DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous Noob

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2

Nervous Noob

Hey all. So I am thinking it is time to upgrade to GB seeing as how our update has been pushed back to an unforeseen date. I know nothing about rooting though and am fairly terrified to destroy my phone.

I had previously installed z4root which worked fine and i used it to rename some .apk in the startup. While i am confident in my ability to follow a guide, I guess i am just overwhelmed with the number of different roms.
    1. How do you decide which one to choose?
    2. If a rom doesn't work out for you, how difficult is it to switch?
    3. do you need to completely wipe the phone again?

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    csclouse
    Phone
    Droid1, Droid X, Droid2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemansir View Post
    Hey all. So I am thinking it is time to upgrade to GB seeing as how our update has been pushed back to an unforeseen date. I know nothing about rooting though and am fairly terrified to destroy my phone.

I had previously installed z4root which worked fine and i used it to rename some .apk in the startup. While i am confident in my ability to follow a guide, I guess i am just overwhelmed with the number of different roms.
    1. Just flash a rom, try it out, and if you like it, keep it. Its all personal preference so you must choose the right one for you.
    2. It is very easy to switch. just boot into recovery (using Kousch's bootstrapper) and wipe cache/data and install the new rom.
    3. you need to wipe data before installing a new rom. Get Titanium backup from the market(for free) and it will back up all of your apps even when you switch roms. Make sure you back your contacts up either on your sd card or google too.

Really, custom roms are the way to go. I reccommend trying either HeXen or Angel. but its all up to you.

Also, do you have a droid 2 or a droid 2 global? I saw droid 2 in your profile.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2
    damn it sorry!!! i totally thought i was in the D2 forum

When using Titanium, do you just back up EVERYTHING to the SD card?

Clouse... what is it you dig about Angel or Hexen?
    Last edited by dudemansir; 06-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    csclouse
    Phone
    damn it sorry!!! i totally thought i was in the D2 forum

When using Titanium, do you just back up EVERYTHING to the SD card?

Clouse... what is it you dig about Angel or Hexen?
    I just back up everything with titanium. and if you just have a regular d2 i would go with liberty rom first and see if you like it. I believe they have a pretty stable liberty gingerbread. But whats nice about all custom roms, not just angel or hexen, they improve battery life and the themes are very nice. Lots of performance tweaks as well. You will find those with most custom roms.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2
    yeah i was taking a look at liberty. just lots of stuff i am not totally sure of. right now i am following http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ashing-d2.html

I guess i am finding the bootstrapping section to backup my room a bit confusing. so you i use bootstrap to backup the current rom (stock) i am using at the moment before putting the new rom in. after adding the new rom, if i want to go back to stock i run bootstrap and find the previous rom or something?

"get your phone to the exact state it was in at this point....all you would do is unroot, remove a few apps, and you are totally stock and ready to return it should you need to. Of course you can always go the SBF route as well."

just unrooting gets me back to the previous rom? what does that mean remove a few apps?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    csclouse
    Phone
    yeah i was taking a look at liberty. just lots of stuff i am not totally sure of. right now i am following http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ashing-d2.html

I guess i am finding the bootstrapping section to backup my room a bit confusing. so you i use bootstrap to backup the current rom (stock) i am using at the moment before putting the new rom in. after adding the new rom, if i want to go back to stock i run bootstrap and find the previous rom or something?

"get your phone to the exact state it was in at this point....all you would do is unroot, remove a few apps, and you are totally stock and ready to return it should you need to. Of course you can always go the SBF route as well."

just unrooting gets me back to the previous rom? what does that mean remove a few apps?
    When you make a backup, you can open the bootstrapper app and go back to that exact state that it was in before. to completely unroot, you need to remove the bootstrapper(this app blocks verizon updates etc...).
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2
    liberty seems to have some bugs floating around. i was thinking of giving zombiestomped or apex a run
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    csclouse
    Phone
    Go for it. Its all personal preference. If u need help, just pm me
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global VZW
    Why don't you try the CM4D2 release?

It can be found at Rootwiki and it might even be officially supported on the Cyanogen site by now!
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    There isn't really a surefire way to tell which rom is best. The best way to choose a rom is to try one, and if it runs nice on your phone, then you keep it.

If the rom is laggy or slow, switching to a new rom is as simple as downloading the new rom, wiping, and installing it.

Yes, you need to wipe your phone again.

However, wiping your phone is not as bad as you think. It takes me maybe 15 minutes to setup everything after I completely wipe everything.

Here's how I usually install new roms on my friends phones:
    1. Backup apps and data with Titanium backup pro
    2. Backup contacts just incase
    3. Backup the current rom.
    4. boot to recovery and wipe data etc.
    5. install new rom
    6. go to market and install titanium backup pro and begin restoring.

Also, for launchers like ADW Launcher, you can backup the settings and the homescreens so you don't have to setup anything but the widgets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links