DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ICS observations/suggestions/complaints

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Go to the Security and uncheck "Power button instantly locks" and set the automatically lock to 5 minutes. Now when you press the power button it makes the screen to sleep. After 5 minutes it will lock the phone. Hope this tip helps.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Twitter
    wildernesscat
    Phone
    Droid 4
    On my phone the lock function simply doesn't kick in. Anyone else had this?
  3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit_taco

Actually, if it wasn't for Gingerbread only using the 2nd core once in a while (IE when you scrolled within the screen that displays the core usage, but it would sleep if you were just sitting at the top of the page), I wouldn't have a 'complaint' about the constant running of both cores.

And its "8bit" taco
    Oh my, so so sorry... Stupid auto correct. Usually i catch those things. I had to scroll back up to see what you were talking about.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernesscat
    On my phone the lock function simply doesn't kick in. Anyone else had this?
    If you are coming from Gingerbread you might be experiencing some buggy behavior.

I will assume that you already went into settings/security & screen lock and adjusted your lock settings. If you haven't, may I recommend an iPhone 5, jk!

Next would be to clear your cache. Two ways to do that: download All-in-one-Toolbox. Select tools then cache cleaner. Or turn off your phone and boot into recovery then select wipe cache.

If that doesn't work then do a data factory reset.

Gingerbread and ICS are like two people that speak different languages but can understand about 90% of the other language. For the most part it works but there will be times when it won't work no matter what you try. Without a FDR, your operating system is ICS and your apps are Gingerbread. Doing a FDR gets your os and apps on the same language.
    Last edited by Mike.757; 09-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    TisMyDroid and wildernesscat like this.
    Together is where I want to be...
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Mike, I love the language analogy. It is a perfect explanation. Don't be surprised if I use it when I am trying to explain the conflicts between ICS and FB.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Sounds good! Glad to help!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Twitter
    wildernesscat
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Thanks a lot Mike! The DFR did the trick. The phone works beautifully!
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit_taco View Post
    I also miss the "Task Manager" app that existed on Gingerbread, but I suppose I can live without it

Task managers are actually a horrible thing with a Linux based OS such as Android. Linux does its own thing when it comes to memory management, the theory being that unused memory is wasted memory. Still need to be supplied with power, so why waste it? Moto really should have never included one.

The following observations are thanks to an app called "System Panel", which I'm taking as gold, since it hasn't steered me wrong yet:

I know this can't be remedied, and is how ICS works, but both cores are running constantly. This was not the case while the phone still had Gingerbread. One went to 'sleep' when the workload wasn't heavy.

Back in the GB days, the second core was only used for processing touchscreen events. Now, it is used at all times; for multithreaded apps and/or load balancing. This is a VERY good thing.

I try to kill all apps that I'm not using, but another thing I've noticed, and again assume is 'just how ICS works', is that it uses almost twice as much RAM as Gingerbread did. At least on my phone, ICS is using 400-500MB, where as GB was only using 200-300. I have not noticed any slow down, but I can only assume this doesn't help battery life.

Again, unused memory is a waste. One big thing about ICS for the Moto OMAP4 devices is that is uses 256MB of memory JUST for the audio/video codecs. This doesn't even include the actual OS. This is a BIG reason why the D3 won't see ICS.
    I just wanted to touch on a couple of your points, for easy readability my answers are in bold blue.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 1
    It seems I might be one of the lucky few that have not been forced to ( or accidentally) upgrade to ICS. I have read a lot of negative post's about it and very few positive ones. I am very happy with almost everything the Droid 4 does right now with Gingerbread. My list of gripes is very short.
    1. Ghosting-
    I assume ICS does not do anything to improve this one

2. Integration of bookmarks-
    I know there are third party apps for this but I could never find one I liked.
    From what I read you can get chrome with ICS which will FINALLY Intergrate my bookmarks With Google. However chrome seems to come with sum buggy flaky / behavior. I did not like the stock browser on the original Droid And ended up using dolphin. I really like the stock browser on the Droid 4, It does almost everything I would like And seems very stable.

3. Keyboard lights (REALLY)-
    This one probably bugs me the most. I have read about the way these devices interpret light and realize it is a little more complex than one would think. Motorola said they fixed this problem with the last update but I did not notice any difference at all. All they really need to do to fix the problem is give us user adjustable settings. I really don't think that is too much to ask. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe there are any user adjustable settings for the keyboard lights in ICS.

That's really about it. So for me I don't believe the good will outweigh the potentially bad so I don't think I'm going to jump on board just to get the latest but not so greatest ....

It's a little ironic for me because with all of the great expectations of ICS I was holding off rooting the phone until I had updated to ICS. So now I think I'm just going to stick with Gingerbread and go ahead and root the phone. Then at least I can get control of my keyboard lights.....

In addition... I believe routing is the only way to get rid of The Daily nag screen to Update to ICS.

Rich....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by wildernesscat View Post
    Thanks a lot Mike! The DFR did the trick. The phone works beautifully!
    Glad it worked for you! Enjoy!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links