DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid 4 and the future of QWERTY

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Droid 4 and the future of QWERTY

I'm still on my OG Droid I was contemplating upgrading when the Droid 4 comes out. It's beginning to look a lot less attractive, however. If people don't like what they see here and pass it up will manufacturers take this as a 'referendum' on QWERTY phones rather than recognizing the failures of the device itself?

What are the chances of seeing a QWERTY 4G LTE Android Device with a 720p screen and a removable battery sometime in 2012? Or is this likely to be the last of the QWERTYs
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    stock rezound mavrom d3
    I'm sure with technology and a wide spectrum of phone users phone manufacturers will continue to make atleast 1 phone with a physical keyboard imo. Someone was saying in here with the size of the screens and the ways that you can alter virtual keyboard sizes that maybe physical keyboards are becoming old technology. I like having the option of having both with my d3.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Physical keyboards have certainly been on the path to outdated technology as touch interfaces have gained mass appeal. You can pack more hardware into the same package without a keyboard, or the same amount in a smaller size. It's evident that keyboards are not as relevant as they used to be, but I also do not believe they will be fully replaced any time soon.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I posted this somewhere else, but they're now making bluetooth slider keyboards you can attach to the bottom iPhones. So if you want a keyboard you buy it separately. That may be the wave of the future. Especially if the D4 doesn't do very well. It was an extra $70 (but that was probably becuase it's an Apple product or would be used with an Apple product and they can get away with selling it extremely expensive). I saw it on HSN (a TV shopping channel--oh, I don't have cable so I was bored with what was on tv and flipping what channels I do have).
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteClouds View Post
    I'm still on my OG Droid I was contemplating upgrading when the Droid 4 comes out. It's beginning to look a lot less attractive, however. If people don't like what they see here and pass it up will manufacturers take this as a 'referendum' on QWERTY phones rather than recognizing the failures of the device itself?

What are the chances of seeing a QWERTY 4G LTE Android Device with a 720p screen and a removable battery sometime in 2012? Or is this likely to be the last of the QWERTYs
    That's a valid concern. One wonders where Motorola is going with this kind of machine, two steps forward and one step backward (with the non-removable battery). Are they intentionally trying to anger people? One wonders.
    Pat
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    This way they can release the Droid 4 MAXX and get all the money that would go to 3rd party extended battery vendors.

Personally, I love my D3. LTE would come in handy once in a while for sure but it burns battery power so I'd definitely be keeping it off most of the time. Besides I'm usually around WIFI. D5 for me. I'm on the odd numbers. 1...3...5
    Last edited by NoBloatware; 01-13-2012 at 12:39 AM.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Not necessarily. With extended use on any smart phone the battery needs to be recharged so poeple will buy 3rd party rechargers. I know, mines not made by Motorola so threy didn't earn any money from me for that purchase.

And the Maxx only mentions "talk" time,not data or streaming movies time.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid X (learning root)
    That, perish the thought, may be precisely vzw's intent with this allegedly "botched" release.

QWERTYs won't go away; business needs them. They may never again be top-of-the-line. Only time will tell.

What scares me is a future with no removable batteries. That is very possible.

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/DF app. )

Learning Android root on a Droid X while waiting 4Godot (or the Droid "4G" -- whichever comes first...)

Perspective Instantiates Reality .

~
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Wouldn't businesses just use lapdocks. Instead of traveling with a laptop, a lapdock, a phone and the cloud. Long emails will have to wait. Or tablets (and phones).

Unfortunately a lot of my managers have chosen iPhones. The top managers have also received iPads. Those that chose to respond to emails with their phone, write short emails. I don't think any of them with any phone have a keyboard.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by debdroid1a View Post
    Wouldn't businesses just use lapdocks. Instead of traveling with a laptop, a lapdock, a phone and the cloud. Long emails will have to wait. Or tablets (and phones).

Unfortunately a lot of my managers have chosen iPhones. The top managers have also received iPads. Those that chose to respond to emails with their phone, write short emails. I don't think any of them with any phone have a keyboard.
    Managers don't do any actual work though. People that write, edit documents, code, stuff like that prefer a physical keyboard. Right now, virtual keyboards are not good for that kind of work.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links