DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Anyone think the D4 keyboard is a step backwards?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    liftedplane
    Phone
    Galaxy Note II
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    I think that is the thing with these phones...the keyboard is a personal preference and if you like it, you like and if you don't, you can go without it...I had the D1 and never used the keyboard (same with the d2g and d3)...I love the virtual keyboards on the bigger screens but that is just my preference.
    It is personal preference, i prefer to not have to look at my phone to type. With a virtual keyboard i have to, physical keyboard i don't, not to mention snes and gba games play better with a physical keyboard. If just rather have a bigger screen AND physical keyboard. Guess we can't win them all yet. Maybe a mini Bluetooth keyboard case for the bionic or nexus? Sounds kinda hokey

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    Myth's and legends that did not exist in yesterday's world will exist in tomorrows. ~Allanon
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    silverfang1977
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    I strongly prefer the hardware keyboard. I am a touch typist on the PC and love to type actual words, use punctuation, etc. The people who prefer the on screen keyboards are usually the ones who answer with "lol" "omg", etc.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 VRUDMI1 with Jelly Bean 4.3
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrpicdecadnce View Post
    the d3 keyboard is a step back.maybe not so much for the lack of symbols, but other things. That lack of a dedicated @ key ruins any typing smoothness you hope to acheive. And i cant understand how motorola could do that? A smart phones primary function is for communication. That includes a lot of emailing. The @ key gets used alot! Hopefully the device can prove us wrong when it gets released... i doubt it though.. keyboard does look cool though....
    You wrote D3 but you meant D4. Anyway, the @ symbol is going to be used more than CAPS LOCK. It is used when emailing people but also when filling out web forms, like when ordering stuff or logging into a web site. I'm not getting the D4 because of this. The Droid line has gone from a hacker's phone to just hacked up.

Personally, I'm keeping an eye on Nokia. I shudder to think that I would ever use any kind of Windows again but let's face it: I need the phone for work. If it doesn't have some way for me to efficiently and fluidly edit a document or code then the phone is not for me. Use the right tool for the job. If you're not into physical keyboards then, with all due respect, I don't know why you're in this neck of the forums.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    I ALWAYS use the Caps Lock rather then the shift key.

And my mother is one who is still stuck on her crummy old phone because she loves the keyboard. So hearing about the D4 having a keyboard and being the newest phone, let's just say she's gone insane/
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    The main reason I want a physical keyboard? I hate most of my screen disappearing for the virtual keyboard. I really need to see more than the little sliver of screen that is left!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBloatware View Post
    There are 2 benefits of a physical keyboard as I see it:
    1) you can see the whole screen when typing/editing
    2) makes entering key combos easier/possible. For example, for a quick copy paste or when entering weird key combos in a program like emacs.

#2 is the big reason I have to have a physical keyboard. I've tried using a virtual keyboard (like Hacker's keyboard) but it just doesn't work very well when ssh-ing and using a program like emacs.

Probably other reasons too, like:
    3) type without looking
    Reason one you gave is a HUGE advantage I think a lot of people overlook. And it just dawned on me that maybe you NEED those bigger screens when you don't have a physical keyboard so you can see more of what's going on as half your screen is taken up by a virtual keyboard....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
    NoBloatware likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I was a huge Motorola fan, but the last 4-5 months has really turned me off. I went Nexus in December and don't plan on coming back until Motorola decides they want to release (and support) higher quality phones less frequently. The sting of being trumped 2 months after release day is ridiculous. I know this doesn't bother a large part of the population, but I'd be willing to gather it bothers most of us here and the other main android based forums.

Unfortunately, this is one arena where iOS has Android beat. You feel a sense of pride knowing you are good for a year or so. Ideally, I'd want a release schedule between that of Apple and Motorola...kind of like Samsung Some of you may find this petty or spout the "this is tech, and there will always be something new coming" nonsense. My question to you is, why is Motorola the only company that handles it this way? Are they that much more awesome and can do so much more than the competition? The answer of course is no, they are not.

Back on topic, I personally think the D4 is extremely ugly. Guess I am in the minority.
  8. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Twitter
    BlackBlizzNerd
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2/Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joemontana View Post
    I think the D4 KB is a step backward, but not for any reasons you elucidate. I just think a physical kb is a step backward. Swype typing is awesome! Seems to take less concentration that hitting all the little keys.
    I know a lot of people love their physical kb so i'll shut up now, I just had to put that in.

Joe Fisher
    Kalispell, MT
    Coming from the OG droid and DROID 3, and now having the Nexus and using swype. And having swype on my DROID 3 when I typed in portrait mode, a keyboard is A LOT better then even that of swype or SwiftKey. Fast and more accurate. I do miss it sometimes. With a keyboard I almost never made mistakes typing. And while I type fast with virtual keys, autocorrect definitely saves me a lot.

The DROID 4 looks really ugly though. I loved the look of my DROID 3,it looked nice and sleek and my friends even thought it looked amazing.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
    II New Signature Finally! Made by Me II II Rooted Galaxy Nexus II
    II - AOKP AXIOM MORPHR - II
    II Want a signature like mine? Ask on Twtter! II

II Link to my work: http://tinypic.com/BenLand150 II
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Up till now I have always had a physical keyboard. I now have Razr Maxx. I use a program Thumb Keyboard on my Xoom tablet and I use this now on the Razr Maxx. It gives you a number pad and long press for all punctuation.

It is way faster than the physical keyboard and with haptic feedback, I actually type faster than with physical.

The longer battery and thumb keyboard has eliminated any desire for a physical keyboard. My past phones were D2G, HTC TP2, HTC Titan, Treo Windows, Treo Palm....

Trust me. I always was a proponent of physical keyboards. For my D2G i carried 4 batteries. Now with Razr Maxx and smart actions, I only need to charge at night or in the car only if I am using GPS. Battery is more important than physical keyboard.

Good luck...
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    motorola droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick0984 View Post
    I was a huge Motorola fan, but the last 4-5 months has really turned me off. I went Nexus in December and don't plan on coming back until Motorola decides they want to release (and support) higher quality phones less frequently. The sting of being trumped 2 months after release day is ridiculous. I know this doesn't bother a large part of the population, but I'd be willing to gather it bothers most of us here and the other main android based forums.

Unfortunately, this is one arena where iOS has Android beat. You feel a sense of pride knowing you are good for a year or so. Ideally, I'd want a release schedule between that of Apple and Motorola...kind of like Samsung Some of you may find this petty or spout the "this is tech, and there will always be something new coming" nonsense. My question to you is, why is Motorola the only company that handles it this way? Are they that much more awesome and can do so much more than the competition? The answer of course is no, they are not.

Back on topic, I personally think the D4 is extremely ugly. Guess I am in the minority.
    we are verizon people so we dont see all the devices samsung has listed Smartphones & Cell Phones | Samsung Mobile they have over 50 android devices listed for different carriers and so on. now motorola has gone a little release happy but every single company went a little crazy not as bad but everyone did there fair shair of to many phones. i am hoping that everyone takes a chill pill this year...
    motorola t605 install

proud motorola droid owner, droid 2 global owner, droid 4 owner
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links