DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music + Micro SD = FAIL

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Music + Micro SD = FAIL

So, I am on my second D2G and my 5th MicroSD.

I can transfer music any way I want til about 3gb - once I hit that limit, the phone will lock up any music program and the micro SD will not stay mounted properly.

I have done everything from buying 2 other 8gb MicroSD cards (other than the 16gb class 10 I intend to use, both different brands from the 16 gb and each other - Kingmax, PNY, SanDisk), reformatting all 3 non-stock cards to various settings (including emulating the cluster size of the stock card that came with the phone). I have system restored and re-flashed the phone from an SBF file, tried other ROMs, etc.

The cards all check out 100% healthy in 2 different tests on PC and on the Mac disck utility and all work fine in my other android based phones. The stock card is the only one of the 4 total that works in the Droid 2 Global... Which baffles me and is the only reason I fear its not the phone.

On top of all the card tests, I have loaded music files to my cards via Airsync (Wifi), DoubleTwist (USB Connection), Direct dragging them to the mounted phone (USB Connection), and plugging the MicroSD into an adapter and directly copying over. This had been done mainly Mac, then the USB drag-n-drop and adapter drag-n-drop were done on a PC again (card formats and testing between to verify my Mac was not the culprit). All cards continued to test clean 100% working and all other Androids are happy with the cards.

The Droid 2 Global will still do the black screen thing once the phone has fully initialized the card(s). Once the screen "sleeps" it stays black, but a back light comes on like it tries when I try to resume it from sleep.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Switched out the phone. Same issues, except that this one doesn't have the messed up keyboard like my last phone. No more Droid 2s... Verizon is going Global.

So, more testing... I split my music in 2 parts (each less than 4gb. I know FAT32 has limitations on single files >4GB but I have heard rumor of file transfers >4GB having similar issues to FAT32). First part went on, songs played, seemed fine (about 3.4gb of music). Second part went on (about 2gb more). Phone has the issues.

Like I said, I am on a Mac (which seems to be a similar tone with the few other cases I could find). My other Android devices are completely fine with the cards themselves... The Droid 2 Global is just very finicky...

Any other ideas? It doesn't appear to be cluster size (tried both 4k and 8k again), but could be:

1. Corrupt file in latter half of playlist (except it doesn't bother other Androids)
    2. Mac/FAT32 issues (again, doesn't affect other devices)
    3. Card issues on phone, not liking something (Stock card was class 2 8gb, tried 2 class 4 8gbs and a class 10 16gb)
    4. Combination of any?
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I'm having a similar issue, except I get a transfer error and disk read errors while the card is still plugged into the computer. Windows 7 with 16GB HCHD

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D2G
    subscribing. same issue here. 2 gb of music max before phone starts locking up and having issues. sucks cause my blackberry played a solid 8gb of music no problem, same with my htc imagio.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I hope someone has an answer... I was hoping to retire my dying ipod... I have an extended battery for this phone on the way too...

I think I can max my cards out to 3gb before it does this lock up., but thats about 8gb shy of what I want to put on the 16gb card...

Glad (?) to know its not just me... no one else seems to have this issue, as far as I can tell, so I have had no luck. If I find anything, I will make sure to post it ASAP, since I know you are most likely as frustrated as me.

EDIT:

@TinMan09 - re-reading your post, seeing your other devices don't have issues, I am wondering if this is a sill kernel issue with the D2G. Since this happens on both my Mac and PC, I am not sure what to pinpoint. You have anything that you noticed, or is it coming down to my findings of a max amount of songs before it dies?
    Last edited by xPhoenix777; 02-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Just a thought, is your SD card formatted fat instead of fat32?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    FAT32... I also used the "format SD card" option on my phone a couple times to be sure it wasn't a PC format and that did nothing different.

Good idea though, cause that could be the problem with such symptoms.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    I have over 4.5gb on my Droid 2 and it all plays fine. I use the default music player and just put all the tracks in a folder called Music that is on the root of the SD Card.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miketoasty View Post
    I have over 4.5gb on my Droid 2 and it all plays fine. I use the default music player and just put all the tracks in a folder called Music that is on the root of the SD Card.
    Same here, 6gb of music and 4gb of Movies....zero issues.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Ya... I have the same, it works in all but my Droid 2... I will give it another round of tests tonight, see if I can come up with anything.

Anyone have any issues with a certain file type or SD card speed?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links