DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cm6 vs CM7

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    876 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    No problem!! And I was surprised too, I just clicked on "stable" for the heck of it.

Thinking about flashing it on my spare phone just for kicks.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I am running 6.1.2 on my D1 and using it as a SIP phone for my home number. It is the most stable ROM I have run on the D1. And it does have power widgets, so no you do not need CM7 to get the widgets.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I went back to 6.1.2 after trying to get 7.1 to play nice on my D1. Even with a 128 MB swap partition and V6 Supercharger script (6,8,26,28,30,32) the system bogs down after about a day and needs to be rebooted. It's even worse with compcache. The camera app is also unreliable. I have the same setup with 6.1.2 and it's smooth like butter with hardly any issues. This is with the deprimed kernel, same V6 settings, 128 MB swap partition, and a 656 MB ext3 partition with around 175 apps installed on the phone.

I can't really think of any lost features other than some nicer ring and notification tones and a few extra tweaks, but I'll take stability any day. I also have better battery life with CM6.
    CM 7.1 | Deprimed kernel
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    kcorbnamron
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
    I am running 6.1.2 on my D1 and using it as a SIP phone for my home number. It is the most stable ROM I have run on the D1. And it does have power widgets, so no you do not need CM7 to get the widgets.
    By power widgets, do you mean the power toggles which reside in the notification pull-down?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    cm 6 is more stable on my phone
    Last edited by nowetdio45; 11-29-2011 at 11:54 PM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Dam people can't beleave all these people haveing trouble with CM 7. I've been running it since 7 became avilable. No worries!! I would find it very hard to go back!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @DarthShawner
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMack View Post
    I went back to 6.1.2 after trying to get 7.1 to play nice on my D1. Even with a 128 MB swap partition and V6 Supercharger script (6,8,26,28,30,32) the system bogs down after about a day and needs to be rebooted. It's even worse with compcache. The camera app is also unreliable. I have the same setup with 6.1.2 and it's smooth like butter with hardly any issues. This is with the deprimed kernel, same V6 settings, 128 MB swap partition, and a 656 MB ext3 partition with around 175 apps installed on the phone.

I can't really think of any lost features other than some nicer ring and notification tones and a few extra tweaks, but I'll take stability any day. I also have better battery life with CM6.
    Are there any tricks to getting ext2/3/4 and swap working with CM6? I am using 7.1 now and Link2Sd but its been so long since I've set it up originally that I can't remember if I needed to do anything special to get it to work. A search gives me nothing much to go on (at least that I can see). I also run Deprimed kernel if that makes any difference.

I agree that I would rather have stability at this point than the extra bells and whistles.

Thx!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by shawner47 View Post
    Are there any tricks to getting ext2/3/4 and swap working with CM6? I am using 7.1 now and Link2Sd but its been so long since I've set it up originally that I can't remember if I needed to do anything special to get it to work. A search gives me nothing much to go on (at least that I can see). I also run Deprimed kernel if that makes any difference.

I agree that I would rather have stability at this point than the extra bells and whistles.

Thx!
    You need a kernel that supports sd-ext. Deprimed is a good choice. Back up your SD card and format it either with ROM Manager or a partition editor on your PC (e.g. GParted). You must have your partitions in this order: FAT32, ext3 (or ext4), and linux-swap. Run Link2SD and it will offer to place the appropriate scripts for mounting the ext partition. Reboot your D1.

Now you can move whatever was on the FAT32 partition to the ext3/4 partition. To do this, first move those SD apps to the internal memory then use Link2SD to create a link for each. You can check off everything when prompted. Reboot when finished.

The advantage? The ext3/4 partition won't mount when you set up your D1 to transfer files and you won't need to wait for all of your apps2sd to be recognized and load.

One major caveat: DO NOT WIPE cache or Dalvik cache via CWR! When the cache gets rebuilt it will be on the internal memory and you'll run out of space. If lucky you can relaunch Link2SD and do a batch operation on all of your linked apps (create link and check off everything). This will move things from your linked apps back onto the ext3/4 partition.

Based on that caveat it should go without saying that you have your desired setup (ROM and kernel) and do not plan to make any more changes.

BTW, CWR will do a backup of your ext3/4 partition if it detects it.
    CM 7.1 | Deprimed kernel
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @DarthShawner
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4
    Good deal! I couldn't remember if I needed to mount the ext partition first before running Link2Sd. I already have the card all set up and running it with CM7 right now, so if I am correct in my thinking (which may or may not be the case) then I should be able to wipe, load CM6.1.2, load deprimed, then Link2Sd and run with it... correct? I use rzrecovery instead of CWR so I'm not sure how that might affect things, though I doubt it will make a difference.

Thanks for the fast reply! Hopefully I can get this done tonight.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links