DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @keeju
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    ..dunn dunn dunn..another one bites the dust.

Second Droid 4 and the speaker is dead again.. full volume and can BARELY hear it.
    I don't really want a RAZR cause I do a LOT of remoting into Linux boxes via SSH and I like my full slider qwerty keyboard.

Guess I'm going back to VZW tomorrow morning again.

*EDIT*

This is going to sound REALLY freakin' weird I know. But other phones I found that if I blow on the earpiece a little bit it'll pop back into it's normal spot.
    This didn't work on this phone. But if you suck REALLY hard on the earpiece, it pops back into place for a while. I know.. the creepy weird **** o meter just pegged, but if it helps someone, awesome.
    Last edited by kijutsu; 04-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    someone said to adjust the phone from the audio having "bass boost" or "bass punch". That apparently has absolutley nothing to do with the speaker for in calls. I opened up the box for my 3rd phone... immediately had problems with this phone now. The keyboard backlighting doesn't work right. So I called Verizon's tech support, sure enough, speaker issues again.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kijutsu View Post
    ..dunn dunn dunn..another one bites the dust.

Second Droid 4 and the speaker is dead again.. full volume and can BARELY hear it.
    I don't really want a RAZR cause I do a LOT of remoting into Linux boxes via SSH and I like my full slider qwerty keyboard.

Guess I'm going back to VZW tomorrow morning again.

*EDIT*

This is going to sound REALLY freakin' weird I know. But other phones I found that if I blow on the earpiece a little bit it'll pop back into it's normal spot.
    This didn't work on this phone. But if you suck REALLY hard on the earpiece, it pops back into place for a while. I know.. the creepy weird **** o meter just pegged, but if it helps someone, awesome.
    I since my replacement started to hint that it was going to crackle again (light distortion) I did what you said and *LIGHTLY* sucked around the earpiece area while I was on the phone. That fixed the crackle to this date...

Too strange.
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Rooted)
    Verified, and then some.

Put your lips around the *AHEM* earpiece, and suck hard several times.

Fixed the issue, for now.

The harder you suck, the better the result. That's what she said.

-C
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @keeju
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    I finally gave up -- I went to a Razr. They unboxed one in store and listened to it and it was the same way. I'm done with the Droid 4. I loved everything about it, but as an actual phone it was frickin' useless. I totally miss the keyboard, but I have a small bluetooth keyboard on order that I'll try. Verizon and Motorola are reaaally testing my patience on this. One single dual core phone with keyboard and it's a piece of crap. End rant here...
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 4 (Rooted)
    With all of the people that bought this phone, there has to be SOMEONE who isn't having this speaker problem.

Hopefully this is just a localized problem with a batch.

This speaker problem can't be happening with EVERYONE, otherwise there would be a recall. Maybe.

I'm getting a replacement through Verizon.

I think everyone was hoping this thing was going to be as prolific as the OG Droid.

RIP OG Droid, your descendants have proven to be as of yet unworthy of your namesake.

At least the fastboot files are out.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid 4 - Stock Rooted
    Got my D4 the day it came out. Just started noticing a crackle noise on calls last night. I'm hoping it clears itself up. Two and half months with no issue and now this? I love this phone. I can't think of another phone I'd rather have.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID 4
    Well... I've had the phone for exactly 2 months today. Just noticed the crackle in the earpiece last night and then morning.

Out of curiosity, how long is the Verizon warranty period on this phone?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    i am on my third droid4..... is there ever going to be a fix for this? or will it be something we just have to deal with for the next two years? what about when the warranty ends, what do we do then?

i cant imagine that Verizon/Motorola would just let this slide without fixing it (would they?)
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4 | Commando 4G
    I just swapped from a Bionic with MANY issues to a CLNR Droid 4. I took it from the packaging it came it and I was floored at the AWFUL sound quality too. The earpiece sounded muffled and crackly. Much more than the Razr Maxx or the Bionic it replaced. The rear speaker however was the worse. HORRIFIC sound from it. Distortion (using normal non eq'ed settings) at medium volume. The phone carcass (shell of phone) rattles with the sounds that come over the speaker. Seems Motorola didn't care when they built the Droid 4. It's a far cry from the OG Droid which I had too. I'm gonna try to go back to the Bionic. I like the keyboard...but the speaker issues are something I can't live with since I use my phone 90% of the time for Internet Radio and music playback as well as (via root) Spirit (REAL) FM Radio.
    (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links