DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Stop Verizon From Throttling Your Phone

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    No 4g 'optimization' according to the things I've read. It only applies to Unlimted 3G users who fall into the top 5%.

And how are you paying 'extra'? For $30/mo, you can have either 2GB or Unlimited data. Its all dependent upon when you signed up.
    Last edited by B-Unit; 03-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (learning root)
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    No 4g 'optimization' according to the things I've read. It only applies to Unlimted 3G users who fall into the top 5%.

And how are you paying 'extra'? For $30/mo, you can have either 2GB or Unlimited data. Its all dependent upon when you signed up.
    Wow! Two gigs is all you get now?
    I can push close to that just surfing 3G w/no media streaming at all.

Unlimited was more costly than, I think it was, 5gigs capped when I got it a year ago.

You seem to have a handle on this stuff. How is LTE throttled? By what standard & @ what level?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Learning Android root on a Droid X while waiting 4Godot (or the Droid "4G" -- whichever comes first...)

Perspective Instantiates Reality .

~
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Does anyone think it might be a good idea to jump on the double data plan while it is still available?

Even if they don't throttle 4G phones, they might in a few months. I'm debating on getting the 4gb plan for 30 bucks and not have to deal with throttling.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (learning root)
    Quote Originally Posted by maneetb View Post
    Does anyone think it might be a good idea to jump on the double data plan while it is still available?

Even if they don't throttle 4G phones, they might in a few months. I'm debating on getting the 4gb plan for 30 bucks and not have to deal with throttling.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
    I have grandfathered unlimited data but it is no guarantee I won't get throttled if vzw changes its throttling ways.

AT&T has just gone to a 5gig cap on 4G data. Vzw may have to adjust upward to meet that challenge.

( By DX w/DF app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 03-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Learning Android root on a Droid X while waiting 4Godot (or the Droid "4G" -- whichever comes first...)

Perspective Instantiates Reality .

~
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    401 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Saw an article the other day that only 5% of VZW users are on LTE. Had to be a misprint.

But consider that LTE has at least 10X+ the bandwidth of 3G based on throughput alone. There should be absolutely no need to throttle below 5gigs. I'm just doing the rough math in my head....if last year 25% of subscribers had smartphones (I think it was higher), then theoretically even 100% (it's closer to 50% currently) is only 4X the bandwidth. Even with usages increasing, you have to have the average user increase 2.5X data use to get to about the same place before the LTE rollout.

VZW has a good network, AT&T is fairly spotty (I have an IPad with AT&T and seems like I can never get a decent data speed when I need to use it). I don't expect VZW to do much to its LTE users either in terms of data limits or throttling.

I think VZW will try to convert those users to limited plans with needed services in the future (such as VoLTE). Here's how I expect it to work....I currently pay $70+ a month for 450 minutes and unlimited data. VZW comes out with VoLTE, and then I can now get unlimited minutes along with maybe 4gigs of data (when my usage rarely goes above 2gigs since I'm on wifi most of the time) for the same price. I'm sure other plans will offer savings for other customers with different needs.

For all the whining, I've yet to see VZW do anything with their plans that didn't create value for far more users than a rather nominal amount who may have been hurt. Such complaints almost always come from people "free riding" to some extent trying to save a buck. Nothing wrong with that, but those types ultimately believe VZW should make a nominal profit and grossly underestimate the cost. Basically, they will always feel ripped off paying anything more than a few bucks.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Wow! Two gigs is all you get now?
    I can push close to that just surfing 3G w/no media streaming at all.

Unlimited was more costly than, I think it was, 5gigs capped when I got it a year ago.

You seem to have a handle on this stuff. How is LTE throttled? By what standard & @ what level?

( By DX w/DF app. )
    At this time there is no 4g throttling or 'optimization', at least that VZ admits to.
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Phone
    Droid 4/ Bionic/ RAZR/ Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    At this time there is no 4g throttling or 'optimization', at least that VZ admits to.
    Yes no throttling on 4g but there is on 3g this hack is pretty much only for those in 3g land an to stop the phones built in throttle

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Note 3, Droid 4 (Vet)
    Well, used 18 GB last month, no throttling. Went crazy with my new magical 4G connection... when your phone internet is faster than your home (talking about uploads 10Mbs : 0.5Mbs), that's kinda sad.

Of course I was grandfathered into my unlimited... thank god

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    I'm paying extra for supposedly "unlimited" 4G LTE data. But in reality, if I try to utilize the superior performance of my vzw phone, I will be deprived of the very features I am paying extra money for well before others who are not paying that higher rate. And others in my position will also be penalized at a rate far higher than 5% for simply using the extra performance they paid vzw to get.

What would be fair would be to throttle only the top 5% in each category: 3G, 3G unlimited, 4G, 4G unlimited.
    How are you possibly paying "extra" for unlimited LTE? The grandfathered unlimited plans are the same price as the smallest capped plan.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by sargentmajord View Post
    Yes no throttling on 4g but there is on 3g this hack is pretty much only for those in 3g land an to stop the phones built in throttle

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
    I can assure you Verizon does throttle 4g and seems to be doing so to me even after SQL throttle editing
    I'm at about 90 gigs. Hope this helps.

Speedtest.net has an app to test your upload and download incase you want to check for yourself
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links