DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) on Droid 4?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3

Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) on Droid 4?

According to recent news, an unofficial leaked ROM of Jelly Bean has been released on the Galaxy S2 as well as a few other similiar phones. Does anyone know if it would be possible to port these builds over to the Droid 4? I just purchased my Droid 4 yesterday, and while owning a Droid 3 running Steal Droid 5.6 (Ice Cream Sandwich), I've grown quiet tired of the whole ICS build itself, and I'm looking for more. I'm really excited to see how smooth Jelly Bean runs thanks to Project Butter, so seeing a ROM like this running on the beastly Droid 4 would be an Android lovers dream come true. So my question is, can it be done? Or will we have to wait until the official list/release of 4.1?
    Last edited by jdinardo30; 07-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.
  2. Droid X Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    X, neXus
    Premium Member
    It'll be easier once source drops.. so far all the jelly bean builds are ported from sdk pulled off galaxy nexus from Google I/o conference
    We have nothing to fear but running out of beer
    Dont mind me... i'm just falling...
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo Aeternamn View Post
    It'll be easier once source drops.. so far all the jelly bean builds are ported from sdk pulled off galaxy nexus from Google I/o conference
    Makes sense, only reason I asked is because I know the devs on here are known for doing some pretty crazy/interesting/cool stuff lol, so I wasn't sure if it would be done sooner or later.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Wait until mid-July when the source for Jelly Bean drops, then it's game time.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    hey i just got a droid 4 a few days ago too, did yours come with android 2.3.6?! that seems quite outdated... and when i check for updates there are none!
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    The official ICS update hasn't been released yet, hang tight for android 4.0.4. Or you can install a leak if waiting isn't your thing.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
    hey i just got a droid 4 a few days ago too, did yours come with android 2.3.6?! that seems quite outdated... and when i check for updates there are none!
    It's not as outdated as it looks. The last mobile phone version of android is Gingerbread (2.3.6) and the next one is ICS. Android 3.x was Honeycomb or something like that, was only for tablets, and they never released the source. Basically, ICS is the next step from Gingerbread as far as you're concerned.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinardo30 View Post
    According to recent news, an unofficial leaked ROM of Jelly Bean has been released on the Galaxy S2 as well as a few other similiar phones. Does anyone know if it would be possible to port these builds over to the Droid 4? I just purchased my Droid 4 yesterday, and while owning a Droid 3 running Steal Droid 5.6 (Ice Cream Sandwich), I've grown quiet tired of the whole ICS build itself, and I'm looking for more. I'm really excited to see how smooth Jelly Bean runs thanks to Project Butter, so seeing a ROM like this running on the beastly Droid 4 would be an Android lovers dream come true. So my question is, can it be done? Or will we have to wait until the official list/release of 4.1?
    FWIW, JB is just an incremental update. because we have official drivers, kernel, etc., for the D4, moving to Android 4.1 is just a matter of customization.

with that said, I wouldn't hold your breath for Moto to release anything. ICS is probably the end of the road for the D4, but who knows.

Links