DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (learning root)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdpolo26 View Post
    i am sure they can make an app to turn off the keyboards back light. Also it only goes on if the light around it is below a certain level so if you are in a lit room or office or outside it should be off. I know there are better screens but my approach to this is a bit more business minded, i wish it had a amoled screen but i am ok with out it.
    Roger that, pentile isn't deal-killer for me either. Just irks me that all the expense of the unnecessarily costly new battery type, extra water resistance, redesigned back, etc. plus the keyboard is what made the display downgrade necessary. And for no improved functionality whatsoever!
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBloatware View Post
    It's "laser cut" "laser cut" "laser cut"...I don't care what they use to cut it, I care about what keys are present and how it works.

I haven't used it, but from watching the videos my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line. Why?
    One you, missed: quote/apostrope at the top left??!

Looking back at this it occurred to me: It seems like figuring out how to use "laser-cut" backlighting would be at least a little bit harder than putting the keys in the right place, you know?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 02-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    NoBloatware likes this.

Learning Android root on a Droid X while waiting 4Godot (or the Droid "4G" -- whichever comes first...)

Perspective Instantiates Reality .

~
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    motorola droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Roger that, pentile isn't deal-killer for me either. Just irks me that all the expense of the unnecessarily costly new battery type, extra water resistance, redesigned back, etc. plus the keyboard is what made the display downgrade necessary. And for no improved functionality whatsoever!

( By DX w/DF app. )
    are pentile or amoled thinner?? i wasnt sure i was thinking maybe that had something to do with it... something tells me the amoled is thinner though. I think we may get all were asking for in the 5 but it will probably be comming out this time next year. the keyboard doesnt really bother me though. i never used the shortcut for paste,cut or copy. i really think this phone may put the final nail in blackberrys cuffin if they market it right.
    Last edited by tdpolo26; 02-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    motorola t605 install

proud motorola droid owner, droid 2 global owner, droid 4 owner
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    209 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    AMOLED is thinner, doesn't require a backlight, and can be fabricated onto flexible plastic substrate if needed to make a flexible display.

Unlike AMOLED, Pentile isn't a display technology. A Pentile screen can be either LCD or AMOLED. This link to an extreme close up of a Nexus One screen shows what Pentile means:

File:Nexus one screen microscope.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by Dave12308; 02-05-2012 at 08:41 AM.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (learning root)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    AMOLED is thinner, doesn't require a backlight, and can be fabricated onto flexible plastic substrate if needed to make a flexible display.

Unlike AMOLED, Pentile isn't a display technology. A Pentile screen can be either LCD or AMOLED. This link to an extreme close up of a Nexus One screen shows what Pentile means:

File:Nexus one screen microscope.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Helpful link. Donkey shank.

I sorta knew 'pentile' was more about structure than technology, but the discussion was keyed to quality and, as I recall, pentile is a compromise arrangement so it seemed apt.

( By DX w/DF app. )

Learning Android root on a Droid X while waiting 4Godot (or the Droid "4G" -- whichever comes first...)

Perspective Instantiates Reality .

~
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    263 times
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Not feeling it, but no biggie as I'm waiting for whatever drops with a good keyboard, good hands-on feel, and possibility of an extended battery.
    What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid IV
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBloatware View Post
    It's "laser cut" "laser cut" "laser cut"...I don't care what they use to cut it, I care about what keys are present and how it works.

I haven't used it, but from watching the videos my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line. Why?

- lack of symbols on keyboard, probably necessitating a virtual symbol keyboard. That takes more time, makes you take your fingers off of the keyboard, and a virtual keyboard covers part of the screen thus hiding what you are editing/writing.

- a CAPS LOCK key. Is that a joke? It's the one key I never use on my PC so why would I want it on my phone? What was wrong with pressing SHIFT twice for caps lock? I can imagine hitting CAPS LOCK by mistake all the time. This key annoys the heck out of me. There are keys that are actually used that should be there. CAPS LOCK? Sheesh!!!

- @ symbol is no longer on it's own key and now requires SYM + 2. A step backwards.

- = symbol is on it's own key. How often do I use that? I appreciate the idea of trying to make it like a PC keyboard but can they think a little? I use @ much more than = on my phone so @ should have it's own key instead of =.

- microphone key is on the TAB key instead of by itself. I think it's cool that with one touch on the D3 I can start dictating. Now I guess you have to press SYM and then TAB to do this. A step backward.

- no ALT key. Is SYM the new ALT? In the past all of the Droid physical keyboards had both SYM and ALT. I wonder if this will cause any complications. Maybe, maybe not.

- no magnifying glass / search key. I guess you could still use the capacitive search key so perhaps this is a good idea for removing redundancy but the keyboard is technically less functional now.

Maybe you think I'm whining but I just wanted to list all of my concerns about this keyboard. It's disappointing just like the non-removable battery. I haven't touch this phone but I know it's not for me. Maybe when Google takes over Motorola they'll pull their heads out of wherever they're stuck right now.
    I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are. I went this Sunday to Verizon, ready to "upgrade" to a D4, but after trying out its hard keyboard, I changed my mind. I could hardly believe I didn't get it, especially after have gone from a DI to a DII, then DIIG, and now DIII. Yeah, I know I can get used to it, but as of now it's not worth kissing good bye my DIII's keyboard (it kinda makes you wish they were interchangeable).

Besides there's no 4G in my area yet. I'll wait and see if by the time it gets here there are better options out there. Physical keyboards are still my best pick for phones. I too see more pros than cons over virtual keyboards.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are. I went this Sunday to Verizon, ready to "upgrade" to a D4, but after trying out its hard keyboard, I changed my mind. I could hardly believe I didn't get it, especially after have gone from a DI to a DII, then DIIG, and now DIII. Yeah, I know I can get used to it, but as of now it's not worth kissing good bye my DIII's keyboard (it kinda makes you wish they were interchangeable).

Besides there's no 4G in my area yet. I'll wait and see if by the time it gets here there are better options out there. Physical keyboards are still my best pick for phones. I too see more pros than cons over virtual keyboards.
    There is some (a lot) of nit-picking going on in that list. Even though I listed all of the "backward steps" I could think of, I'd probably be happy with the keyboard.

I'm more concerned about the non-replaceable battery and the possibility of a MAXX version.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Twitter
    @LegalAmerican4
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    How do you complain about something you haven't used? Especially calling it a step back, and worst Droid keyboard ever......

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX!
  9. Darth Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Android 2.1
    Only thing I hate about a keyboard is hard buttons, my phone has soft keys.

-AqworldThunder ^^ . *.* Thank me if i helped please!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    How do you complain about something you haven't used? Especially calling it a step back, and worst Droid keyboard ever......
    Because I looked at a picture of the keyboard.

And I didn't call it the worst Droid keyboard ever. I said "my preliminary conclusion is that this is the least functional keyboard ever in the Motorola Droid line". I then listed my reasons. How am I wrong? If I use the keyboard will the stupid CAPS LOCK disappear? Will all the missing symbols materialize? Will the @ symbol get it's own key? The whole point of this thread is to talk about the layout of the keyboard. Please share your opinions on how--in any way--the layout of the D4 keyboard is better than ANY of it's predecessors. Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to come up with one reason.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Links