DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: D3 Losing the Dev Love?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3, D1

D3 Losing the Dev Love?

Are developers still working on the Droid 3? It seems like there are less developments now that the Bionic has come out. Could someone give me an update on where we are for the bootloader and if possible does anyone know a speculated date for the release? I'm sorry to be vague but I just can't seem to find any valid information.
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus/Droid 3
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg View Post
    Are developers still working on the Droid 3? It seems like there are less developments now that the Bionic has come out. Could someone give me an update on where we are for the bootloader and if possible does anyone know a speculated date for the release? I'm sorry to be vague but I just can't seem to find any valid information.
    Bootloader is locked. Unless we get a leak, it may stay that way. Recovery is continuously being developed. What is being worked on with that is what they are calling working in a "sandbox" meaning they are designing it to essentially be a dual boot. A new rom would be flashed to a separate partition in order to keep the original system in tack, so if anything goes wrong flashing something, you wont brick as easily. When that is completed, roms will start rolling out. Development definately is continueing on the d3

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
    Development takes time, Donations definitely make it easier Donate Here
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D3, D1
    Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I was just curious because I see all of the updates to the droid bionic being posted and the first rom has already been released for it, so i was just wondering what progress there was on the D3. I guess the bootloaders are just coded differently. Thank you again for the reply
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Nschneider7
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    I feel that only because the bionic just was released it's definatly getting a lot of attention. It by no means that devs are favoring one device over the other. If a dev owns a D3 and wants to make a rom he's going to do it on a D3. Also I feel that the software and hardware is so similar between the devices getting a rom made on a bionic/D3 will be ported over to the other device so easily. Hence why D3 owners waited for root and when they found that they used the same exploit to get the bionic rooted before it even came out. Or any moto device running 2.3.
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus/Droid 3
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by dmg View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I was just curious because I see all of the updates to the droid bionic being posted and the first rom has already been released for it, so i was just wondering what progress there was on the D3. I guess the bootloaders are just coded differently. Thank you again for the reply
    Another thing to add is the d3 cwm based recovery is different than the bionics. The developer is taking it to the next level so that it can be a dual boot. As long as that original system is in tact, you will never be bricked. Not sure if the bionic bootstrap allows you to boot into recovery from an off state, but that may be another diffence since you can be turned off and select bp tools to boot into cwmr

Development takes time, Donations definitely make it easier Donate Here
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    D3 Mav 4.0
    Quote Originally Posted by buckmarble View Post
    Another thing to add is the d3 cwm based recovery is different than the bionics. The developer is taking it to the next level so that it can be a dual boot. As long as that original system is in tact, you will never be bricked. Not sure if the bionic bootstrap allows you to boot into recovery from an off state, but that may be another diffence since you can be turned off and select bp tools to boot into cwmr

Is there any more information on that? I'm curious as to how that would work with dual. Would we select a boot up sequence? IE; Custom or Stock when powering up to prevent brick? Sounds cool, I can't wait to see how that turns out....
    Long live the "D"

D3-Maverick 4.0 witta hotspot hack!
    XOOM-Black ICE
    D2G-Liquid- retired
    D1-Project Elite-retired
  7. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    woodyman has a D3. He is in school. I'm sure at some point he'll have something working.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct

Links