DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to find the rom that is right for me

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I am currently using the fission rom all this week so ill take all questions about that. If I do not answer immediately be patient. I am not on the forum all day just during periods at a time.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    airforcegeek
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    I am currently using the fission rom all this week so ill take all questions about that. If I do not answer immediately be patient. I am not on the forum all day just during periods at a time.
    Do you mean you are using the fission rom that is currently out or the new RC available on the website? I've been curious to try this one, but i've had such luck with Squidly's which was first ROM i've ever tried that I didn't bother trying other's yet.. (clue word yet).
  3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I am on 2.2.2 the one on the website looks to be for the droid x I can try to find the dev and get that info for you.
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Ima add something here...during this time Ima invite the dev of the rom to tell us about themselves and the group and during the week ask them to answer questions about the rom. So this will give people a chance to learn more about the rom.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Being the dev of fission released a new version I will be trying that this week. Again I will not post how I feel about the rom because that is not the point of this thread. I will use it to answer questions and give tips on how to install and make the best out of your rom experience.
  6. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Those using 2.3.1 on the droid 2 the dev noted it is safe to use the 2.3.20 sbf if there comes a need for it.
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    Ensure that when you are flashing a theme that you be patient I was tempted to do a battery pull but it takes a while and you will be at the droid eye for a lil bit.
  8. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    VERY important!!

Quote Originally Posted by pc747 View Post
    Ensure that when you are flashing a theme that you be patient I was tempted to do a battery pull but it takes a while and you will be at the droid eye for a lil bit.

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    That's a big 10 4

There have been several times I felt tempted to pull the batt on first boot. Just sit back and wait to feel that vibrate.

tappin and a talkin
  10. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I said before that during the time I use a dev's rom I would ask them some questions so people can get a little insight. Now I am not going rock star with it and asking them for their autograph because that would be whack IMO, but this will let you see sort of the mind behind the rom.

SO here are my questions (my questions are in red) to Angdroid and his answers.

1) Tell us a little bout yourself, your crew, what yall do, and what got you started with android and developing for it.

2) With the "locked bootloader" many devs were afraid to take a crack at making roms what made you take it on?

3) What is fission and what are your future goals for this rom?

4) Here is a tough question but I know it in the back of people's minds. Though Koush, Jrummy, and other devs have a rom manager or a mod type app on sale in the android market. Why are you "selling" a rom manager and what is the real difference between the light and full version? And are you going to put fission manager on the market?

5) being that you have a base with Aosp roms have you looked into collaborating with some of the droid 1 devs so they can tey to port some of their roms to the droid 2/x/global?

Thanks for your time and continue you work on this nice rom.

My first Android device was the G1 when it first came out. I was a long time Windows Mobile user and attempted to make the switch when the G1 came out but I was not able to get a cell signal in the apartment so I went back to AT&T and to HTC WinMo devices. I switched to a Droid 1 after I had an issue with AT&T customer service and knowing WP7 was going to be a stinker so I decided to make the switch. It wasn't until this past July or so that I made the switch.

I guess you can say I started my development at that time. First thing I did was do a search for droid forums which led me to droidforums.net. Read all the guides where I learned how to root, theme and some other stuff. From there it led to me to Koush's work and cvps. Followed their guides and created a ROM or two for myself. Was nothing worth publishing since it was based off of their work and just contained my little tweaks and settings I liked.

2) With the "locked bootloader" many devs were afraid to take a crack at making roms what made you take it on?

My stubbornness made me take it on. I could not stand blur after using generic Android for a few months but wanted to upgrade to the Droid 2.

3) What is fission and what are your future goals for this rom?

Fission is our Blurless ROM for the Dorid 2, Droid X, Droid 2 Global, soon to be on Motorola Milestone 2 since there have many requests lately for it and hopefully Droid Pro.

The name came to me quickly after seperating Android from Blur

The future goals of this ROM is to carry it over to new Moto Android devices. What myself and other team members have learned over the past few months can be carried over to future Android devices by Motorola that use Blur. I am very happy with the Moto Droid series of phones and Verizon service so I see no reason to change any time soon.

A good example of this would be the new Droid2 Global ROM that was just released. I was able to get it up and running fairly quickly with what was learned from the Droid 2. Moto did make some changes to it which made it a bit more difficult to convert the source of the Global into more of a generic Android build. So hopefully they do not lock it down more with each new device.

4) Here is a tough question but I know it in the back of people's minds. Though Koush, Jrummy, and other devs have a rom manager or a mod type app on sale in the android market. Why are you "selling" a rom manager and what is the real difference between the light and full version? And are you going to put fission manager on the market?

That is a tough question?

I do not see the difference between the apps you mentioned and FRM.

I think there has been a lot of wrong information spread around and hopefully this clears it up.

I like to call Fission ROM Manager contribution ware at this point. We do not have a minimum price and offer a great way for you to install ROMs and add ons to your device.

The ROM, hotfixes, themes that devs wish to put on FRM and many other add ons for it can be found on the Lite version.

Fission ROM Manager full has more content, options and you are not just "buying" the ROM Manager. There are planned apps that will be hitting the market for a small price which will be on FRM Full for no additional fee. You also have a direct support email to myself and in the short future to other team members. For people who donate over $25 get a Team DeFuse Got Root? T-Shirt to go with FRM and future apps.

I actually think our model is better than Koush's model (Disclaimer: I am not knocking ROM Manager nor Koush). We do not have a set price for the app and we are starting to share "donations" with devs who are creating themes for Fission. It is not much but a way for everyone to get a little something.

5) being that you have a base with Aosp roms have you looked into collaborating with some of the droid 1 devs so they can tey to port some of their roms to the droid 2/x/global?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links