DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: how to properly go back to gingerbread

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4 CM 10.1 JB 4.2.2 RC 5
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggieice View Post
    tl;dr

functionality

1. why is it when i right click i cant view "motorola widgets, android widgets, shortcuts and folders. why is every option having to do with a wallpaper.seriously.
    2.why when i hold down the option soft touch key i dont get a keyboard.
    YES YES AND YES!
    I hate it when I press my thumb down on the option softkey and nothing! Nothing! Why!?!?!?!?!? I loved that!!!!!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @Central_Park928
    Phone
    DROID 4
    But for the record, Gingerbread sucked so bad...

..Jus my opinon

sent frm my Rooted DROID4 on ICS
    Rooted Droid4 Runnin on ICS(.217)
    -Rocking the CM9 7/25 nightly

..Rooted Attrix2 on Sonya v4
    ..Rooted DroidX on Apex v2.00
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt

Angry ICS was forced by Verizon OTA Update last night

I currently have the Thunderbolt and ICS was forced by Verizon OTA Update last night.
    I had no warning and no option to opt out. in fact I thought the Thunderbolt was going to skip ICS

Well, I agree with the previous poster in that I too dislike ICS and want Gingerbread back.

So much so, that if I cannot figure out how to do it I am considering smashing this phone with a sledge hammer and cancelling all of my Verizon accountsand going back to AT&T and re-activating my Moto Razr Flip Phone

Gingerbread was working fine, had everything set the way I liked it, and with everything else in the stresses of life, I didn't have to deal with the stress of a new learning curve and hitting a bunch of brick walls with the cell phone at least.

Now with ICS on the phone a bunch of the functionality has changed an has become quite un-attractive.

Now, after doing a little research I find that there was a way to block the OTA updates, sure wish I had know about that before last night...

So, is there anyway possible to go back to gingerbread?
    I mean, from the partition to the kernel, custom rom, etc... the whole nine yards?

Please... there's got to be a way.... just saying you can't is not sufficient.

Thanks!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Droid 4

Re: how to properly go back to gingerbread

I can't speak on behalf of the Thunderbolt community, but it it's anything like the Droid 4, then no. We have locked bootloaders, and with the ICS update came a new kernel. If you try to fastboot or sbf back to gingerbread, the kernel won't allow it and it will permanently brick your device.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend your perform a factory reset on your phone. Going from android 2.3 to 4.0 and trying to keep the same data is foolish. It isn't optimized or compatible. There have been numerous Droid 4 users complaining that the ICS update ruined their phone, but the majority didn't perform a factory reset.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps trying a factory reset will make the ICS experience better for you. Best of luck.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
    kwyrt and ovelayer like this.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaJake View Post
    I can't speak on behalf of the Thunderbolt community, but it it's anything like the Droid 4, then no. We have locked bootloaders, and with the ICS update came a new kernel. If you try to fastboot or sbf back to gingerbread, the kernel won't allow it and it will permanently brick your device.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend your perform a factory reset on your phone. Going from android 2.3 to 4.0 and trying to keep the same data is foolish. It isn't optimized or compatible. There have been numerous Droid 4 users complaining that the ICS update ruined their phone, but the majority didn't perform a factory reset.

I understand your frustration, but perhaps trying a factory reset will make the ICS experience better for you. Best of luck.

Thanks, but no it won't make the experience better, the problem is ICS itself, not a problem with the data...
    where can I get a Gingerbread bootloader, and the OLD Gingerbread kernel ?

hmmm.... I wonder if I could buy a used phone with maybe a cracked screen, and swap out the parts that have Gingerbread on them?
    where is the OS Loaded?

is it on any particular chip, or would I have to replace the entire motherboard?

Thanks!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Droid 4

Re: how to properly go back to gingerbread

I've never used a Thunderbolt before, so I have no idea what your bootloader situation is, but given that it's on verizon, I'm guessing locked. If that is the case, you cannot simply get a new bootloader or a gingerbread kernel.

As for the hardware specifications, I have no clue. If you're dead set on going back, you're better off getting a used phone or a replacement asap, before there are no gingerbread devices left on the market

ovelayer likes this.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

welcome back from the dead

hi guys, i still hate ics and want gingerbread back but i cant do anything about it so i delt with it, i do miss my universal inbox though
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Twitter
    ovelayer
    use k-9 mail
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTOROLA DROID 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggieice View Post
    hi guys, i still hate ics and want gingerbread back but i cant do anything about it so i delt with it, i do miss my universal inbox though
    Amen to that brother! Imon JB now so i hope its much better than ICS. SO far it much more responsive!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links