DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Couple of questions

  1. Droid
    EastPhilly's Avatar
    Member #
    191136
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    52
    Phone
    Droid 2 R2D2
    #1

    Couple of questions

    Hello everyone!
    So I have the Droid 4 coming from the Droid 2. So much faster and a bit less glitchy, but still having some problems. So I thought I'd ask/post problems here and see what results I can get.

    Background:
    - Rooted
    - Rom Toolbox installed
    - Root Dim installed

    1. When I type out sentences for texting/email/whatever I'm typing in the words seem to lag pretty badly. I was thinking this may be because i lowered the CPU to 600mhz, but I don't know why processing power could affect typing out words that much.

    2. So the battery is pretty bad. I bought the extended pack from Verizon (A day before I saw someone here post one that seems 3x better for only $10 more... poopy). I use root dim to keep the display down pretty low and set up some profiles on Rom Toolbox's CPU changer to keep the CPU down when screen is off and when battery is low. I also keep it on 3g most of the time and use WiFi in my house and at work. Has anyone found other apps/tips that could help with the battery life? Does root dim actually dim the light or is it just filtered (doesn't affect battery as much)? I bought the extended battery for my 2 as the original pretty much lost half its juice after overheating badly during the summer. The extended battery would keep my phone going for a good 2 days.

    3. What is the most recent update for the Droid 4? Right now mine is on 2.3.6. I didn't check to see if there were updates, but it says there are none now. Problem is I did not know I needed to keep all original Verizon files and deleted (not froze) a few of them (nothing system related, just bloatware - Verizon Music, MotoPrint, etc...) Some of them reinstalled by themselves through updates, but I don't think all of them are still there. If needed I will wait and just flash ICS when it comes out, but I don't like doing that kind of stuff as I am not THAT intelligible when it comes to this stuff without a step by step video walkthrough. Edit: Looked this up. I think I am up to date. System Version 6.13.219?

    4. A lot of times it seems like I need to press an icon more than once for it to actually open/respond. The icon will highlight, but not respond until I hit it again.

    Any other suggestions of apps for me to use? Any fun games people like? Thanks to all who can help!

    edit2: Remembered something else I wanted to ask. I am using my Droid 2 as a DroidTouch type device now I know I can't make calls and wot have data access besides wifi, but could I still activate GPS and receive signal? Kind of use it as my all in one fitness trainer?
    Last edited by EastPhilly; 06-17-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Another question
  2. Senior Droid
    schatzy62's Avatar
    Member #
    119079
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    151
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
    Hello everyone!
    So I have the Droid 4 coming from the Droid 2. So much faster and a bit less glitchy, but still having some problems. So I thought I'd ask/post problems here and see what results I can get.

    Background:
    - Rooted
    - Rom Toolbox installed
    - Root Dim installed

    1. When I type out sentences for texting/email/whatever I'm typing in the words seem to lag pretty badly. I was thinking this may be because i lowered the CPU to 600mhz, but I don't know why processing power could affect typing out words that much.
    I would go back to normal CPU (out of the box) settings and see what happens.

    I use Handsent and occssionaly see this if I have more that 1200-1300 texts. once i delete them (or most of them) then the problem goes away.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
    2. So the battery is pretty bad. I bought the extended pack from Verizon (A day before I saw someone here post one that seems 3x better for only $10 more... poopy). I use root dim to keep the display down pretty low and set up some profiles on Rom Toolbox's CPU changer to keep the CPU down when screen is off and when battery is low. I also keep it on 3g most of the time and use WiFi in my house and at work. Has anyone found other apps/tips that could help with the battery life? Does root dim actually dim the light or is it just filtered (doesn't affect battery as much)? I bought the extended battery for my 2 as the original pretty much lost half its juice after overheating badly during the summer. The extended battery would keep my phone going for a good 2 days.
    not sure what you call bad but my phone runs 12-14 hours with 2-3 hours of calls and 200-300 texts and an hour of video watching in that time. So to ma that is not really all that bad. Oh and i dont use any type of monitoring or cpu manager or any ofthose other supposed battery saving techniques. I find many of them use more battery than they save.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
    3. What is the most recent update for the Droid 4? Right now mine is on 2.3.6. I didn't check to see if there were updates, but it says there are none now. Problem is I did not know I needed to keep all original Verizon files and deleted (not froze) a few of them (nothing system related, just bloatware - Verizon Music, MotoPrint, etc...) Some of them reinstalled by themselves through updates, but I don't think all of them are still there. If needed I will wait and just flash ICS when it comes out, but I don't like doing that kind of stuff as I am not THAT intelligible when it comes to this stuff without a step by step video walkthrough. Edit: Looked this up. I think I am up to date. System Version 6.13.219?
    That seems to be the latest version. That is what i have and have no upgrades available.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
    4. A lot of times it seems like I need to press an icon more than once for it to actually open/respond. The icon will highlight, but not respond until I hit it again.
    personally i have never seen this problem but it could be that my touch is just a bit more than yours.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastPhilly View Post
    Any other suggestions of apps for me to use? Any fun games people like? Thanks to all who can help!

    edit2: Remembered something else I wanted to ask. I am using my Droid 2 as a DroidTouch type device now I know I can't make calls and wot have data access besides wifi, but could I still activate GPS and receive signal? Kind of use it as my all in one fitness trainer?
    I use my Droid X in the car for a secondary navigation unit by wifi link to my Droid 4 and it works great. This way i can have one running and one that my passanger can scroll thru to find alternate routes for congested areas.
  3. Developer
    tcrews's Avatar
    Member #
    31907
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,353
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    #3
    Droid 4, rooted and bloat frozen, Holo Launcher as default launcher. I don't have any of the issues you are reporting.

    You might want to fastboot flash the stock .219 image files and start over from the beginning (clean). Maybe don't install ROM Toolbox and use any of it's features.

    I use the stock text messaging app, use WiFi at work and 4G all the other times. Average use (phone, txt, emails, web, app download/updates). Comes off the charger at 6:15am and goes back on around 11:00pm...still in the green.

    Biggest differences I've done is to NOT treat it the way I treated my older phone (OG Droid). Some of the same procedures do not seem to work as well or even needed (CPU management).
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

  4. Droid
    EastPhilly's Avatar
    Member #
    191136
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    52
    Phone
    Droid 2 R2D2
    #4
    Will doing a factory reset restore those deleted apps?
  5. Developer
    tcrews's Avatar
    Member #
    31907
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,353
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    #5
    No, Factory Reset only "resets" user configuration and user downloaded/installed apps. It does not touch system. It really needs to be renamed because it doesn't reset it to how it came from the Factory. It just wipes out what a user (normal, non-SuperUser user) would do.....add a gmail account info, twitter account info, install some apps from the Market, etc...

    You should be able to Fastboot the .219 GB images with no issues....re-root and start over.

    Or you could manually grab the stock .219 "system dump" I believe is posted in Hacking or Development sections....and manually copy those files back in (.apk and .odex files), making sure to set the proper permissions on each as well.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

  6. Droid
    EastPhilly's Avatar
    Member #
    191136
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    52
    Phone
    Droid 2 R2D2
    #6
    Well thats no fun. I went through the list and found all of the .apks I deleted. I used total commander, changed the system/app folder from RO > RW. Placed the apps back in the folder. Remounted the folder as read only.
    Now I have them all back (as far as I can tell).
    Woo!

    Total command made this very easy.
  7. Developer
    tcrews's Avatar
    Member #
    31907
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,353
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    #7
    Make sure to set permissions on each to match the apps already there. You shouldn't have to install the apps...just reboot.

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Couple questions
    By slimpirudude in forum Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 11:17 PM
  2. A couple questions
    By snowboardpunk in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
  3. Just a couple questions...
    By brittbusby in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM
  4. Couple of app questions
    By Jus Cruisin in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 08:52 AM
  5. a couple questions....
    By MajorWhiteBoy in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2010, 12:27 AM

Search tags for this page

galaxy s3 root dim

,

rom toolbox profiles cpu

,

root dim for s3

,

root dim for verizon galaxy s3

,

rootdim galaxy s3

,

why cant i download and save photos from my droid4 to my com

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+