DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contacts. Take it from the top

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2

Contacts. Take it from the top

Not the end of the world but an inconvenience nonetheless. Going through my contacts which are sorted by letter is a pain especially if you accidentally touch the wrong contact (ex. Instead of "Dean" you accidentally hit "Debra") because when you back out of this mistake, the contact list is no longer showing the "D's" it is showing the "A's" which of course is the top of the contact list.

This is annoying as I was very used to my Blackberry which made finding contacts a breeze (dont get me wrong I am happier with my D2 than I was with my BB)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and remedied it somehow....Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicerock10 View Post
    Not the end of the world but an inconvenience nonetheless. Going through my contacts which are sorted by letter is a pain especially if you accidentally touch the wrong contact (ex. Instead of "Dean" you accidentally hit "Debra") because when you back out of this mistake, the contact list is no longer showing the "D's" it is showing the "A's" which of course is the top of the contact list.

This is annoying as I was very used to my Blackberry which made finding contacts a breeze (dont get me wrong I am happier with my D2 than I was with my BB)

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and remedied it somehow....Thanks

I rarely use my contact list. I long press on the search button on the ffront of the phone and say call target. Boom, it dials targe. Hungry for Chinese? Call Chinese..

The other way to do it is instead of rolling through the contact list just go to contacts, search, and type in the name. After a few letters your contact will pop up.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

My D2 doesn't do dat

When I hit the contact icon, it starts at the top of the list. Then as I slide my finger up the screen, a little menu icon appears and allows me to scroll fast thru the alphabet. If I stop on a name and select it (a Joan, for instance), then realize it's the wrong name and hit the return arrow, I am right back on the contact list where I left off (at Joan, and I can continue down to John). BTW, these are my gmail contacts.
    Perhaps you are hitting the return arrow twice and going to the home screen? In that case, you will start over at the top.
    Last edited by Lenagainster; 02-20-2011 at 03:44 AM.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    Oh thats interesting. Im not sure but im guessing im not viewing my contacts as Google contacts. Im using the default Contacts button. So this makes me wonder is there a separate Google contacts app? I know that Google has a hand in my contacts as they seem to with everything these days but its annoying whether i use the scroll motion or keyboard to find my contacts.

5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm having the same issue with my D2 and although the voice dial is a terrific option, sometimes you just need to look up a number or the spelling of someone's last name.
    Not only is the contact look up a bit of a pain but I'm trying to find a way to organize all the contacts! Everything got imported when I synced my phone and now I have duplicates and random email addresses and the menu options don't include a select tool nor do I have the option to create folders (I would have to create folders in my Yahoo account then re-import everything, then do the same with my gmail and hotmail contacts).
    Any suggestions?
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2
    Now that your mention it, my contacts are riddled with duplicates too. D2 is great except for the phonr aspect imo

7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    There is (or should) be an option for editing the display of contacts and other settings to keep the phone book (contacts) clean. I'm on liberty 1.5 so not sure if it's different for stock or what have you.

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by juicerock10 View Post

I rarely use my contact list. I long press on the search button on the ffront of the phone and say call target. Boom, it dials targe. Hungry for Chinese? Call Chinese..

The other way to do it is instead of rolling through the contact list just go to contacts, search, and type in the name. After a few letters your contact will pop up.
    I'm not much of a talk to my phone type of guy even though the voice search works amazingly well. I use Gesture Search. It's made by Google and it allows searching for contacts, apps, music, bookmarks and phone settings by drawing characters on the screen. You can trigger the search app to open with motion by turning the screen upside-down and turning it right-side up again.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Great recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by freezyfreaky View Post
    ..... I use Gesture Search. It's made by Google ......
    Wow! What a neat app. Didn't know about it until you mentioned it. This should help my BH who has a terrible time trying to find contacts on the phone. Thanks for bringing it up!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by freezyfreaky View Post
    ..... I use Gesture Search. It's made by Google ......
    Wow! What a neat app. Didn't know about it until you mentioned it. This should help my BH who has a terrible time trying to find contacts on the phone. Thanks for bringing it up!
    Glad you found it useful!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links