DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Compared to a Droid 1, any downsides?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Compared to a Droid 1, any downsides?

Currently own a Droid 1. Looking at the Droid 4. Obviously, there are numerous obvious improvements.

But my question is, is there any downside? Is there *anything*, no matter how small, that I might find the Droid 4 inferior to the Droid 1. Random things, size, weight, speaker, sound quality, etc.... I know the battery life doesn't live up to the Razor MAXX. But for me, all it has to exceed is Droid 1, a much softer target. Interface, bloadware.

Ability to run OpenVPN? Quirks to be aware of?

I am very, VERY happy with my D1. I have a fully functional multi-interface linux router in my pocket. I'm VERY happy, I love this phone.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @DrDiff962
    Phone
    Moto DroidX
    OK. Remember that the OD was free range vanilla android. Unlocked boot loader goodness! That you could swap out batteries.

Droid4 is blur, Motor's locked boot loader, and non replaceable battery HELL!

IMHO these "improvements" negate the better keyboard and screen.

I'd still be rocking my OD, if I hadn't dropped it and broke the screen!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited by DrDiff; 02-19-2012 at 04:47 AM.
    Rooted DroidX
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    GN2 Stock
    Blur isn't a boot loader. Its a launcher and as such is replaceable.

Moto's boot loader is locked, and will be until Verizon stops asking for it to be.

The battery is not easily replaceable. My D1's original battery worked flawlessly up until I replaced the phone. The D4 however has a dual core processor and will do LTE. Both of those things consume much more battery power. There are new OS features that help you manage battery use though so you'll have to stay tuned to see how people are dealing with the size of battery that Moto chose for the phone--which, if memory serves, is larger than the battery the D1 came with.

IMHO, the keyboard is oen of the main values of this phone. Speed is the other. Nothing could be done to reduce the value of the keyboard over the D1. Its like night and day. If a hard keyboard is a necessity for you, get the D3 or D4. The speed difference is also like night and day. Though it may take replacing Blur with ADW for you to truly appreciate the difference.

If you are truly bugged by a non-replaceable battery and must have a hard keyboard, get a D3. If you just gotta have LTE, go for this phone and accept the battery.
    chefboyardee likes this.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid, Droid 2, Droid 4
    I came from a Droid 1, only downsides so far... no camera button, locked bootloader, no spf files or means to return to stock/restore should something happen, Droid 4 does root, but thats about all for now with it still being new. oh and bloatware, I dont like the verizon software. The motocast is a cool addition coming from droid 1. the pictures I take sync straight to the pc at home. Hopefully when roms start coming out a few of the motorola things stick around or can be added in like gapps seperately.
    Last edited by Hyde895; 02-19-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Motorola Droid (A855)
    CPU: TI OMAP 3430: Arm Cortex A8
    GPU:PowerVR SGX 530
    Rom: CynogenMod-7-11162011-NIGHTLY-Droid
    Kernal: 2.6.32-lowV-1.1Ghz-ChevyNo1

Motorola Droid 2 (A955)- Docked "Alarm Clock"
    CPU: TI OMAP 3620:Superscalar ARM® Cortex™-A8 RISC core
    GPU:PowerVR SGX
    Rom: Liberty Rom 3, Overclocked to 1.38 Ghz.

Motorola Droid 4 (XT894, Masarati)
    CPU: TI OMAP 4430:1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor
    GPU:PowerVR SGX 540
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I absolutely love my D4 and I didn't think it was possible to replace my D1 and be happy. So far, battery life has not been a problem for me. I used one of my apps to freeze and hide the bloatware (not a problem) and the only place they show up is in the app manager. It's lightning fast and easy to use. The QWERTY on it is a little different but the feel is similar to my WP7 phone with AT&T. Overall, I think it was the best choice possible to replace my D1. As far as locked bootloaders and non removable batteries go, I don't mind. Root is easy enough and ROMs will follow.
    Moto Droid
    SS v.___what week is it? Chevyno1 is awesome
    1.0 ghz lv kernel
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr33dom View Post
    Blur isn't a boot loader. Its a launcher and as such is replaceable.

Moto's boot loader is locked, and will be until Verizon stops asking for it to be.

The battery is not easily replaceable. My D1's original battery worked flawlessly up until I replaced the phone. The D4 however has a dual core processor and will do LTE. Both of those things consume much more battery power. There are new OS features that help you manage battery use though so you'll have to stay tuned to see how people are dealing with the size of battery that Moto chose for the phone--which, if memory serves, is larger than the battery the D1 came with.

IMHO, the keyboard is oen of the main values of this phone. Speed is the other. Nothing could be done to reduce the value of the keyboard over the D1. Its like night and day. If a hard keyboard is a necessity for you, get the D3 or D4. The speed difference is also like night and day. Though it may take replacing Blur with ADW for you to truly appreciate the difference.

If you are truly bugged by a non-replaceable battery and must have a hard keyboard, get a D3. If you just gotta have LTE, go for this phone and accept the battery.
    Beautiful post. I second everything here. My wife doesn't care about 4g and loves her D3 because of battery life and having a spare battery. I love this keyboard, and I NEED LTE and am willing to carry a small battery pack and/or use smart actions to manage my battery life. Do I wish the battery were removable and the bootloader were unlocked? Absolutely. Is it a dealbreaker for me, personally? No, because the speed of the OS is amazing and the keyboard is truly heavenly to type on.

Edit: As another poster mentioned, the lack of a camera button is a little bit annoying. Some might not mind but I do. I'll get used to it eventually but it's definitely an adjustment for me.
    Fr33dom likes this.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr33dom View Post

Pure FUD. Interesting how this supposed Verizon policy doesnt slow Samsung or HTC down in unlocking bootloaders.
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    GN2 Stock
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    Pure FUD. Interesting how this supposed Verizon policy doesnt slow Samsung or HTC down in unlocking bootloaders.
    Do you even understand what FUD is? Where is the Fear? Where is the Uncertainty? And lets not forget doubt, where is the Doubt?

Now that we've added clarity to that, how about those Samsung and HTC phones?

Samsung's Verizon Galaxy Nexus is locked (and its not the only one):
    Got a Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Don’t do a factory reset or unlock the bootloader just Yet! | AndroidSPIN

HTC's Verizon phones are locked. They offer a tool to unlock them--you might just be lucky enough to use it successfully:
    Verizon Wireless – Allow Unlocking of HTC boot-loaders on your Network | groubal complaints

While HTC has made comments that it will unlock all its phones, remember, its Verizon that exercises control over what it accepts on its network.

It may be illegal, but they're still doing it: It is Illegal for Verizon to Lock Some Bootloaders (Updated) | xda-developers
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Just for the hell of it I opened the keyboard with the camera on as long as your gallery pic isn't highlighted if you press and hold the OK button the small one under the enter button it's like the D1. The volume controls the zoom in and out. Just watch your fingers now. (When the gallery image in top left was selected pressing the OK button went to the gallery)
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    So how do you get to the camera? Theres no icon to click (touch)?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links