DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need a guide to update rooted D3 to the 5.7.906 OTA.

  1. Junior Droid
    Psyfer9983's Avatar
    Member #
    256215
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #1

    Need a guide to update rooted D3 to the 5.7.906 OTA.

    Hello. I got a message on my droid last night wanting to update to 5.7.906. I have look for hours here for a guide on how to do this but really couldn't find one that I felt comfortable with. Right now my phone is on 5.6.890 and it IS ROOTED. I want to update it with the 5.7.906 OTA and still be rooted. Anybody care to post a walk-through/guide to help me do this? Thanks.





    Would be nice if Google would just have an option for root access without going through hoops to get it.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Theme Developer
    vbhokiefan's Avatar
    Member #
    43560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA Beach VA
    Posts
    939
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    vbhokiefan
    Phone
    OG / D3 / S3 / ?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyfer9983 View Post
    Hello. I got a message on my droid last night wanting to update to 5.7.906. I have look for hours here for a guide on how to do this but really couldn't find one that I felt comfortable with. Right now my phone is on 5.6.890 and it IS ROOTED. I want to update it with the 5.7.906 OTA and still be rooted. Anybody care to post a walk-through/guide to help me do this? Thanks.Would be nice if Google would just have an option for root access without going through hoops to get it.
    Is it just rooted? or do you have a bootstrap installed?

    If it is just rooted, take the update. Then search for Motofail for the D4. Run that and it will re-root you. Done!

    If you have a strap installed, reply back with which one and we'll go from there.
    TEAM MAVERICK FTW
  4. Theme Developer
    vbhokiefan's Avatar
    Member #
    43560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA Beach VA
    Posts
    939
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    vbhokiefan
    Phone
    OG / D3 / S3 / ?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #3
    Oh and its not Google's fault, it's either Moto or VZW (or both) depending on how you look at it.
    TEAM MAVERICK FTW
  5. Junior Droid
    Psyfer9983's Avatar
    Member #
    256215
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by vbhokiefan View Post
    Is it just rooted? or do you have a bootstrap installed?

    If it is just rooted, take the update. Then search for Motofail for the D4. Run that and it will re-root you. Done!

    If you have a strap installed, reply back with which one and we'll go from there.
    This is the bootstrap I have installed

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid3.bootstrap

    I don't think I will get in trouble for posting that link since its linking to Google Play.



    Quote Originally Posted by vbhokiefan View Post
    Oh and its not Google's fault, it's either Moto or VZW (or both) depending on how you look at it.
    I know, but I wish Google would enforce guidelines/rules for companies that want to use Android OS that gives us (the user) the option to have root access or not.
  6. Theme Developer
    vbhokiefan's Avatar
    Member #
    43560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA Beach VA
    Posts
    939
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    vbhokiefan
    Phone
    OG / D3 / S3 / ?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyfer9983 View Post
    This is the bootstrap I have installed

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid3.bootstrap

    I don't think I will get in trouble for posting that link since its linking to Google Play.





    I know, but I wish Google would enforce guidelines/rules for companies that want to use Android OS that gives us (the user) the option to have root access or not.
    Ok, personally, I would uninstall the bootstrap. Take the OTA, reroot with Motofail, and install Safestrap (2.01 is the latest) It's called Safe for a reason ;-)


    And as far as the rules, it wouldn't be Open Source then
    TEAM MAVERICK FTW
  7. Junior Droid
    Psyfer9983's Avatar
    Member #
    256215
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by vbhokiefan View Post
    Ok, personally, I would uninstall the bootstrap. Take the OTA, reroot with Motofail, and install Safestrap (2.01 is the latest) It's called Safe for a reason ;-)


    And as far as the rules, it wouldn't be Open Source then
    Do I uninstall the bootstrap via the app manager without running the app first? And whats this Motofail, I read across it a couple of times but don't know what it is.

    Also, will the OTA remove clockwork recovery? I had to use the bootstrap again to get it to boot into it to do a backup last night. I wish this droid 3 was like my old d1 where if something goes wrong, I could run rsdlite and flash the stock rom.
    Last edited by Psyfer9983; 08-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.
  8. Theme Developer
    vbhokiefan's Avatar
    Member #
    43560
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    VA Beach VA
    Posts
    939
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    vbhokiefan
    Phone
    OG / D3 / S3 / ?
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #7
    check pm
    TEAM MAVERICK FTW
  9. Junior Droid
    Psyfer9983's Avatar
    Member #
    256215
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #8
    Thanks, worked great.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. So You've Rooted. Now What? (Or, a N00b's Guide to Post Root.)
    By furbearingmammal in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 285
    Last Post: 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  2. Simplified ICS 6.16.217 Update Guide
    By myfishbear in forum Droid 4 ROMS
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM
  3. Update - Free Law Dictionary and Law Guide
    By slinky in forum App Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM
  4. MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide
    By craigcrawford1988 in forum Motorola Milestone
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 08:38 AM
  5. Guide to update the Droid Incredible manually
    By JohnDroid in forum Android News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Search tags for this page

5.7.906 droid 3 root
,
droid 3 latest ota update
,
droid 3 ota update
,
droid 3 root 5.7.906
,
droid 3 update 5.7.906
,
how to root droid 3 5.7.906
,
root droid 3 2012
,
root droid 3 5.7
,

root droid 3 5.7.906

,

root droid 3 on 5.7.906 ota update

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+