DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droid 4 with foreign SIM

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2

Droid 4 with foreign SIM

Hi, I was looking to upgrade my phone before I travel to England. I was looking at getting a global phone. Currently, I have a droid 2 and would like to have a similar phone.

At the Verizon store (both online and in store), they do not list the Droid 4 as a global phone. However, on the Motorola website, they do list the droid 4 as "global ready." The only phones that verizon said were "global ready" were the droid razr, droid razr max, and iphone 4s. At the moment, I am leaning towards trying out the iphone 4s.

I keep finding conflicting information on using a droid 4 globally. Is the phone locked? Is there anything I would need to do with Verizon before I can use the droid 4 on a UK local carrier?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by avrave
    Hi, I was looking to upgrade my phone before I travel to England. I was looking at getting a global phone. Currently, I have a droid 2 and would like to have a similar phone.

At the Verizon store (both online and in store), they do not list the Droid 4 as a global phone. However, on the Motorola website, they do list the droid 4 as "global ready." The only phones that verizon said were "global ready" were the droid razr, droid razr max, and iphone 4s. At the moment, I am leaning towards trying out the iphone 4s.

I keep finding conflicting information on using a droid 4 globally. Is the phone locked? Is there anything I would need to do with Verizon before I can use the droid 4 on a UK local carrier?
    The droid 4 is now global with ICS, it is listed as a global phone in the global phone section of the website.

It's unlocked, so you can use a foreign sim (microsim)
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    silver6054, thanks for the reply.

When I was at the store, I noticed the demo models for the droid 4 were running ICS, and I brought it up. The sales women said that while the droid 4 had the ICS, the global functionality isn't available yet, but will be in a few weeks whenever its ready.

I don't know if they just are wrong, or if there is something they aren't telling us. If you look at International Cell Phones - Global-Ready Phones| Verizon Wireless you see the droid razr and iphone 4s listed, but not the droid 4. They were right about those 2 being global ready at the Verizon store, but also said that the droid 4 was not global ready.

Also, everything I've looked up on Google has to do with the razr being international, I've found little about the droid 4 using local GSM cards.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    You have to love the Verizon Wireless web site. I was talking about the Global phone page, Global Phone

Which does show the Droid 4!

There are lots of reports on other forums of this phone working fine internationally, both with the Vodafone sim and the local SIM, and the UK was one of the first success reports. I am currently in the US, so I can't confirm easily, but I can put a foreign SIM in my phone and it accepts it without complaint (carrier block prevents a GSM connection to a us carrier) See Droid 4 working in the UK - success and howto - xda-developers for example, originally dealing with the ICS leak but the OTA is the same.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    I can confirm that an ICS D4 will work with a SIM card in London. I bought one from Car Phone Warehouse (so funny) for 10 pounds that gave me 300 minutes/300 texts and unlimited data. I never got data to work though. Something about manually changing the apn (which is only slightly less complicated than advanced molecular biophysics).

But yeah, it definitely works.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I can confirm that an ICS D4 will work with a SIM card in London. I bought one from Car Phone Warehouse (so funny) for 10 pounds that gave me 300 minutes/300 texts and unlimited data. I never got data to work though. Something about manually changing the apn (which is only slightly less complicated than advanced molecular biophysics).

But yeah, it definitely works.
    I used the Talkmobile SIMs from Carphone Warehouse (on my D2G, haven't been there since I got the 4). Worked fine, and the site has documentation on how to set the APN, which worked fine (on that phone!). Didn't get unlimited, but 25MB per day for 15 cents, which is much much better than Verizon's 100MB for $25!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Maybe I'm just stoopit.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I used my Droid 4 ICS successfully on GSM networks in Asia last month. Worked like a charm.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightLight View Post
    I used my Droid 4 ICS successfully on GSM networks in Asia last month. Worked like a charm.
    OK, I just obtained a Droid 4 on my last visit to the US and when I got it him did the OTA update via wifi to ICS and inserted my O2 SIM and verified that it registered on the O2 network and could see HSDPA/HSUPA networks. Great !

Now for the interesting question.
    If I take this phone back to the US and in Global Mode with my UK O2 SIM installed, will it allow me to obtain service whilst roaming.

Verizon do not have any roaming agreement with O2 so, my question is this. In Global Mode will the phone let me select AT&T or T-Mobile 2G service at 850/1900Mhz or even AT&T 4G service at 700Mhz which is the same band as Verizon ?

Or should I take a backup phone on my next trip.

Thanks

Mike
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    With a foreign SIM card in the Droid 4 (or any Verizon global ready phone), once in the US you will not be able to use the GSM services of AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. I live in the US using Verizon service and have a Vodaphone account as well for mainly Asia travels. I insert the Vodaphone SIM when I travel abroad but if I leave it in place when I return to the US the phone goes straight to the Verizon service only. There may be hacks for the radio to avoid this but I am not aware of any.
    Treo600, Treo 700W(X), Omnia 910, Moto Droid1, Moto Droid2(G), Moto Droid4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links