DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ics rom

  1. Junior Droid
    yastern's Avatar
    Member #
    190011
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    20
    Phone
    Droid OG
    #1

    Ics rom

    Will the new ICS releases for Bionic and Maxx make it easier to develop a good ICS ROM for the Droid 3?
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Junior Droid
    spasch's Avatar
    Member #
    17124
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    18
    Phone
    Droid
    #2
    It looks like hashcode spelled it out pretty well on his blog. The 512mb of ram vs. 1 gig on the bionic seems to be a pretty good hurdle. We may have to wait for hashcode and the other developers to have a look but I am not holding my breath.

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Master Droid
    GreenSnow's Avatar
    Member #
    226815
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    328
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid3
    #3
    IMO the D3 was just bad timing all in all, I personally love my D3 but it definetly was on the cusp of an evolution, the duel core is amazing but the 512mb RAM is really going to hinder us in things to come (I.e. ICS).

    And with the bionic and razr release just shortly after the d3 (not to mention other names out there) is a little irritating yes but just makes it all that more exciting when I can upgrade :-)

    Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk


    My Steel Droid D3 is Smarter than your Honor Student
  5. Developer
    tcrews's Avatar
    Member #
    31907
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,353
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by yastern View Post
    Will the new ICS releases for Bionic and Maxx make it easier to develop a good ICS ROM for the Droid 3?
    No, because of the locked bootloader so you can't replace the kernel with anything other than a Droid 3 kernel from Motorola. So Motorola would have to release an ICS kernel for the Droid 3....and if they did that...they might as well release ICS for the Droid 3 too.

    Kernels for other devices do nothing for devices with locked bootloaders.

    The Droid 4 is much closer (slide out keyboard an all) than the Bionic or Razr and it's kernel will do nothing for the Droid 3 either.

    This is a complete goof on Motorola's part.....they could easily do this. They just don't care to do so, and I'm sure Verizon is pushing them to not do it either as Verizon wants everyone off 3G phones.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

  6. Junior Droid
    mordocai's Avatar
    Member #
    281401
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tcrews View Post
    No, because of the locked bootloader so you can't replace the kernel with anything other than a Droid 3 kernel from Motorola. So Motorola would have to release an ICS kernel for the Droid 3....and if they did that...they might as well release ICS for the Droid 3 too.

    Kernels for other devices do nothing for devices with locked bootloaders.

    The Droid 4 is much closer (slide out keyboard an all) than the Bionic or Razr and it's kernel will do nothing for the Droid 3 either.

    This is a complete goof on Motorola's part.....they could easily do this. They just don't care to do so, and I'm sure Verizon is pushing them to not do it either as Verizon wants everyone off 3G phones.
    I'm new to the scene here, but I thought there was recent news that they got past the secure bootloader and got a kernel running? So is this mean things might get better for us soon?
  7. Theme Developer
    vbhokiefan's Avatar
    Member #
    43560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA Beach VA
    Posts
    939
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    vbhokiefan
    Phone
    OG / D3 / S3 / ?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mordocai View Post
    I'm new to the scene here, but I thought there was recent news that they got past the secure bootloader and got a kernel running? So is this mean things might get better for us soon?
    Yeah, this thread is a bit old. Look for Hascode's Kexec Alpha 2 thread. That's the most current one.
    TEAM MAVERICK FTW

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

all of ics roms for droid 3
,
best ics rom droid 3
,

best ics rom for droid 3

,

droid 3 ics rom

,
droid bionic best ics rom
,
ics rom droid 3
,
ics roms for motorola droid 3
,

motorola droid 3 ics rom

,

rom ics motorola droid 3

,
room ics motorola droid 3
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+