DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any interest in a sort-of-ROM?

1. Vermilion
    Member #
    Twitter
    @Fenuxx
    Phone
    Incredible 2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    From what I understand, (though don't quote me on this, I could be completely wrong) when freezing an app, it just renames the .APK. Thus, the app can't be run, but it's still there if you need it to be.

Completely removing it altogether removes all references to the app (or in this case, the references aren't even created to begin with) within the Android filesystem. It's cleaner, debatable whether or not it's "faster".

However, if you're concerned with receiving OTAs, then custom ROMs aren't for you, and sticking to freezing APKs is your best option. I've completely removed the ability to receive OTAs from the system (I think, since we have no OTAs to test with, unless I built on top of the original, 2.4.29, framework to try, I can't be 100% certain).
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    D2G
    I don't really care about OTA's but some Roms for the D2G are too buggy and a compromise. Fission seems to be a dead end now and Liberty is ignoring the D2G. Stock is slow and battery draining although stable and if you can keep the stability and extend battery life that'll be worth while.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    What's the difference between freezing an app and removing it entirely as far as performance?
    No Performance difference whatsoever but by freezing it makes it much easier to restore so you can receive OTA updates.

OTAs will not work unless all the files from the stock rom are present.

Freezing gets you the same performance benefit but is quickly undoable when it's time to upgrade.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    JaredSartin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    What's the difference between freezing an app and removing it entirely as far as performance?
    No Performance difference whatsoever but by freezing it makes it much easier to restore so you can receive OTA updates.

OTAs will not work unless all the files from the stock rom are present.

Freezing gets you the same performance benefit but is quickly undoable when it's time to upgrade.
    There is a performance increase, generally speaking. The app is renamed, therefor the system doesn't load it. It is still present on the phone, for OTA quick restore purposes. There are guides on how to accomplish this throughout the forum. I highly recommend freezing apps if you are not actively pursuing a ROM, then you can at least restore for OTAs.

I have a significant jump in performance and battery life when I freeze much of the unnecessary apps. Removing it permanently may yield a slight bit more performance enhancement, since its not on the phone. But seeing as the phone has 8gb internal storage, there is no need to go out of your way to remove the app. If we had less internal storage, removing it would have more impact on performance.
  5. Vermilion
    Member #
    Twitter
    @Fenuxx
    Phone
    Incredible 2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Another update.

I've modified my original goal to now go a bit further. Here's what I've done so far:

• Modded (black background) stock MMS App (pulled from CyanogenMod)
    • Stock Android calendar app
    • OI File Manager integrated (several testers requested an integrated file manager for ease).
    • LauncherPro integrated (replaces stock Blur launcher, and is far superior)
    • SpareParts added in

The only Blur elements that remain are:

• Camera/Camcorder
    • Gallery (I actually like it better than the overly sluggish Gallery3D)
    • Phone App/Contacts (I tried to replace it, but it just caused massive force closes everywhere, maybe at some point I can solve that)
    • Theme/Framework

Everything seems to run very smooth, and once I have at least a couple of my testers try it out, I hope to get it out to the public to try out.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by xPhoenix777 View Post
    I have a significant jump in performance and battery life when I freeze much of the unnecessary apps. Removing it permanently may yield a slight bit more performance enhancement, since its not on the phone. But seeing as the phone has 8gb internal storage, there is no need to go out of your way to remove the app. If we had less internal storage, removing it would have more impact on performance.
    My statement was in regards to a difference between Removed apps and Frozen.

Either method for removing bloat will give you the performance advantage your seeing but Freezing allows you to easily go back when it's OTA time
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links