to reboot to get it to see the files but now I'm noticing that even after a reboot in only detects some of the newly added files not all of them. I also renamed one of the files it detected and under the settings it still shows the old file name. ICS is clearly not the best version of Android. I don't know if that's the fault of Google, Verizon, or Motorola, but somebody dropped the ball here.

Any ideas how to make the phone detect audio files without having to reboot?
    “Innovation is not the product of logical thought..." ~Albert Einstein

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Twitter
    myfishbear
    Phone
    Droid 1, 4, DNA
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsylus View Post
    My Droid 4 is running ICS and I've noticed that some of the audio files that I have in the ringtone, notification, alarms, etc folders on the internal sdcard are not being detected by the OS so I'm unable to use them. I've tried using the .ogg and .mp3 versions of the files. I can put the files on my Droid 1 and the OS detects the files right away. For some reason ICS doesn't auto detect and I have to reboot to get it to see the files but now I'm noticing that even after a reboot in only detects some of the newly added files not all of them. I also renamed one of the files it detected and under the settings it still shows the old file name. ICS is clearly not the best version of Android. I don't know if that's the fault of Google, Verizon, or Motorola, but somebody dropped the ball here.

Any ideas how to make the phone detect audio files without having to reboot?
    try the external sd
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Twitter
    XSYLUS_DEV
    Phone
    DROID 4 • Cricket Wireless
    Did that, two issues, one it still doesn't auto detect and two sometimes when the phone reboots or the external sd gets unmounted like when connected to a pc the phone lists the notification sound as "unknown" and then plays the default or no sound at all. I think I found a solution to the auto detect issue though. I'm currently testing an app called SDrescan which does what it says; rescans the sdcard. Of course like most apps dealing with the sdcard it only affects the internal sdcard but for now that seems to be good enough to make the phone realize new audio files have been added.

I guess ICS stands for Inept Careless Slackers because this version of Android seems to have just shifted rather than actually improved. I'm hopeful that there will be another revision of ICS released since I doubt the Droid 4 will get JB.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    ICS is stupid in the way it handles media files on the SD card. There is no way to auto update, not even unmounting and remounting the card. Only a reboot works.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3

Links