DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Bought a droid 4 today - should i return it- please answer asap!

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Samsung galaxy note 2
    The gnex is supposed to be guaranteed to get every new os for the next two years so if you could consider that. The only thing I don't love about the gnex is the lack of gorilla glass

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    97% of all new Android phones are sold with 2.3.x OS on them (Gingerbread).

0% of all Android phones ever came with 3.x.x OS on them (Honeycomb - tablet only OS).

3% of all Android phones are shipping with 4.x.x OS (Ice Cream Sandwich) and a number of the 98% are getting upgraded to 4.0.x (ICS).

0% of phones have shipped with 4.1.x OS (Jelly Bean) at this time....only the Nexus 7 (tablet) and Motorola Xoom WiFi (tablet) have official manufacturer released 4.1.1 on them.

No one knows if any of the current phones will ever get JB 4.1.1 on them. Some carriers/manufacturers may use Jelly Bean as an excuse to get customers to buy new(er) devices. Some may get upgraded. Since most are still waiting on ICS to be released for their devices......we'll have to hit that milestone before most manufacturers will start talking about upgrading/models for 4.1.1

A few new phones just announced are set to release with ICS on them.

There is no way to know if the Droid 4 will or will not get Jelly Bean on it. ICS is coming absolutely....and an upgrade to JB from ICS shouldn't be as difficult as it was to upgrade the Droid 4 from Gingerbread to ICS. But there is still no way to know at this time if that will happen.
    TisMyDroid likes this.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    The numbering is a bit confusing if you aren't used to it. 4.0 ice cream sandwich was only released last November, if i remember correctly, and it was the version directly after 2.3 Gingerbread for phones (3.0 Honeycomb was a tablet-only OS). Motorola seems to have taken a long time to upgrade it's phones to ICS (short for Ice Cream Sandwich), but really, almost all phones that were promised the upgrade took about as long.

Jelly Bean probably won't see market saturation for about a year, and phone manufacturers aren't incentivized to provide updates to phones they've already sunk a lot of research and development money on, and aren't making any more money on. They would prefer you buy a new phone. That is why we suspect Motorola won't update the D4 to Jelly Bean, as well as the fact that the D3 won't get the ICS upgrade in spite of being fully capable of it and being released not that long before it came out.

That being said, Motorola is now owned by Google, so that may actually change things...at least, that is what all us Moto users are hoping.

Sent from my ICS Bionic
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    Well thank you again everyone, i guess i'm just going to play with the droid 4 for a few days and use it WITHOUT the keyboard to see if i could go keyless (i just got the phone saturday so i still have time) I wish i could wait until the fall/winter but some things happened with my family and i had to get my own contract so if i didnt get it yesterday i'd be without a phone... I really enjoy the 4 i like everything EXCEPT the OS - i'm glad ice cream sandwich is coming but it just sucks many of you don't think it'll get jellybean.. This is why i hate phones/contracts - you buy and one and its immediately old and won't even get the upgrade. I really like what i see about jellybean so if i switch it'll be to the galaxy 3- but we'll see how much i need the keyboard in the next few days.. Such a hard decision- but thanks for helping a newbie out!
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    You're welcome... and you are right, such a hard decision. I spent months deciding between Razr, Rezound and Nexus. I think once you see how swype touch keyboard works for you, you will have a better idea of what you want to do.
    la1481 likes this.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 4
    Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get - i'm really gonna try to give this touch screen a go because it seems like my best bet is to exchange for the galaxy s3 - thanks again guys- this site rocks you have all been very helpful
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    Both Motorola and Verizon are slow on upgrades, and no major incentive exists for Verizon (or any wireless company) to push new operating systems when the old ones are functional
    Googorola MAXX
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Well, I think Motorola is making ICS available to their eligible devices in the order that they were released. Well that is not true either because Razr got theirs before Bionic. But Droid 4 is supposed to be getting theirs before August according to Moto's website. Of course, that can change also. Check out...

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by la1481 View Post
    Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get
    A lot of us don't get it, but it is actually pretty common with ICS it seems. There are a lot of us that theorize that there were some underlying issues with ICS that caused the delays we all experienced, though there is also the fact that Verizon tends to hold up the upgrade process.

Sent from my ICS Bionic
  10. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by la1481 View Post
    Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get - i'm really gonna try to give this touch screen a go because it seems like my best bet is to exchange for the galaxy s3 - thanks again guys- this site rocks you have all been very helpful
    Its not that simple. One Google releases the code, Motorola has to either attempt to merge it in to their current building system or start from scratch with ICS as the base and attempt to merge their motoblur code into it.

ICE had dramatic changes in code and source layout that were significantly greater than any other code change. It is a very difficult task upgrading a device from Gingerbread to ICS. ICS to Jelly Bean should be a much simpler jump.

Manufacturers plan their devices months in advance of them hitting the market and don't have the luxury of sitting around waiting for the next OS announcement and then the release from Google.

Currently I've seen/read of zero phones scheduled to launch with Jelly Bean. Eventually they will...but phones on the radar to come out soon are still ICS based. The Galaxy SIII will probably be upgraded to JB, but Samsung just recently started the SII line roll out of ICS. Working that same schedule should we expect another seven to eight months for JB to come to the SIII?

Buy your device for the features you want now and not on the "hope" of what it may do in the future. The future never arrives....because something newer/better/cooler is always "just around the corner".

If JB is a must...take the Droid 4 back and wait until a phone is released with Jelly Bean on it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links