DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Navigation Dock IMPORTANT!

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarwash View Post
    - (IMHO Best feature) the USB + 3.5mm audio cable works like a charm: no fooling with bluetooth or separate FM transmitter or separate plug into the phone, just drop it in, clip it, and it's ready to go with just 1 cable coming off of the device.
    I'm really looking forward to this
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid 4, Wifi R2D2
    Great, I'm happy to hear such a positive review. I will be ordering one this week!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Ill take my blue tooth over the 3.5 plug any day. In my truck the mount sits kind of far from me, so switching songs would be a struggle while driving... with my BT I can use my remote for the radio to skip and search for songs... also the song scrolls across the radio screen, and looks quite nice, also handy because I can have the music playing then have the Nav up. I can use the remote to switch songs vs having to back out of the nav, bring up the music, skip how ever many songs, then back out of the music and and bring back up the Nav. all while driving.

You can keep your fancy 2 in 1 plug.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle360 View Post
    Ill take my blue tooth over the 3.5 plug any day. In my truck the mount sits kind of far from me, so switching songs would be a struggle while driving... with my BT I can use my remote for the radio to skip and search for songs... also the song scrolls across the radio screen, and looks quite nice, also handy because I can have the music playing then have the Nav up. I can use the remote to switch songs vs having to back out of the nav, bring up the music, skip how ever many songs, then back out of the music and and bring back up the Nav. all while driving.

You can keep your fancy 2 in 1 plug.
    I can definitely see Bluetooth working for some, especially those with Bluetooth built into their vehicle, but I was just giving the advantage of the dock with cables for those like me without built in Bluetooth (and who don't want to pony up for either a new car or new stereo & installation). For those who prefer Bluetooth, I'd still recommend the dock without cables (available from Verizon for $40). Either way, the dock itself is still worth it.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarwash View Post
    I can definitely see Bluetooth working for some, especially those with Bluetooth built into their vehicle, but I was just giving the advantage of the dock with cables for those like me without built in Bluetooth (and who don't want to pony up for either a new caror new stereo & installation). For those who prefer Bluetooth, I'd still recommend the dock without cables (available from Verizon for $40). Either way, the dock itself is still worth it.
    Sorry I should have said but that was geared toward the "no fooling with bluetooth" comment you made. Didn't mean anything by it, just having some fun... way you said that made it sound like even if you had bluetooth in your car it was a hassle to set up or use everytime. Took me less then 5 minuetsto set up and now when ever I set my phone in the dock it connects automatically.

Like I said was just having fun, no harm ment
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodle360 View Post
    Sorry I should have said but that was geared toward the "no fooling with bluetooth" comment you made. Didn't mean anything by it, just having some fun... way you said that made it sound like even if you had bluetooth in your car it was a hassle to set up or use everytime. Took me less then 5 minuetsto set up and now when ever I set my phone in the dock it connects automatically.

Like I said was just having fun, no harm ment
    No problem. The reason I said it is because I don't have built in Bluetooth, so I have a combo Bluetooth receiver/FM transmitter that I was using with my OG Droid. It worked well, but it was an extra step or two to turn on and set, and I am admittedly lazy!
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4 & OG Droid
    So,

As I suspected, the Otterbox commuter case for the Droid 4 will NOT fit into the car dock unless you trim the rubber bit off the bottom that is covering the USB/HDMI ports.

If you try to fold this back, the phone won't nest down in the dock and thus won't enter car mode.

And yes, I removed the plastic insert first.

The cheap $6 case that I ordered off of amazon Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Cell Phones & Accessories fits just fine in the car dock.

I will be using the lesser case as my daily, and save the OtterBox for when I'm not docking.

I love the car dock otherwise. Well engineered compared to the Seidio I used to have for the Droid 1
    Last edited by Brandon314159; 02-22-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    -Brandon
    KD7INF
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon314159 View Post
    So,

As I suspected, the Otterbox commuter case for the Droid 4 will NOT fit into the car dock unless you trim the rubber bit off the bottom that is covering the USB/HDMI ports.

If you try to fold this back, the phone won't nest down in the dock and thus won't enter car mode.

And yes, I removed the plastic insert first.

The cheap $6 case that I ordered off of amazon Amazon.com: Black Rubberized Hard Case Cover for Verizon Motorola Droid 4: Cell Phones & Accessories fits just fine in the car dock.

I will be using the lesser case as my daily, and save the OtterBox for when I'm not docking.

I love the car dock otherwise. Well engineered compared to the Seidio I used to have for the Droid 1
    Good to know... that means I won't be getting that case... ill probably go with the case and holster combo...
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon314159 View Post
    Sweet! That's the case I have too (I think). I ordered the vehicle mount last week and was wondering whether my case would work.
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4 & OG Droid
    BTW for anyone interested:

Did some power supply tests with this powered dock for the Droid 4.

Adapter: Provided Cig Plug --> USB x2 Motorola Brand
    Input: 12V DC Agilent DC Power Supply

Adapter w/ no Cable: 16mA
    Adapter w/ Cable: 16mA
    Adapter w/ Cable Plugged Into Base Unit (no phone): 18mA
    Adapter w/ Cable Plugged Into Base Unit (with fully discharged phone powered on): 336mA

I'd suspect that the extra 2mA is some standby current for the technology in the docking station for the audio output (since it only connects to the USB port, not the HDMI port).

Figure useful numbers for anyone leaving this plugged in 24/7

Later,
    -Brandon
    KD7INF
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links