DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Battery Life

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    I got mine Friday, and I am very concerned about the battery. I had an original droid, and the battery had gotten terrible. I was excited to get a new slider and have better battery life. Not working out that way.

I realize with all the bells and whistles of the phone the battery will be taxed, but so far it will die after 8-9 hours of light-moderate use. Mainly of texting, a word game and uber social app. I'm not doing a lot of browsing or calling. And it is still dying that fast.

Yesterday I only got 6.5 hours out of my battery. Wasn't watching movies, wasn't using youtube or browsing the web. Texting/UberSocial/Wordfeud/Foursquare. 6.5 hours. And I even have a GPS shortcut that I turn on and off when I use FourSquare. It's pathetic and very disappointing. And yes, I have smart actions enabled for when the battery reaches 25%. I think I am going to have to pay Verizon a visit and do something about it either trying a different Droid 4 or another device entirely ulnless you guys have some advice or reassurances.

When I bought the phone, the Verizon guy told me to let the battery die before charging it. And he said to let this happen a few times before plugging it in before death or using a car charger. I listened to him. Based on what some of you have said he sounds wrong, and I'd like to know if this could be part of the reasoning for my battery being terrible.

So in summary I guess I have the following questions:

1. Could I just have a bad battery and need a new device?

2. Did what the Verizon guy tell me to do damage the battery life of the phone?

3. As someone else asked, what do you do if Verizon turns on the device to set it up and doesn't allow you the suggestion of fully charging before booting up?

4. Does WiFi use less battery than 4G LTE?

5. Why is the Android OS using far more battery than the Display? This is a huge contrast to the Orginal Droid.

6. Tell me what to do. Please.

Thank you.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2290 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley25 View Post
    I got mine Friday, and I am very concerned about the battery. I had an original droid, and the battery had gotten terrible. I was excited to get a new slider and have better battery life. Not working out that way.

I realize with all the bells and whistles of the phone the battery will be taxed, but so far it will die after 8-9 hours of light-moderate use. Mainly of texting, a word game and uber social app. I'm not doing a lot of browsing or calling. And it is still dying that fast.

Yesterday I only got 6.5 hours out of my battery. Wasn't watching movies, wasn't using youtube or browsing the web. Texting/UberSocial/Wordfeud/Foursquare. 6.5 hours. And I even have a GPS shortcut that I turn on and off when I use FourSquare. It's pathetic and very disappointing. And yes, I have smart actions enabled for when the battery reaches 25%. I think I am going to have to pay Verizon a visit and do something about it either trying a different Droid 4 or another device entirely ulnless you guys have some advice or reassurances.

When I bought the phone, the Verizon guy told me to let the battery die before charging it. And he said to let this happen a few times before plugging it in before death or using a car charger. I listened to him. Based on what some of you have said he sounds wrong, and I'd like to know if this could be part of the reasoning for my battery being terrible.

So in summary I guess I have the following questions:

1. Could I just have a bad battery and need a new device?

2. Did what the Verizon guy tell me to do damage the battery life of the phone?

3. As someone else asked, what do you do if Verizon turns on the device to set it up and doesn't allow you the suggestion of fully charging before booting up?

4. Does WiFi use less battery than 4G LTE?

5. Why is the Android OS using far more battery than the Display? This is a huge contrast to the Orginal Droid.

6. Tell me what to do. Please.

Thank you.
    I'll answer #2. To do what he said will not do any perceivable amount of damage to the battery, as long as it was only a few times. Unfortunately it will also do nothing to help the battery to push its charging capacity beyond where it was at point of manufacture.

Where the negative effects of such deep discharging and recharging or "cycling" are seen is over extended periods of time and multiple repeated cycling. By extending the discharge and them fully charging stresses the battery. Damage can occur with even just one extreme discharge that goes below certain voltage level thresholds. Fortunately, the charging circuitry in the phone is designed to shut the phone off long before such damage occurs. If the charging circuitry were to fail and allow such deep discharge, even once, it could render the battery irreparable and unable to take any subsequent charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Last edited by FoxKat; 02-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    My battery seems to be lasting over 12 hours with moderate use - Texting, web browsing, some calls, light gaming. WiFi will KILL your battery in like 2 hours. I would highly suggest to NEVER EVER use wifi. the 4g is really fast anyway. and will use up a fraction of the battery power. Also remember to kill off battery draining apps that are open in the background. And, live wall papers will drain a lot of battery, too. Also, turn off GPS when you aren't using it. Another obvious battery drain is your screen. Turn it off whenever you aren't using it.

You should be able to get a good 12 hours from one full charge. If you are not, you need to look at your usage and turn off whatever you aren't using at the moment.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    When you have a verizon wireless service rep that turns the phone on without charging it to activate it then what? You would think they know their stuff..

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
    I know the people at my Verizon do NOT know their stuff. First the guy couldn't find the battery and didn't believe me that it was non-removable.. and then he almost broke the battery cover trying to get it on. Totally scratched the thing up by where you put the key in to get the battery cover off. and THEN he was going through my e-mails and stuff. He said he had to send an activation e-mail... yeah, why does it take 5 minutes to do that. handed it back to me and he was in my e-mails and there was a new one that was already marked as read. he was pretty shady. I do NOT trust these "experts" with my phone... I have done more research and know more about it then they will ever know.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
    My battery seems to be lasting over 12 hours with moderate use - Texting, web browsing, some calls, light gaming. WiFi will KILL your battery in like 2 hours. I would highly suggest to NEVER EVER use wifi. the 4g is really fast anyway. and will use up a fraction of the battery power. Also remember to kill off battery draining apps that are open in the background. And, live wall papers will drain a lot of battery, too. Also, turn off GPS when you aren't using it. Another obvious battery drain is your screen. Turn it off whenever you aren't using it.

You should be able to get a good 12 hours from one full charge. If you are not, you need to look at your usage and turn off whatever you aren't using at the moment.
    Well I keep being told not to kill apps. Android just re-boots them and the re-starting of an app drains more battery than an app just idling in the background.

Apps that start despite my not using them are:

Facebook
    Maps
    IM
    Verizon Location Agent
    Email Accounts
    ESPN ScoreCenter
    The Weather Channel
    Backup Assistant Plus
    GoToMeeting
    Voicemail
    DataOffload
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo85 View Post
    easy on the tone there, B. never did i say i would DEMAND a new one...but i'm certainly not going to deal with about 8 hours of battery life on a single charge, especially coming from my DX on liberty getting ~2 days of battery life on it with the standard battery.

and...since its in these supposed "instructions," what book and page number did you get it from?
    Droid4 User guide, page 3, step 4 is 'Charge up' with a clock indicating you should let it go for ~3 hours.
    DROID4: Rooted and OC Hacked
    DROID : SimplyStunning 5.6 1.2 Ghz ULV Kernel
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Wi-Fi used up less power than 3G mode. It was my belief that since the phone is always searching for a signal in 3G, it uses up more juice than Wi-Fi. Am I incorrect about this?

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas84 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Wi-Fi used up less power than 3G mode. It was my belief that since the phone is always searching for a signal in 3G, it uses up more juice than Wi-Fi. Am I incorrect about this?

No no no... WiFi uses tons more battery power than 3G/4G. Plus, when you have WiFi on... you still have 4g on anyway.

Granted, I have heard otherwise. But in my experience, I just turn WiFi of and leave it off.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Unit View Post
    Droid4 User guide, page 3, step 4 is 'Charge up' with a clock indicating you should let it go for ~3 hours.
    bravo. and now for you to address the second part of my original quote...
    http://db.tt/1NIfob4 -dropbox referral. feel free.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic and Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by fingaz View Post
    No no no... WiFi uses tons more battery power than 3G/4G. Plus, when you have WiFi on... you still have 4g on anyway.

Granted, I have heard otherwise. But in my experience, I just turn WiFi of and leave it off.
    Not correct. Wifi uses less battery. The problem is when you have wifi enabled but dont have a wifi signal. Then it uses more battery because the phone is constantly looking to connect to wifi. So enable wifi if it is available. But disable it when you are not in range of a wifi network. Also when using wifi you can disable data if you are concerned about wifi and 3g/4g running at the same time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Last edited by km75; 02-14-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    LadyHottShott likes this.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links