It's "laser cut" "laser cut" "laser cut"...I don't care what they use to cut it, I care about what keys are present and how it works.
I haven't used it, but from watching the videos my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line. Why?
- lack of symbols on keyboard, probably necessitating a virtual symbol keyboard. That takes more time, makes you take your fingers off of the keyboard, and a virtual keyboard covers part of the screen thus hiding what you are editing/writing.
- a CAPS LOCK key. Is that a joke? It's the one key I never use on my PC so why would I want it on my phone? What was wrong with pressing SHIFT twice for caps lock? I can imagine hitting CAPS LOCK by mistake all the time. This key annoys the heck out of me. There are keys that are actually used that should be there. CAPS LOCK? Sheesh!!!
- @ symbol is no longer on it's own key and now requires SYM + 2. A step backwards.
- = symbol is on it's own key. How often do I use that? I appreciate the idea of trying to make it like a PC keyboard but can they think a little? I use @ much more than = on my phone so @ should have it's own key instead of =.
- microphone key is on the TAB key instead of by itself. I think it's cool that with one touch on the D3 I can start dictating. Now I guess you have to press SYM and then TAB to do this. A step backward.
- no ALT key. Is SYM the new ALT? In the past all of the Droid physical keyboards had both SYM and ALT. I wonder if this will cause any complications. Maybe, maybe not.
- no magnifying glass / search key. I guess you could still use the capacitive search key so perhaps this is a good idea for removing redundancy but the keyboard is technically less functional now.
Maybe you think I'm whining but I just wanted to list all of my concerns about this keyboard. It's disappointing just like the non-removable battery. I haven't touch this phone but I know it's not for me. Maybe when Google takes over Motorola they'll pull their heads out of wherever they're stuck right now.