DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tethering after JB update?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 & 4
    I'm not a 100% if this would work if you're currently still running ICS. I'd hope a more experience developer would confirm the ICS side of things before you try it, but once your on JB. But you would need to download the back up, place it on your SD card, be rooted, and running Hashcode's Safe Strap then you would Power Off and Turn on your phone. Hit the menu key to open safe strap. Click the recover button, locate the back up file you placed on your SD card earlier and start it. Once the process is finished you would reboot your phone and you should be running JB with root/tether.

Note the above instructions would delete all your apps and personal data so back up with Titanium Backup before trying.
    Droid 4. JB OTA Leak, rooted / Waiting for CM10.1 (Latest) with a JB kernel
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Cool. Thanks so much!

Can anyone confirm?
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    just a quick update.

After bricking my phone by changing some system files (d'oh!), i managed to follow instructions and reflash jb via rsd. Awesome!

USB tethering seems to have reappeared as a result, but I've lost root so I can't dispense with Verizon's authorization check. Back to square one of sorts, but glad to not be bricked anymore...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Sigh... still struggling.

Rooted now, thanks to the Razer 4.1 Exploit that happens to serve us too. Installed SQL, zeroed the entitlement check, but still a no go. PC connects to the network fine (via USB or WiFi now) but doesn't find a website. APN settings are fine for on-device browsing and were good for tethering in ICS as well as the LG L7 running JB I got as a loaner.

What gives?! Maybe a Rogers or GSM compatibility issue?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    At this point, i'm saying ..screw JB. There doesn't seem to be anything to gain and there are a ridiculous amount of issues.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    So it seems (after loads of research) that this is a known issue.

But it's not an issue so much as a "feature" for our carriers: Jelly Bean allows Carriers to recognize and block tethering. That's why some folks lose tethering, and some don't. The issue is a switch at the carrier's end.

For those of you who know that you are supposed to be able to tether per your agreement, the solution should be as easy as calling your provider and having them enable tethering.

For those (like me) who have been sneaking in the back door and wish to continue to do so, the fix seems to lie in iptables (root required). The simplest I found was entering this in terminal:

Code:
    su -c "iptables -tnat -A natctrl_nat_POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/16 -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE"
    ...where "rmnet0" is replaced with the interface specific to your device. Apparently after this, one should be able to tether normally.

(Reference here, see comments 122, 125 & 131)

Unfortunately this didn't work for me, but more than likely because I haven't a clue what I'm dabbling in. I found my "interface" by running "netcfg" in terminal with tethering disabled, and chose qmi0 (the one with a xx.xxx.xx.xx format IP address, the same as shows for the phone when it's successfully online). Does anyone know enough to be able to help me with this?
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Just an update to let y'all know I have tethering working now.

Not sure what did it, but after flashing the recent 2nd edition of JB (cdma_maserati_9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-2_1ff.xml), rooting, running the SQLite Editor entitlement check hack and installing WiFi Tether for Root (Generic JB wlan1 profile and netd-ndc(master) setup method), I'm up and tethering like the good old days.

Thanks to all for their efforts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links