DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Locked Bootloader?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagick20 View Post
    That's definitely not for me. I like having a compact, portable, single device that runs all day on its own. I don't want to have to carry extra things 'just in case.'

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
    When you find an Android phone like that, please post it in the News section. Everyone would love an Android phone that ran at least all day on a single charge. I would too. Playing Word Fued, watching a 20 minute show at lunch, checking twitter, facebook, google+, etc., really runs down my battery. It use to only go down around 10% when I watched a show at lunch, now it's about 20% (my battery widget only shows 10% incriments).

Until then I carry an extra charger "just in case".

ETA: Like this example in the News section Motorola Planning a 24 Hour Battery Longevity Event For the Droid RAZR Maxx?

Of course those of us on this Droid 4 section are looking at a physical keyboard phone... I really like my physical keyboard, although I've used my dads SGII and it's not bad without one.
    Last edited by debdroid1a; 01-20-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add link
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    There are Android phones that last a full day. My Inc 2 lasted about 20 hrs.

On the bootloader...I hate it. My Bionic is definitely my last Moto device if they don't unlock/unecrypt the bootloader. That being said, if one doesn't care about root and mods, Moto makes some pretty solid nice phones. They are usually pretty good out of box.

Side note: Samsung just plain sucks at life. I have owned their garbage phones before. Looks like HTC for me in the future.
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Umm...my Droid 3 has regularly lasted for over 33 hours some days with fairly heavy use.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    is broken... Again
    Ok guys, not to be rude or anything, but if you need/want a battery comparison, its quite easy to start a new topic. I don't really care about the "gnex trolls", nor do I want to know about how bright the screen is on a Droid 3. Sorry to come off as rude, but this thread has exploded with irrelevant chatter about offtopic discussion.

Sent from my Banana Phone
    If you need any help, feel free to PM me, I'm glad to help where I can!
    Please check out my FAQ Thread. You might learn something!
    Air Force bound
    I'm not that beautiful girl in the avatar, thats my GF, stop hitting on me!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Ok guys, not to be rude or anything, but if you need/want a battery comparison, its quite easy to start a new topic. I don't really care about the "gnex trolls", nor do I want to know about how bright the screen is on a Droid 3. Sorry to come off as rude, but this thread has exploded with irrelevant chatter about offtopic discussion.

Welp...guess you should probably do some research for yourself like a big person and find out about the bootlader on your own! Not to come off as rude or anything...

6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    ^ agreed, let's keep it on topic

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    is broken... Again
    Welp...guess you should probably do some research for yourself like a big person and find out about the bootlader on your own! Not to come off as rude or anything...

I am doing research? I'm asking the android community if anyone has any information.

Air Force bound

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Also...what makes the difference?! The phone hasn't been released anyways

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Phone
    is broken... Again
    Also...what makes the difference?! The phone hasn't been released anyways

Alright, I'm not trying to insult you, or demean you, but a locked bootloader means less freedom when hacking or modding a phone. Motorola is notorious for locking their bootloaders, and thus restricted what the end user can do. Why does this matter to me? Because I want a phone I can have as much freedom as possible with. And I think most would agree with me when I say that being able to use a product you paid a sizable about of money for as you want to is pretty crucial to the process of deciding if its the corrrect fit for you. One of my criteria for buying a phone is being able to load ROMs on it. Its a personal preference, and I do not advise nor condem anyone who veiws things differently in that area.

I asked this also because I believe motorola locking the bootloader on their phone is more of a way to restrict their product to force it to function a certain way, without much freedom on the consumer end. Therefore, with that idea in mind, if I can confirm this phone does have a locked bootloader, I will stop support motorola, and take my business to another company that does allow for unlocking the bootloader.

If that doesn't answer your question, I can explain further. And please, don't take any of this sarcastically, or me trying to be a you know what. I just figured if I typed it all out, maybe we can both be on the same page. I imagine you have some interest in the Droid 4 yourself, since you have posted on this topic?

Air Force bound

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Alright, I'm not trying to insult you, or demean you, but a locked bootloader means less freedom when hacking or modding a phone. Motorola is notorious for locking their bootloaders, and thus restricted what the end user can do. Why does this matter to me? Because I want a phone I can have as much freedom as possible with. And I think most would agree with me when I say that being able to use a product you paid a sizable about of money for as you want to is pretty crucial to the process of deciding if its the corrrect fit for you. One of my criteria for buying a phone is being able to load ROMs on it. Its a personal preference, and I do not advise nor condem anyone who veiws things differently in that area.

I asked this also because I believe motorola locking the bootloader on their phone is more of a way to restrict their product to force it to function a certain way, without much freedom on the consumer end. Therefore, with that idea in mind, if I can confirm this phone does have a locked bootloader, I will stop support motorola, and take my business to another company that does allow for unlocking the bootloader.

If that doesn't answer your question, I can explain further. And please, don't take any of this sarcastically, or me trying to be a you know what. I just figured if I typed it all out, maybe we can both be on the same page. I imagine you have some interest in the Droid 4 yourself, since you have posted on this topic?

Wow...apparently you completely missed me mocking you. I know full well what a bootloader is all about and Motorola being notorious for locking them down. I am interested in the D4 only for the keyboard. My point in my overly sarcastic post about why it matters...that you obviously missed...is that you can't go and purchase the phone today. There's not even an announced release date. So...I was saying...why does it matter if you ask and even get your answer...because you can't even physically go obtain the phone if you received the answer you were looking for.

Also...I could care less about the bootloader. I've rooted a few phones here and there and it lasted about half an hour. When I pay a 'sizeable amount of money,' as you say...I would actually prefer to enjoy it directly out of the box as is and not want something I 'need' to monkey around with to get it like I want it. It's just a cell phone...imphasis on the PHONE.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links