DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Issues with 2.3.20 OTA Update: Droid 2

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Battery Issues with 2.3.20 OTA Update: Droid 2

Hey Guys!

So I recieved some batteries that I bought off Ebay in the mail earlier today, that are supposedly aftermarket, but moreso just appear to be Official motorola batteries, just with an older manufactured date on them. I test them out in my Motorola Droid 2, and they work and charge just fine; all is well.... Then later this evening, my Droid 2 notifies me that there's an OTA update to the Android OS Version 2.3.20. Without knowing any better, I accepted the update, and let the phone install the update. Once the phone completed, I was troubled by something that happened with the Battery Icon; For some reason instead of the Green Charging battery indicator that was there before the update occured, It became a Grey Batery with a Question Mark (?) in the middle of it. After I tried to hook it up to the charger, it gave me an Error Message that told me that the battery was not an Official Motorola Battery, and to Change it out with an Official one.

I just recently got hooked up with this phone about a month ago, and I've been having troubles with it left & right, and not to mention the multiple calls to verizon on these various issues, and major headaches...

Is there any way that i can Roll back this update to the previous version, so I can use my aftermarket battery again??

Much Help is appreciated!
    Thanks Guys!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    What about getting a stand-alone wall charger (abt $4 on eBay) and charge those aftermarket batteries separately, and see if they work? Then you can use your Droid without tethering it to a charger.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster View Post
    What about getting a stand-alone wall charger (abt $4 on eBay) and charge those aftermarket batteries separately, and see if they work? Then you can use your Droid without tethering it to a charger.
    All in all it sounds like an interesting idea; especially given the fact that I normally went through the stock battery like crazy & it would defintiely make it easier to charge multiple batteries at once before leaving on trips,
    But I wouldn't exactly have a concept of just how much battery life i'm eating through when the battery is low and the indicator isn't working, nor would the battery even be able to charge via the car charger while i'm driving around using the GPS Navigator, Not to mention that it refuses to charge when hooked up to the computer, so it would be a major issue when I have the phone tethered as a modem and it just eats up the juice during web browsing. it's just not that practical, though I do appreciate your reply.
    Last edited by AL1EN DR01D; 11-06-2010 at 05:47 AM.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Does anyone have any Suggestions/thoughts/comments on how to fix this issue yet? possibly by flashing the firmware somehow?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr MAXX HD
    Not being snide,but have you tried shutting down and doing a battery pull first?A lot of OTA issues were fixed by doing pulls.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Yes, As well as Multiple Battery Swaps.
    The newest Gingerbread Update (?) 2.3.20 has apparently disabled the use of older/or aftermarket Batteries
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has anyone Even Attempted or Successfully Gotten the Firmware Version Rollled Back from 2.3.20 to 2.2.20 or any other version in between?? would the steps be any more complicated than flashing to factory default version (2.2.19 or 2.2.20 i believe, when I got my phone?) through the earlier versions???
    Last edited by AL1EN DR01D; 11-06-2010 at 11:51 PM.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has Anyone Other than myseslf Encountered this problem??? Can anyone please tell me what i should do to fix this issue or point me in the right direction??

PLEASE HELP!!!!
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    I am having the same problem and i contacted Motorola and here was there response.. Seems to be rather automated.

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. Iíve reviewed your e-mail and Iím ready to help.

I'm so sorry for that inconvenience. Please follow these troubleshooting steps first to try to resolve this issue:

1. Power your phone off and on.

2. Perform a Software Update.

From the home screen, touch the home key.
    Touch Settings.
    Touch About Phone.
    Touch System Updates.
    If there is a software update available, select update.

3. Perform a Factory Data Reset.

If you continue to experience issues, performing a Factory Data Reset will clear the phones memory and put the phone back to the original factory default state. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature; everything is deleted. Nothing stored on the MicroSD will be affected. Your contact and email information is automatically backed up to the Gmail server. Your information will be restored when you login with your user name and a password.

From the screen of your phone, touch the home key.
    Touch Settings.
    Scroll down and touch Privacy.
    Scroll down and touch Factory Data Reset.
    Touch Reset Phone.
    Touch Erase Everything.
    After the phone powers back up, sign in with your Gmail account to restore your phone.

4. Please make sure you are using the Motorola charger that came with the device. (Chargers may look the same, but that does not mean that they will charge your phone the same. If the charger you are using is not designed specifically for your device, your device may not charge.)

5. Please check the gold prongs of the battery and the phone. If the battery prongs are damaged, please replace the battery. If the prongs of the phone are damaged, please send the phone in for repair.

6. Check to make sure that the battery is not cracked, chipped, or broken in any way. Replace the battery immediately if the battery is damaged.

7. Disconnect an appliance in your home that is working and using electricity. Place the charger in this electrical socket. (If the phone charges the problem is with the electrical socket.)

8. If the battery discharges quickly, please make sure you do not have programs running in the background. (GPS, music, and other features of the phone does cause the battery to drain faster. When the phone is not in use, make sure the apps are not running.)

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Neil
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    I'm having the same problem with the two aftermarket batteries I got on Ebay with charger for $9. Everything worked fine until this update came along -- what a scam! Talk about potential liability for preventing you from using other batteries - restraint of trade.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links