DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Root or Not to Root that is the question

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid3

Root or Not to Root that is the question

I am New to all things android and am trying to learn as much as possible. I am undecided on whether to root or not and would like to ask the community what the ups and downs are. I LOVE tinkering and getting inside
    things to see how they work(regularly void warranties) and making them my own but with Very Limited(NO)funds if I brick my phone I am hosed!!
    I have customized the Droid3 to where I like it so far and if I do root will it all be lost? Is it easy to convert back to stock? Am I treading where I don't belong in trying to own my phone as much as possible?
    If I posted in the wrong place I apologize and if this is a stupid set of questions I am sorry.
    Thank you in advance for anything advice,tips,tricks, etc.
    madness takes its toll
    please have exact change

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I am with you. The main reason I would root would be to get a wireless hotspot but I believe you can do this with PDAnet without rooting so my top reason is gone. My second would be to remove bloatware but I don't think you can do that simply by rooting and there are other things needed that are not available yet. I'd probably be just doing it for tinkering sake which is not a good reason given the risk.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 and Droid X2
    I don't see how you can even manage to brick your phone during the root process. I used oneclick root so all I had to do was open up the program on my computer then it says pug in the phone, now this is where you could mess it up. If you have a sudden urge to unplug your phone during the automatic root process and just can't resist but to unplug it. Other than that it will do everything on its own, you just watch it restart it self three times and then it will say its done then you unplug it, that's all it takes. After that then you can get apps to freeze or remove bloatware, different roms, maybe someday soon overclock it, free mobile hotspot
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I hear you....my issues are a couple of things (speaking personally don't want to hijack the thread)

1. Not sure if, once rooted, things like the most recent OTA would be missed or would screw up the phone
    2. My understanding is there is no need to root for wifi hotspot with PDAnet
    3. Not even sure how to install a ROM or back it out once rooted.
    4. Not sure how to un-root

So in a nutshell, I think I could easily root it...but then what? Not a lot of step by step guides for noobs like me once its rooted....Trying to educate myself but it's been difficult.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Quote Originally Posted by fishacura View Post
    I hear you....my issues are a couple of things (speaking personally don't want to hijack the thread)

1. Not sure if, once rooted, things like the most recent OTA would be missed or would screw up the phone
    2. My understanding is there is no need to root for wifi hotspot with PDAnet
    3. Not even sure how to install a ROM or back it out once rooted.
    4. Not sure how to un-root

So in a nutshell, I think I could easily root it...but then what? Not a lot of step by step guides for noobs like me once its rooted....Trying to educate myself but it's been difficult.
    1. WHen you root most people use custom ROMs. these are like modified firmware. they usually have all the bloatware taken out and mods to make the phone better and faster. So when you root the developer will put the upgrades in the ROM for you. or you can simply unroot and update, then root again

2. Rooting is supposed ot allow different tehtering methods, but its nothing i ever looked into

3. Go to the steel droid page subforum under ROMs for Droid 3. it has lik 11 steps to install a rom. they look weird but its really really easy. and ill be happy to help.

4. unroot is jsut a clikc of a button.

@scott240 it is possible to brick it but very hard. but somehow i managed to do it my first itme. i got stuck in an infinite boot. went to verizon, told them it randomly statred doing that. THis was when i had a droid x2. then i told them i didnt want the droid x2 anymore cus it kept giving me problems and they gave me a free droid 3. i bricked that one while rooting and they gave me another droid 3. but to let you guys know, they bricked because i didnt follow directions, not because there was anything hard about it
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 and Droid X2
    I installed the seel rom and still no wifi tether capability. If you try barnacle it will give you an error saying port already in use. So I have to do the fm hack again, but if you are scared about rooting I don't suggest you try the fm hack just yet because its alot more involved and can mess things up. But there are clear instructions about how to do it.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    1shane15
    Phone
    razr HD
    Quote Originally Posted by scott240 View Post
    I installed the seel rom and still no wifi tether capability. If you try barnacle it will give you an error saying port already in use. So I have to do the fm hack again, but if you are scared about rooting I don't suggest you try the fm hack just yet because its alot more involved and can mess things up. But there are clear instructions about how to do it.
    in the op of steel droid he gives you a link to tether beacause its not included
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 and Droid X2
    Quote Originally Posted by shane1 View Post
    in the op of steel droid he gives you a link to tether beacause its not included

That is great news. I just got my replacement phone lastnight so I rooted it and installed the rom that's as far as I got so far
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3 and Droid X2
    I just looked for the hotspot add on but its not an add on, there is a link a little further down that just gives you the directions fof the fm hack. So it looks like I still have to do the fm hack
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Rooting your phone has many benefits over a non rooted phone. The first benefit is to remove, or in this case freeze (Titanium Backup) unwanted or unneeded apps. For those worried about OTA updates, it would behoove you to choose the freeze method to disable stock apps instead of completely removing them. There seems to be a system check included with the official updates that causes them to fail should a device not have the apps loaded that are locked. OTA updates do intact still work and install whether or not you phone is rooted, however a reroot will be required. As far as the free wireless tethering and hotspot, root is not required since to my knowledge there is no other functional method other than the hack mentioned earlier. The speed increase obtained by disabling stock apps makes rooting worthwhile all by itself, but the access granted to system folders and files means the ability to customize visually ever aspect of your UI (ROMS). For me one of the main reasons I love Android phones is because they operate on open-sourced software. This benefit is lost if you allow open-source to remain locked.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links