DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: keyboard glitches by adding extra characters like "theeeeeeeeee" instead of "the"

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2

keyboard glitches by adding extra characters like "theeeeeeeeee" instead of "the"

I know my Droid 2 is getting old, but it is all i can afford right now. Recently I have been having trouble on the multi-touch keyboard. When I text the general keyboard adds additional characters to whatever word I am attempting to type such as "theeeee" instead of "the". I have cleared the cache and reset (cleared) the data and turned off the next word prediction. can anyone offer advice? Phone has never been dropped or damaged. Thanks

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman309 View Post
    I know my Droid 2 is getting old, but it is all i can afford right now. Recently I have been having trouble on the multi-touch keyboard. When I text the general keyboard adds additional characters to whatever word I am attempting to type such as "theeeee" instead of "the". I have cleared the cache and reset (cleared) the data and turned off the next word prediction. can anyone offer advice? Phone has never been dropped or damaged. Thanks
    The capacitive screen (Digitizer) for the OG Droid and D2 are seemingly especially sensitive to things such as moisture and dust, dirt and grime that may make it down along the edge of the glass between the glass and the black aluminum surround. I've have experienced some of the same type of symptoms you described.

I've found that with either a very thin piece of plastic like a cut from a clear plastic retail packaging or a piece of notebook paper, using a corner - if you slide it into that gap and drag it from corner to corner along all 4 sides, and then pull upward, it will drag out with it a good bit of crud. After doing that, my screens have been normally responsive again. My son is notorious for getting all manner of food remnants stuck in the edges of my D2, so I go through this often.

Give that a try and let us know.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2

completed

i did as you suggested and removed some crud from the sides of the digitizer, however it did not accomplish the fix. More specifically it is not the touch screen that i am having this issue with, it is only the "Quewrty keyboard" i perofrmed a reboot after the cleaning and it is doing the same thing. thank you for any additional help in this matter.

Links