[How to] Update Swype
I've seen a lot of people asking how to get the new swype beta, so I'm going to post the instructions that worked for me. Mind you, I tried this all myself through trial and error, so if steps can be removed great. But as of now all I can say is this is what worked for me.
- First your phone needs to be rooted, I suggest using the one click method thats floating around
- Freeze the Swype apk (I used titanium backup)
- Reboot (i just did this because I like to reboot after freezing apps just to be safe, could possibly work without the reboot)
- Go to swype's beta page, log in and download the swype installer
- Run the swype installer, follow the directions
- then its going to ask you if you want to install swype to system, say yes to that. Once swype is installed, you probably still won't be able to pick it from the keyboard and inputs menu in settings (i wasn't).
- Now go back to titanium backup and unfreeze the swype apk
- Reboot (again, don't know if this is necessary but I do it after messing with system apps)
- Go to settings>language & keyboard>Input> select swype (you should be able to longpress on a text field and select your input that way as well)
Thats it, you should have the new swype beta installed on your phone. It will be easy to notice if it worked because the beta has the old swype look which is much different (and better looking) than the preloaded look. Hope that helps you guys. If anyone finds steps that can be removed or something, let me know and I'll update these steps.
Enjoy your new swype with gestures!
thanks...worked perfectly...i love the beta version so big thanks...
Do you have to use Titanium Backup? I tried these same steps but instead I moved the swype.apk to another folder I made, ran the beta installer, and then moved the swype.apk back from the folder to /apps/ using root explorer. It hasn't seemed to work because swype is still a white color..
Hmm I really don't know. I think you could try moving it out of system and into the data/app folder, and then upgrading it. I think what's happening is you're moving swype to somewhere the installer doesn't recognize, so when you move it back you're essentially just replacing it again with the old one. Move it to data/app then run the installer. See if that helps.
Side note: if you're rooted and plan on messing with the phone I HIGHLY recommend titanium backup. Its the number one app any root user should own. 100 percent worth every penny
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
freezing wasn't working for me. i had to move the system version to my SD card, search all instances of Swype from /data and delete them (don't worry, they get recreated), then run the installer as normal and reboot. black, navy and grey, with swypecuts and a personal dictionary are go.
sarreq I did what you said, and the swype installer worked. I had the beta working for about half a day, and then all of a sudden it just went back to force closing... What do i do??
EDIT: I found my old Swype.apk that I was looking for. I moved it to my sdcard.
Updated phone with OTA, rooted, deleted /data/ swype files, ran installer again, and I have the beta working right now. I will see how long it lasts this time.
This method worked for me. I also did this same process with the Slacker that's pre-installed and it worked too, but I didn't have to restart my phone.