DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interested in a solid billet aluminum case for your D2/D2G? Know Solidworks?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuysFinishLast View Post
    aluminum laying around
    you may experiment with aluminum, but it will obliterate your wireless signals
    GS4
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    I'm not doing this because current cases don't work for me. I'm doing this because I think it would be a neat project, even if I only ever made ONE for me. I just thought there might be some people here who were better at this than I am. As it is, I can take measurements and draw things up, as well as work with the guys who DO know solidworks, etc. My grandfather's been doing this for longer than I've been alive, and likes DIY projects, he's helping me.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuysFinishLast View Post
    I'm not doing this because current cases don't work for me. I'm doing this because I think it would be a neat project, even if I only ever made ONE for me. I just thought there might be some people here who were better at this than I am. As it is, I can take measurements and draw things up, as well as work with the guys who DO know solidworks, etc. My grandfather's been doing this for longer than I've been alive, and likes DIY projects, he's helping me.
    i wouldnt mind jumping in on designing a case but id need dimensions & layouts. it might be possible for me to spend some of my own time @ work doing this. after the model is made it can be saved in a format that is friendly to cam/cnc. but i think additional software packages are necessary to fully convert a 3d model to cnc code that would drive a machine.

if u have such resources ill see what i can do on my end. but for production runs ur going to need to go to a machining house

posted via android
    GS4
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Well, I wouldn't exactly be doing production runs. I'd do one or two runs to fill the needs of forum members. I don't expect to sell a bunch, or turn a profit, just thought it would be fun, and if I can make it work, it might appeal to some members. As for a machining house... My grandfather owns a multimillion dollar company with every CNC machine you could want, so that's no issue haha. Also, there's a plugin for solidworks that will take anything you make and automatically convert it to g code for CNC machines which is pretty amazing, IMHO.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    D1,D2G,DPro,&I'll cut u w/RAZR
    Hells ya I want one of these cases for sure make sure to post when you get them all worked out

Sent from my Superior Android Device
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    While i dont have any helpful knowledge i would absolutely love to have a case like you describe.

If only there were a way to design it so that it could actually boost signal reeception :/

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    i want one
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Rooted but not Rom'd
    Most definitely love one of those. I've been looking up other cases for cellphones and while I agree that you might end up with a faraday cage like scenario, aluminum tends to be a fickle metal when it comes to being electrically charged so it may end up doing nothing to the signal. (Most cages are made of a composite of mostly iron or copper due to their conductive properties) Guess trial and error are needed! I'd send off a build, but I don't have the software anymore since college. Still would love to be in the first batch of ones when they come out!
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    i still cant see a solid metal case on this phone ... it would be multi-piece with hinges & other misc parts ... if it was one-piece youd end up scratching the phone trying to get it on ...

posted via android
    GS4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links